We all hate them, Dinos! I have a cure...

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think it does act on the dinos within the tissue of the coral. I'm sure the ones that perish are just absorbed or broken down by the coral cells.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think it does act on the dinos within the tissue of the coral. I'm sure the ones that perish are just absorbed or broken down by the coral cells.
I monitor the tank all day for any signs of zooanthelle expulsion or loss.
So far no findings of this reaction.

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't change any water during the 3 days as the half life is short just like h2o2
My wife has a book on every medication out there with any wanted info ;)

1/2 life of metronidazole is about 8 hours in humans but that is with liver and kidneys metabolizing and excreting drug. Curious, what makes you suggest it is similar in a reef tank

Wonder if fish get nauseous when vodka dosing and metro tx, lol

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I monitor the tank all day for any signs of zooanthelle expulsion or loss.
So far no findings of this reaction.

Oops...sorry I thought you said on the dinoflagellates in the coral tissue. Why would it harm the zooanthelle?

Half life is determined by how fast the drug is eliminated/metabolized by the organism is used in. Those half life figures are for humans or the drugs intended target use. In our tanks I'd be reluctant to guess if/how fast it's eliminated by our skimmers, the inhabitants of the tank and the test of our filtration system.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manny, I'm glad that you gave my method a try and I'm glad that it worked for you. It just goes to show that weather you use my or twilliards method there's some major progress being made to treat one of the worst things we have to deal with as reefers! That is one of the things I love about this hobby, there is always treatments or processes evolving that push ahead from where we are now in the hobby. Also manny thank you for trusting that my process will work even though you and I do not know each other or have even spoken to one another other than on here. Also a big thank you to Twilliard for chiming in on this topic!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops...sorry I thought you said on the dinoflagellates in the coral tissue. Why would it harm the zooanthelle?

Half life is determined by how fast the drug is eliminated/metabolized by the organism is used in. Those half life figures are for humans or the drugs intended target use. In our tanks I'd be reluctant to guess if/how fast it's eliminated by our skimmers, the inhabitants of the tank and the test of our filtration system.
The zooanthelle is a dinoflagellate which made me worry that I would loose the corals.
I am assuming the biological life such as the dinoflagellates may make the lifespan of the medicine short.
So what is protecting the zooanthelle within the coral? Such a great question.
I have no way to test the presence of the medicine in the water so I have been watching internal cell structure and activity to get an idea. As I move on with this I will have a better understanding of metronidazole.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manny, I'm glad that you gave my method a try and I'm glad that it worked for you. It just goes to show that weather you use my or twilliards method there's some major progress being made to treat one of the worst things we have to deal with as reefers! That is one of the things I love about this hobby, there is always treatments or processes evolving that push ahead from where we are now in the hobby. Also manny thank you for trusting that my process will work even though you and I do not know each other or have even spoken to one another other than on here. Also a big thank you to Twilliard for chiming in on this topic!
Sorry no intentions on hijacking your thread at all. Just information thank you for sharing with me :)

FF337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe we should make seperate threads for this. I don't even have dinos but I like seeing the hobby progress and after reading this it can be confusing to the average joe keeping the methods apart and successes.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zooanthelle is a dinoflagellate which made me worry that I would loose the corals.

I'm confused. I thought zooanthelle were algae, not protozoans? The target life forms typically don't metabolize/breakdown the antibiotic, usually it's the infected animal that does. In the aquarium I really don't know what eliminates it other than our filtration (carbon, skimmer, etc.)

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused. I thought zooanthelle were algae, not protozoans? The target life forms typically don't metabolize/breakdown the antibiotic, usually it's the infected animal that does. In the aquarium I really don't know what eliminates it other than our filtration (carbon, skimmer, etc.)
Zooanthelle are a family of dinoflagellates :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zooxanthellae

DeeBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot dang! I didn't realize it but I already had Metronidazole on hand in my fish medication stash! :D Lets see if this can finally put an end to these nasty creatures.

IMG_0382.JPG

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's now been 3 days since i uncovered tank and returned to my normal lighting schedule...no dinos!
Don't know if it's too early to tell but they might be gone!...[emoji16] [emoji106]

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's now been 3 days since i uncovered tank and returned to my normal lighting schedule...no dinos!
Don't know if it's too early to tell but they might be gone!...[emoji16] [emoji106]

That's great Manny, I knew that it would work for you brotha, thanks again for having faith. now you can get back to enjoying your tank instead of dealing with them things! Keep me updated bud.

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great Manny, I knew that it would work for you brotha, thanks again for having faith. now you can get back to enjoying your tank instead of dealing with them things! Keep me updated bud.
Yessir!
Btw hownlong before you di a WC?

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I waited a couple of weeks but then again it is hard me to get nitrate to show in my tank so I don't do to many waterchanges to begin with, only when my PO4 starts to get up there.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back