OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, and I'm arguing that can be misleading. Using the Amazon example, it would be like if all the 5-star votes are cancelled out by the same number of 1-star votes, but all the 1-star votes are for totally irrelevant reasons and there no way to find that out.
Ahhh I see what you mean :)

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When would this actually happen here though? This seems like something that would happen very rarely on this forum. The only way I even see it happening is someone unhappy with their order starts to follow people around when they try to sell something and downvote them, but that already happens where you'll get phantom "KNOWN SCAMMER" posts on someone's sale thread.
[/QUOTE]
this^^^

U

User1

View Badges
We have discussed it before, and the consensus was no. We don't want to become reddit. Instead of downvoting bad advice, give the correct advice, or politely say " x usually doesnt work, instead the OP should try x"

You raise some good points here. Personally speaking the reaction score is a bit of an oddity because we really don't know what people are reacting to. What does it mean? Is a low number bad? A high number great? Ranked across all members? Above all is it better to be balanced between messages and reaction score or is this nothing more than popularity and he or she with the most becomes the homecoming king / queen? All fair questions to be answered (figure of speech).

On the other hand what is correct advise or who to say what is correct? The hobbyist/poster/person who replies is giving nothing but their interpretation of it. Hopefully based on experience but we all know how that goes. Sort of like the running joke of the Tang Police with 40 to 75 gallon tanks... When you read those threads depending on your view it is bad advise after bad advise after bad advise.

I'd nuke the reaction score but that is just my opinion. Side note was thinking of you the other night @Crabs McJones during family movie night. Spies in Disguise - lots of glitter. Sadly I busted out laughing and said OMG rather loud and when asked what was so funny outside of the movie it was tough to explain.... Anyway - if you haven't seen the movie yet - worth a laugh.

Hope all here, on this forum, are doing well and riding out the storm. Hobby on!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can give them a hand up but you can't give them that finger? That's how we roll here.

How about an X or O option? X means you think the post should be deleted and O means the post has zero merit?

Of just don't use any hand signal and give the post a Love, or a Laugh, or a Wow, or a Sad face, or don't approach the like button at all? I'm stilll trying to clarify what nothing at all mean except that either the comment wasn't worth reading? OR that you didn't read it?

Communication is the most difficult thing. Hit me with the sad face.

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can give them a hand up but you can't give them that finger? That's how we roll here.

How about an X or O option? X means you think the post should be deleted and O means the post has zero merit?

Of just don't use any hand signal and give the post a Love, or a Laugh, or a Wow, or a Sad face, or don't approach the like button at all? I'm stilll trying to clarify what nothing at all mean except that either the comment wasn't worth reading? OR that you didn't read it?

Communication is the most difficult thing. Hit me with the sad face.
Communication, is only more difficult when we can’t downvote something but only like/upvote. So yes, you are correct.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of down vote button would like a “theres not enough meme in this post button”. Kinda like theres not enough cow bell, except i don’t know how to make my voice sound like Christopher walken’s.
707DFD61-1F91-48D4-A860-479C65EE03B1.jpeg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Communication, is only more difficult when we can’t downvote something but only like/upvote. So yes, you are correct.
This isn’t reddit :). It’s R2R! We are way better than that. No reason to downvote anyone it’s not a like contest. Plus if it was no one can catch me anyway ;)

Seriously though we would prefer to see someone who disagrees with certain posts or advice reply in thread RESPECTFULLY. Life would be boring if we all agreed all the time and nothing would get accomplished. Some great movements and discovery in this hobby have stemmed from long debates. I’ve learned a lot here because of them!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think anything posted that doesn’t have a logical reasoning behind it or multiple reefers to back up a given result is anecdotal. I don’t think that warrants a downvote but it doesn’t add to ones credibility either. I personally caution any newcomers to ask “why”. If you don’t get a sound explanation, move on to someone who can provide one.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I respectfully disagree. When you agree with someone who makes a valid and concise point, there is nothing to add and a simple head nod (or like) is all that is required.

However, when you disagree with someone, we can presume that there are flaws in the assumptions, logic, methods etc. Explanation of these flaws is vital to understanding what in particular is the perceived flaw that a simple downvote cannot express. It's not simply that something is wrong, but rather it's important to know why it's wrong.

I cannot imagine the debates with @PaulB on gut bacteria and quarantine nor @brandon429 on tanks cycling, total water changes and sand rinses (and the many other posters that get me thinking) being reduced to likes and dislikes.

The lack of downvotes inspires debate and education. This hobby is full of conventional wisdom that gets turned upside down.

Am I wrong?

PS: see what I did here?

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this post yesterday while at the lake and really thought about it, it's good food for thought. I'm 100% sure if down votes existed I'd have more negatives than positives and it would be a mechanism people would use to hold onto former methods and notions in the hobby at all costs

hesitation for change would manifest as a downvote when new discoveries are offered to posters, discouraging nonconforming practices.

Any offer to rip clean a filthy tank for example would get sixty downvotes by readers who have never deep cleaned a system or given six minutes to consider reading collected outcomes from rip clean threads... same for cycling, if we tried to install fish seventy days after a cycle began while api said nitrite exists, the downvotes would stifle the new practices unfolding regarding tank cycling and test accuracy ability.

***that doesn't mean we should accept deep cleaning recommends if someone has a better way, type out reasons it's unideal so we can see a better way** disagreement also evolves us

with a downvote button, only conformists would have the acceptable yes/ no balance. Very good thread here!

How to account for giving someone poor procedural advice? the market bears out the impacts logged in thread responses and outcomes. Nobody posts good results from bad advice, instead of just a quick click 'no' it's better for the negatives to be spelled out in post details and pics. A few rounds of killed animals and practice X will evolve right out of the hobby along with whoever recommended it. People need to be accountable for negating a practice or a recommended too in my opinion, we currently have really good back and forth during critique exchanges and this evolves practices and states in the hobby really well having to explain dissention vs just click it

Last edited:

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been seeing a lot of bad and plain down WRONG advice. It would be great if we could downvote comments like those. It would make it easier for people asking questions to see what is actually helpful and what is not. Maybe make it so 15 downvotes hides the post unless you click it. Kinda like reddit
That would be great, until all the idiots started down voting the good advice and up voting the bad, and sorry to say, they outnumber us. ;Wacky

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this post yesterday while at the lake and really thought about it, it's good food for thought. I'm 100% sure if down votes existed I'd have more negatives than positives and it would be a mechanism people would use to hold onto former methods and notions in the hobby at all costs

hesitation for change would manifest as a downvote when new discoveries are offered to posters, discouraging nonconforming practices.

Any offer to rip clean a filthy tank for example would get sixty downvotes by readers who have never deep cleaned a system or given six minutes to consider reading collected outcomes from rip clean threads... same for cycling, if we tried to install fish seventy days after a cycle began while api said nitrite exists, the downvotes would stifle the new practices unfolding regarding tank cycling and test accuracy ability.

***that doesn't mean we should accept deep cleaning recommends if someone has a better way, type out reasons it's unideal so we can see a better way** disagreement also evolves us

with a downvote button, only conformists would have the acceptable yes/ no balance. Very good thread here!

How to account for giving someone poor procedural advice? the market bears out the impacts logged in thread responses and outcomes. Nobody posts good results from bad advice, instead of just a quick click 'no' it's better for the negatives to be spelled out in post details and pics. A few rounds of killed animals and practice X will evolve right out of the hobby along with whoever recommended it. People need to be accountable for negating a practice or a recommended too in my opinion, we currently have really good back and forth during critique exchanges and this evolves practices and states in the hobby really well having to explain dissention vs just click it
Fair points for sure!

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote absolutely no! The sorting through of answers in a thread by a user, looking for common threads, answers, approaches is what develops critical thinking skills. If everything in this world is reduced to a rating system how long before only "highly" rated answers are looked at as valid. Then people stop being critical thinkers and start being sheep. No, just no.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But maybe it would be easier to gauge what people think of this thread if we had a downvote button ;)
We have a poll feature that can be used for a single question like that per thread.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back