We should use the collective power of the chem forum to prove or deny the possibility of sustained .25 ammonia in reefing

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not one time in reefing has a cycle stalled, we are being misled.

this is a false stuck cycle concern, the tank has no free ammonia you can see from excellent coral and fish health

Please take the link to my post here and put it on YouTube comments or other forums to draw challengers with stuck cycles. We will fix their tank cycle wo buying bottle bac or at least buying another round.

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as we wait for a seneye user to save the day, I will link examples of stuck ammonia causing doubt and re purchase of bottle bac for added peace of mind

Redundancy fuels bottle bac sales illegitimately. Doubt started at the lfs here, do live rocks moved home in water lose bac? Do they lose bac if heading to macna two hundred miles away?

when the rock was brought home, before buying bottle bac, he can look for benthic attachments. Algae, an open fanworm, a vermitid alive with a slime trail - cycle confirmers

If no visual cues proving months underwater then test for ammonia movement down, only buy bottle bac if the system cannot move ammonia down.

If we don't get accurate control of cycle science for 2020 and beyond they're going to take our money nine bucks at a time. We wouldn't buy bottle bac until a specific test tells us to. We wouldn't buy it just in case.

Do not get bilked by the bottle bac industry team. Having anything living attached to a rock means the whole rock is cycled. No verifying required, when we buy corals they ride home just fine, people make you think live rock can't do the same to sell you things

@taricha and I recently modified the API ammonia test kit to produce clear solutions that can be “read” in the low range silica Hanna Checker and possibly in the Phosphate Checker. The even bigger surprise is that our standard curves suggest a lower detection limit below 0.05 ppm. If all this is confirmed, ammonia monitoring will be as simple or simpler than nitrate testing and sensitive enough to prove your point and not break the bank.

We will be using this modified API method to monitor ammonia in aquarium substrates. I will also be looking for any hints of ammonia under cyanobacteria growth. I am also interested in challenging an established system with an ammonia chloride dose. My guess is that it will be gone pretty quickly.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's an example of test free ammonia diagnostics in my opinion. Using the tenet of no reef tank can have hovering ammonia, she has none. Imagine the back and forth about bacteria that still might occur due to misinformation about stuck cycles

look at the ad that pops up when anyone googles stuck cycle

I’m coming like Houdini did to seance holders = cycledini

EAE2358C-4968-4929-82A4-78A08FD44129.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cycle cannot stall in a reef of rocks and sand, ergo the internet is capitalizing on concepts that elicit spending regarding stuck cycles, which don’t occur. In 100% of the cases in that search return not one was stalled. Ad strategically placed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to ask api:

how long is it going to take you to put something in print about your test kits

the web is the only place people find out about subjectivity and misreads, nothing formal about your product mentions misreads to consumers

it takes machinery to interpret your test accurately among fifty testers.

Nothing in cycle articles mentions how ammonia can never stall, not once in humanity has that been written in a reef cycling article. All those google searches were not stalled, not one.

what a perfect coincidence for overselling bottle bac- I hope to help undo that trend in reefing and show how half these tanks dont need to pay bb sellers

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BRS

is it possible to stall a cycle and measure it with seneye or mindstream

have you ever seen a mindstream cycle readout stall at any stage for ammonia (we don’t factor nitrite but I’m aware many do)

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting thread ...I have seneye on my tank ..the last few months I've noticed its risen slightly ....I was thinking maybe it was a false reading ..but the trend has continued over a few months ...although my results are not as high as stated in the post .25 ....
Screenshot_20200210-002145_Samsung Internet.jpg

It used too be always...0.001 - 0.003 ....but for the last month of so it's been hovering around 0.012...it has been higher as high as 0.016 ..
I know these numbers are small compared too 0.25 ...

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so so much for our first measure! Really I was worried we would get none.

I'm so happy to see the measures it helps find baselines.

Our tanks are always producing ammonia / respiration summaries and you've measured the transitory phase thank you tons

Now we need more measures to begin calibrating among multiple seneye machines

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so so much for our first measure! Really I was worried we would get none.

I'm so happy to see the measures it helps find baselines.

Our tanks are always producing ammonia and you've measured the transitory phase thank you tons

Now we need more measures to begin calibrating among multiple seneye machines
I should mention my tank is more than 3 years old ....

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please if possible grab a water sample from someone very close to you if possible. I don't know how sample transport chemistry works for transporting it, perhaps we need a test tube full of water, no air bubble could affect. Take reading fairly quick

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please if possible grab a water sample from someone very close to you if possible. I don't know how sample transport chemistry works for transporting it, perhaps we need a test tube full of water, no air bubble could affect. Take reading fairly quick
Not quite sure I follow you ...??? Not even sure I have a normal ammonia test kit other than my seneye ..

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seneye also measures nh4 although it doesn't show up in the dashboard ...but mine is always around 10.00 - 20.00 ppb it changes every day..but it's not recorded...
Screenshot_20200210-021205.jpg

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was meaning to get a sample from any other tank and transport it home to check on your seneye just to see if baselines are really different tank to tank

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was meaning to get a sample from any other tank and transport it home to check on your seneye just to see if baselines are really different tank to tank
I would Brandon...only problem is it's like 03.00 here in Holland... :p

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason

Would you happen to have any logs of seneye data, or know anyone who set up a new tank with one, so we can see the action of ammonia at the tenths level, if any

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why weren't we told by reef scientists who don't have a sales stake in the game that cycles can't stall in the presence of rock and sand, that ammonia is requisite in motion either all up or all down? Must be new info I guess.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason

Would you happen to have any logs of seneye data, or know anyone who set up a new tank with one, so we can see the action of ammonia at the tenths level, if any
Just had 2 people setup tanks few weeks ago ...but they were existing tanks that were taken over ...both had re used the sand without cleaning it ... one tank got dinos one tank got ich ...if only this thread had been then ....at the moment I dont know anyone setting up a tank ...and most people dont think straight away about buying and putting a seneye on their tanks.
But I will look out ...and if necessary I will lend my seneye out with a couple of slides...
As for my info on mine ....Im not sure you can download the data ....its stored In a cloud from seneye ...I can access the results from the dashboard on my phone and look back a total of 12months ...I would have too take screenshots to send them ...

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact you never saw ammonia hold at any rating is good data for sure

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ammonia has been holding steady at 0.012 for over a day ...then today it drops too 0.010...it was at one point 0.005
Screenshot_20200211-133730_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200211-133749_Samsung Internet.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back