TerryG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers! I just past the 2 week mark of cycling my tank using dr tims one and only and dr tims ammonia. I used live sand and some rock from my existing tank as well. My current parameters are Nitrate 20, Nitrite 0.5, Ammonia 0. I got the same results from API and Red Sea test kits. What do you think am I ready to do a water change and add fish or not yet? Any advice appreciated

Goodersgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, get the fish in asap, that's when the true cycling will begin, hence ammonia being at 0. Have you had a diatom bloom yet?

OP
OP
T

TerryG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, get the fish in asap, that's when the true cycling will begin, hence ammonia being at 0. Have you had a diatom bloom yet?
No diatom bloom yet. Should I do a water change or just put them in? I started with 8ppm ammonia it finally dropped :)

Goodersgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No diatom bloom yet. Should I do a water change or just put them in? I started with 8ppm ammonia it finally dropped :)
Have you been ghost feeding? that ammonia reading is odd considering you have zero bio load in your tank

Goodersgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ghost feeding. I had used the whole bottle of dr tims ammonia and my ammonia was through the roof
Did you use the Dr Tims Ammonia as part of the original build and fresh waster? There are others on the forum that would better explain than me, but it appears very odd to have those levels of ammonia with a low to zero bio load, is anything decaying on the rock transferred from your other tank? How are you testing for ammonia?

OP
OP
T

TerryG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use the Dr Tims Ammonia as part of the original build and fresh waster? There are others on the forum that would better explain than me, but it appears very odd to have those levels of ammonia with a low to zero bio load, is anything decaying on the rock transferred from your other tank? How are you testing for ammonia?
I don’t think anything transferred over. I’m using the api and Red Sea test kit. I haven’t dosed ammonia since the first day because dr Tim’s says not to add anymore if it’s exceeds 5ppm which mine did

melbournedan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i believe he used ammonia drops to get the reading to 8ppm and hasn’t added any since, correct me if i’m wrong ?

Goodersgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think anything transferred over. I’m using the api and Red Sea test kit. I haven’t dosed ammonia since the first day because dr Tim’s says not to add anymore if it’s exceeds 5ppm which mine did
Why did you dose ammonia during initial setup? Adding live rock to the system provides you with all the good stuff you need to begin cycling, I would not have thought you needed to add anything extra, just monitor your levels from that point on and get the fish in.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers! I just past the 2 week mark of cycling my tank using dr tims one and only and dr tims ammonia. I used live sand and some rock from my existing tank as well. My current parameters are Nitrate 20, Nitrite 0.5, Ammonia 0. I got the same results from API and Red Sea test kits. What do you think am I ready to do a water change and add fish or not yet? Any advice appreciated
Ignore the test kits.

If you have a tank running for two weeks it is cycled. Just add a fish.

OP
OP
T

TerryG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Why did you dose ammonia during initial setup? Adding live rock to the system provides you with all the good stuff you need to begin cycling, I would not have thought you needed to add anything extra, just monitor your levels from that point on and get the fish in.
was given really bad advice

OP
OP
T

TerryG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
either aquamarine aquaristic in doncaster , lifestyle in bundoora, deer park and williamstown.
either aquamarine aquaristic in doncaster , lifestyle in bundoora, deer park and williamstown.
I got my clowns from aquaristic and been do bundoora and Williamstown. No deer park yet hopefully soon.

Back