Weird growth into tank seam?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mjszos
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Ladies and gentleman, the Rodney Dangerfield of R2R lol! He can't turn it off lol!

I hope you know I'm just joking, and Dangerfield was a heck of a comic ;-)

Thanks for the laugh here and everywhere!
I don't get no respect!

Loop Wtf GIF by Rodney Dangerfield
:cool:
 
I don't get no respect!

Loop what the heck GIF by Rodney Dangerfield
:cool:
Yeah! Me, I get no regard, no regard at all.....

My Veterinarian, doctor VinnieBoomBatz, is a fabulous Veterinarian. He once gave our fish six months to live, we couldn't pay the bill, so he gave us another six months! Fabolous Vet, Dr. VinnieBoomBatz...

But I get no regard at all, I tell ya..... When I was a kid, none of the neighborhood fish wanted to play with me. My mom had to tie sheets of nori around my neck, I tell ya what!

I mean, it's so bad... I can tell my fish hate me.... For Christmas they asked for a toaster!

I'm so ugly, when I walk up to the tank the fish swim away, I tell ya what!

I get no regard, no regard at all.....

When I was a kid, my parents got a fish.... I was so jealous of the fish, my parents got rid of me!

My wife is an awful cook... When I asked for a seafood boil, I didn't expect it to be my tank!

I tell ya! One time, my wife told me to do a water change. I said I did. She said, go outside and watch the waste water, I tell ya what.....

I'm here all week, ladies and gents :)
 
Last edited:
100% the INT. External is ugly. Especially 6” away from the wall.
This is clearly a personal preference, so definitely to each their own.

I'd rather box in the space behind the tank, then lose the "real estate" inside the tank.

But that's just me. You and others may have a different opinion :)
 
First of all, I just purchased and I am trying to build an IM 25 lagoon as a frag tank lol!

And the dreaded bobbit worm, of course! (No Lorena jokes; different spelling; just as scarry lol!)

I think I'm going to change my R2R user name to "Bobbit Worm Hater" lol ;-)

EDIT:
@BristleWormHater I hope you know I'm just joking around :)
Feel free to change your name to that, I want to start a worm-haters club. Already tried to recruit @Reefahholic by getting him to change his name to SpoinidWormHater, he didn't end up doing it.
 
100% the INT. External is ugly. Especially 6” away from the wall.

I’m still debating this, my tank has an internal overflow as-is currently, and it’s about 4” from the wall to allow for me to have some room to get behind it in the event of spills and for easier routing of cables.

While I would love the cleaner look of the INT as a centerpiece in the room, I also know one of my gripes with the current tank is the dead zones near the internal overflow + the extra space for some rock and corals will be nice.

I’m at a conference locally all week, I’ll be pondering and likely making a purchase today… much to consider, but the added benefit of the EXT is that it ships end of November rather than end of December…
 
Last edited:
I’m still debating this, my tank has an internal overflow as-is currently, and it’s about 4” from the wall to allow for me to have some room to get behind it in the event of spills and for easier routing of cables.

While I would love the cleaner look of the INT as a centerpiece in the room, I also know one of my gripes with the current tank is the dead zones near the internal overflow + the extra space for some rock and corals will be nice.

I’m at a conference locally all week, I’ll be pondering and likely making a purchase today… much to consider, but the added benefit of the EXT is that it ships end of November rather than end of December…


My INT said it would take 6 weeks. It arrived in less than 1. Now that likely isn’t normal but I wouldn’t count on it taking that long.
 
My INT said it would take 6 weeks. It arrived in less than 1. Now that likely isn’t normal but I wouldn’t count on it taking that long.

That’s a worthwhile consideration but given upcoming Black Friday/cyber Monday sales I’m erring on the side of it taking longer. I’d rather have the tank presumably in a few weeks rather than after the new year.

Frankly im just terrified of the holding tank (I had a pretty heavy coral die off following my honeymoon due to the caregiver while I was gone inexperience). I want to keep the fish in the temp tank for as little time as possible.
 
Order today to avoid Thanks Giving shipping crush madness.

I keep thinking about this worm. It has done you a solid by pointing out the weaking seam perhaps? A canary in a coal mine situation.

Glass tank manufactures need to start putting fenbendazole into their silicone to prevent worm holes?
 
Shockingly enough, in the 3 years this tank has been up I've yet to have a single bristle!

Now time to make the decision... Going to go with an Innovative Marine - do I go with the INT 100 or EXT 100?

INT lets me get it closer to the wall, but I lose some internal space for the overflow (it ships end of December), EXT would have the tank roughly in the same distance from the wall as the RSR 250 is but would have more internal space (it ships end of November).

Lets hear them opinions!
I have the EXT100 - more swimming space for fishes. Also added bonus of easily attaching MP40s to the back wall of the tank. The ext100 overflow can be easily cleaned out too since it's just a small protruding glass box. Minimum distance of tank ie from back of stand to wall will be 5 to 6 inches, just enough space to put a large UV
 
The tank being red sea has nothing to do with this failure. Something clearly burrowed into the silicone.
There's some discussion on a german forum regarding the silicon that redsea uses and quality issues with the silicon and on a different german forum about susceptibility to be compromised by some burrowing worms etc. I recall reading another one or two cases here on reef2reef.
 
There's some discussion on a german forum regarding the silicon that redsea uses and quality issues with the silicon and on a different german forum about susceptibility to be compromised by some burrowing worms etc. I recall reading another one or two cases here on reef2reef.
I corrected myself earlier
Ooh, nevermind maybe it does. It does look like the seam is separating which allowed the thing to get in there like @TurboTang mentioned.
 
Well, after lots of measuring and discussions with the wife, we decided to go with the INT 100. The room that it's going into is laid out in a particular way, and we can save about 2" with the INT over the EXT (doesn't seem like much, but our dining table is next to the tank and it can't be moved due to the light being centered on the windows in the room and the table being centered on the table). Either way, tank has been ordered... Ships "end of December" so I'm hoping it'll be here by early January.

Now something I hadn't considered as I'd intended to just use the same rock in the new tank... Do y'all think I run any risk with whatever burrowed it's way into the silicone on the existing tank living in the rock and doing the same in the new tank?!
 
Well, after lots of measuring and discussions with the wife, we decided to go with the INT 100. The room that it's going into is laid out in a particular way, and we can save about 2" with the INT over the EXT (doesn't seem like much, but our dining table is next to the tank and it can't be moved due to the light being centered on the windows in the room and the table being centered on the table). Either way, tank has been ordered... Ships "end of December" so I'm hoping it'll be here by early January.

Now something I hadn't considered as I'd intended to just use the same rock in the new tank... Do y'all think I run any risk with whatever burrowed it's way into the silicone on the existing tank living in the rock and doing the same in the new tank?!
The theory of choice is that the worm found a gap in the expanding silicone that was separating as the tank failed. If you get another failing tank the worm will let you know and hopefully you will make the switch to acrylic to avoid worm issues.

IT's so rare, I would bet against another worm issue.
 
The theory of choice is that the worm found a gap in the expanding silicone that was separating as the tank failed. If you get another failing tank the worm will let you know and hopefully you will make the switch to acrylic to avoid worm issues.

IT's so rare, I would bet against another worm issue.

Curious how switching to acrylic would address this issue in the first place. I have absolutely 0 experience with acrylic tanks, but are they not siliconed at the edges as well? Or are they "welded" together (for lack of a better term)?
 
Curious how switching to acrylic would address this issue in the first place. I have absolutely 0 experience with acrylic tanks, but are they not siliconed at the edges as well? Or are they "welded" together (for lack of a better term)?
Silicone bonds two pieces together. Acrylic is two pieces melted together into one structure. Welded is a term often used, yes.
edit:
Chemically welded, if you will.
 
Silicone bonds two pieces together. Acrylic is two pieces melted together into one structure. Welded is a term often used, yes.
edit:
Chemically welded, if you will.

Learned something new today. Something about the clarity of low iron glass + less of a risk of scratches due to a rock getting kicked into a scraper or something. Either that or I've fallen victim to the glass propaganda :face-with-tears-of-joy:
 
Learned something new today. Something about the clarity of low iron glass + less of a risk of scratches due to a rock getting kicked into a scraper or something. Either that or I've fallen victim to the glass propaganda :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Nope. I can tell you that acrylic scratches easier than glass, and low iron is worth it if you can afford the upgrade. Really worth it, the low iron! Acrylic is clearer but it bows a lot under pressure. A proper glass silicone seam should last many years and I have seen giant acrylic tanks fail because of sagging cabinets or from pressure distorting the box.
 
Nope. I can tell you that acrylic scratches easier than glass, and low iron is worth it if you can afford the upgrade. Really worth it, the low iron! Acrylic is clearer but it bows a lot under pressure. A proper glass silicone seam should last many years and I have seen giant acrylic tanks fail because of sagging cabinets or from pressure distorting the box.

I could definitely see it being a viable option for monster tanks. Maybe one day the wife will approve of me turning the garage into a monster tank.. Who needs to park in there anyway?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new