Weirs or partition in sumps REALLY Necesarry?

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to use 40 breeder on 125 and get largest skimmer. Just Maybe one reactor and return Pump .In order to fit largest sump skimmer I want are weirs REALLY necessary??? Most sumps made u can only fit some skimmers, this way You are NO Longer Limited in choices. Please weigh in.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes due to micro bubbles from the return. If you don’t mind micro bubbles in your dt, then no real need.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at least 1 before the return pump is pretty important so the pump is not shooting air bubbles out, otherwise its pretty much just to section off things

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 main reasons for using them is theyll catch heavier debris that you dont want going through the pump and help reduce bubbles from your skimmer and drains before getting pumped into the tank. So you dont have to have them but they help.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think compartmentalizing the sump ensures that all the water is forced through all stages of your filtration every time it goes down there, vs going around some and back up. Or at least that’s the idea. I have a refugium too, and that probably definitely needs to be separated

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Most skimmers operate best at a specific water level height. You would not be able to keep that consistent with evaporation

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Assuming you are running an Auto Top off - Another thought.....with Evaporation happening across the whole sump you would lose a lot of water before your ATO triggered to refill causing larger fluctuations in salinity which could also pose issues.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think compartmentalizing the sump ensures that all the water is forced through all stages of your filtration every time it goes down there, vs going around some and back up. Or at least that’s the idea. I have a refugium too, and that probably definitely needs to be separated
This is imo the main purpose for them.

Catching detritus and stuff can be done through mechanical filtration, but importantly if you have a large sump, there is no guarantee the water will actually go through all the steps of filtration. Adding compartmentalization forces water to have to go through the steps of filtration you want it to go through.

MagicMiller72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 main reasons for using them is theyll catch heavier debris that you dont want going through the pump and help reduce bubbles from your skimmer and drains before getting pumped into the tank. So you dont have to have them but they help.
And your pumps won't get clogged up and stop working on you as well

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for your replies I woulld put sponges in front of pump and a sponge to collect detritus instead of filter sock. I should have said that, thanks for your input>

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idea. Get an acrylic tube to fit around the pump and cut it to size for water height to pour over. You can have your ATO sensor, remove baffles and fit your big skimmer. Not sure if anyone has tried this but in theory it should work.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might want to draw a diagram and post a pic just to make sure it all looks good before putting it together, sponges around the return pump arent a great idea as they clog too easy. what type of sponge were you planning on using instead of a filter sock? Polyfil usually works well

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY idea is to fit a perforated plastic bin , saw them them at local container store. Sponges all around p ump, pump in middle should work just fine.

prdubois

Check out my 225gal: https://www.reef2reef.com/th
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go:

1619119655216.png

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idea. Get an acrylic tube to fit around the pump and cut it to size for water height to pour over. You can have your ATO sensor, remove baffles and fit your big skimmer. Not sure if anyone has tried this but in theory it should work.

The problem is it floats. The lower the water level the more buoyant it is. I tried to do this in my stock tank sump and you would be amazed at how many bricks I had to stack on it to keep under the water.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides water + salt .... we can debate what is really necessary for a reef

I take these "is this necessary" questions as a sign of (I don't want to do much work and not spend a lot of money but want a showroom tank)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back