Well this sucks!

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have been having issues with my montiporas as of late. They experience death and I have no idea why. Parameters are in check and I have actually posted bout it. The death will come over night and then go on for a few days and then stop. Well doing some research we have concluded it is most likely monti eating nudis. I guess the reason I have not seen these issues before was that I had wrasses in my tank but I started taking sand out so I removed them. Looks like im going to have to put a 6line wrasse in to help bandage this problem ughh. Well at least its not the worst issue to have but certainly is not the best scenario. Nice thing-is I will be home for a week so I will be able to get me a fish and make sure he is good to go to put into he display. I did have a 6line before and he was fine I don't really remember why I got rid of him lol but I guess he will be coming back but one question is will he pick at a 4-5in copperband butterfly who has been established?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been having issues with my montiporas as of late. They experience death and I have no idea why. Parameters are in check and I have actually posted bout it. The death will come over night and then go on for a few days and then stop. Well doing some research we have concluded it is most likely monti eating nudis. I guess the reason I have not seen these issues before was that I had wrasses in my tank but I started taking sand out so I removed them. Looks like im going to have to put a 6line wrasse in to help bandage this problem ughh. Well at least its not the worst issue to have but certainly is not the best scenario. Nice thing-is I will be home for a week so I will be able to get me a fish and make sure he is good to go to put into he display. I did have a 6line before and he was fine I don't really remember why I got rid of him lol but I guess he will be coming back but one question is will he pick at a 4-5in copperband butterfly who has been established?

It might. May take some time to get settled and then it could turn.

My consensus is there are more stories of them becoming a bully than not. Definitely add with caution.

Are you positive you have nudi's?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps someone with an established wrasse (and a pest-free tank) near you would have an established fish that you could acquire to avoid dealing with introducing additional issues that can be introduced with new additions?

You might ask on here, something like; "Anybody near Nashville(?) with an established wrasse that would fit this particular scenario?"

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions guys. the tabk is not necessarily 100% sandless as i cannot remove the mounds of sand behind the rockwork. so the fish has plenty of sand to sleep in. but the iny real isssue im scared about is that it can become a bully. is a dottyback a better option in terms of pest removal? ive had a 6line before and he was a little mean then moved him into my other tankand his demenar changed he was peaceful. i think my clown tang and my other tangs will keep him in check. my tangs always look out for my copperband they besties for life lol oh and cant forget about my foxface

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back