Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gablami and @rds85
Looking for advice on 2 issues:

1. How do I rid the DT of fine particulates?

It’s very bad and often clings to the fish.
This has to be from the live sand and I thought it would eventually get better, but it hasn’t improved at all.
(Have felt socks, filter floss and skimmer going.)
2C68710C-2159-4E19-A242-41572F797704.jpeg

2. How do I address the green and red cyano that has appeared while I was away?

I know that lack of water flow / dead spots are a major factor. Will test water tomorrow, but it’s been pretty consistent around: 7.5 Alk, 450 cal, 1350 mag, .02 pho’s, 4 nitrate.
E48A0EE8-EB30-4294-83A4-38FDCC55334C.jpeg

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gablami and @rds85
Looking for advice on 2 issues:

1. How do I rid the DT of fine particulates?

It’s very bad and often clings to the fish.
This has to be from the live sand and I thought it would eventually get better, but it hasn’t improved at all.
(Have felt socks, filter floss and skimmer going.)
2C68710C-2159-4E19-A242-41572F797704.jpeg

2. How do I address the green and red cyano that has appeared while I was away?

I know that lack of water flow / dead spots are a major factor. Will test water tomorrow, but it’s been pretty consistent around: 7.5 Alk, 450 cal, 1350 mag, .02 pho’s, 4 nitrate.
E48A0EE8-EB30-4294-83A4-38FDCC55334C.jpeg

@Wen I have a few more questions first.
Question 1:
Is that confirmed particulate vs micro bubbles? It is hard to be certain in the current photo.
How long has this been going on?

Question 2:
When is the last time you vacuumed your sand bed?
Check water parameters of course make sure it is still balanced first and for most.
Do you carbon dose at all?
Is it isolated to this one area?

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Wen I have a few more questions first.
Question 1:
Is that confirmed particulate vs micro bubbles? It is hard to be certain in the current photo.
How long has this been going on?

Question 2:
When is the last time you vacuumed your sand bed?
Check water parameters of course make sure it is still balanced first and for most.
Do you carbon dose at all?

It is confirmed particulates that don’t settle, just blow round and round. It doesn’t appear to pile up on rocks or corals. Weird is that the sump / fuge is clear...no particulates. (Sa
Been same since day 1 of sand.
I have vacuumed it 2x since being set up and bottom of Brute contains very, very fine sand.

I will be vacuuming tomorrow 30gal out.
Cyano is pretty much covering all the sand in various degrees. I see it in fuge too.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, my response got all jumbled.
Think particulates are extremely fine sand, only in DT.
Vacuumed only 2x.
Cyano covers almost all sand in various degrees, Cyano in sump.
I have carbon in bag in sump.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. So you’re back now. How did the reef fare? Edit Oops didn’t see the rest. Let me catch up.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested to see what @rds85 recommends. We may have different approaches to the cyano and algae, dunno.

My approach for a young tank is relatively hands off. Let it do it’s thing. This is the so-called ugly phase. Even with live rock I would expect some uglies. With dry rock, it can get REALLY ugly. It’s partly the reason why I’m not doing anything with my new tank for a few months. Just to let things settle out. Without coral in the tank, I can d a light out if the uglies get unbearable, but generally I would just ride it out.

If you do nothing, it will mostly likely get better with time as long as your parameters are good. If you try to do something, it will often come back.

the particulates, if they are particulates, then the filter socks and floss will eventually get rid of it them. The fact that they are still around weeks of turnover makes me suspect that it might not be particulates from the sand. Maybe it’s something else. If you’re really curious can try to catch some and look under microscope. see if it’s a microorganism.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested to see what @rds85 recommends. We may have different approaches to the cyano and algae, dunno.

My approach for a young tank is relatively hands off. Let it do it’s thing. This is the so-called ugly phase. Even with live rock I would expect some uglies. With dry rock, it can get REALLY ugly. It’s partly the reason why I’m not doing anything with my new tank for a few months. Just to let things settle out. Without coral in the tank, I can d a light out if the uglies get unbearable, but generally I would just ride it out.

If you do nothing, it will mostly likely get better with time as long as your parameters are good. If you try to do something, it will often come back.

the particulates, if they are particulates, then the filter socks and floss will eventually get rid of it them. The fact that they are still around weeks of turnover makes me suspect that it might not be particulates from the sand. Maybe it’s something else. If you’re really curious can try to catch some and look under microscope. see if it’s a microorganism.
I agree with you that this may just be part of new tank ugglies. I won’t be using chemi clean or vibrant.
..so your thought is to keep things stable, continue normal maintence and wait it out?

I also think that the lack of water flow along the bottom of tank is contributing...don’t feel like debris is getting lifted up and off botttom.

Have been contemplating a wavebox for awhile (wanted one in my old tank) and may get one ordered tomorrow. Have you considered one?

microorganisms....scary.
(But I did collect the sand locally, shhhhh.)
Darn, if only we still had our son’s microscope!

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you that this may just be part of new tank ugglies. I won’t be using chemi clean or vibrant.
..so your thought is to keep things stable, continue normal maintence and wait it out?

I also think that the lack of water flow along the bottom of tank is contributing...don’t feel like debris is getting lifted up and off botttom.

Have been contemplating a wavebox for awhile (wanted one in my old tank) and may get one ordered tomorrow. Have you considered one?

microorganisms....scary.
I have never had a wavebox, but I’m a fan of tunze pumps. Not sure how that will do with trying to get more flow to the lower part of your tank. Maybe it will allow you to move your existing power heads lower.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at this creature! Biggest fireworm? I’ve encountered.
tried to snag it, but slipped outa the chop sticks!!!
1/2” wide x 4”
1E1F8E8E-D8FD-49C7-8525-30006F2D55BD.jpeg
got it with my fav ‘grip n grab’ tool!
should it stay or go? It’s fast!
F8FBD3D1-5DC6-4EBF-B223-8E3F8EB9B5AC.jpeg

Last edited:

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at this creature! Biggest fireworm? I’ve encountered.
tried to snag it, but slipped outa the chop sticks!!!
1/2” wide x 4”
1E1F8E8E-D8FD-49C7-8525-30006F2D55BD.jpeg
got it with my fav ‘grip n grab’ tool!
should it stay or go? It’s fast!
F8FBD3D1-5DC6-4EBF-B223-8E3F8EB9B5AC.jpeg
One vote for remove it!

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be excess food in the tank to grow him that big. I keep them in my tanks as part of my clean up crew. When their numbers get to much I know it’s time to vacuum gravel. I vote keep him.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

microorganisms....scary.

I would actually do a very similar approach. Let things ride out. I would be OCD though and vacuum the sand bed every two weeks. 1/4 to a 1/3 sections each time. If your particulates are actual sand bits. Then turning up the flow I think will really increases the amount you have until a few weeks pass and the socks and floss will get it. After about 8 months i would start addressing the cyano issue more seriously.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Oxynoe I have in the fuge. 3 different Caulerpas in there to keep these slugs fed. It’s all about the food, haha.
(Words I live by. Jk)
6AD1A0E9-2807-414C-BEDD-99E3F519BCC8.jpeg

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These particles in water column are driving me crazy. Sometimes they stick to the fish which causes me great anxiety!o_O
It has to clear eventually and I know these fish don’t have velvet.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gablami and @rds85
Your opinions on this one...
Did you see the video I posted on the snowstorm of particles?
I have established fish from old 150 that survived ttm and my CP experiment. I have the wild caught FL Keys fish that went through ttm and 30+ days observation. I have one wrasse bought from quarantined marine. I have added no new inverts or coral.
My fish are not flashing or swimming in front of the powerheads, all eating and good weight.
I want this to be particulates sticking to fish and not....
1402B774-6202-4172-9D4E-DBACAB11AB1F.jpeg

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is like salt, and velvet is like powdered sugar. I can count the grains. Though there are a good number. Fish catching is ok, got all the tangs, but the anthia are hiding in the rock. Gotta lure them out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back