OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I checked it out. I caught all but three, flame angel pair and one anthia remain!

How is your fish catching going @Wen?
Terrible.
Caught the 3 easiest ones last night in a trap. Going to add 2 more traps today. This weekend probably have to commit to tearing down 1/2 the tank, partitioning and net. Lol, maybe try a huge siphon tube for jaws.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrible.
Caught the 3 easiest ones last night in a trap. Going to add 2 more traps today. This weekend probably have to commit to tearing down 1/2 the tank, partitioning and net. Lol, maybe try a huge siphon tube for jaws.
Yeah, I can’t break down this rock work so it’s all on the fish to come out. Hopefully it’ll happen soon. Siphon tube? You must take a video.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Terrible.
Ugh! I hate it when they won't cooperate!!

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 gal Rubbermaid filling up with only 3 fish so far. I’m thinking about adding a HOB to this, any suggestions as to any that fit on a tub?
A48519B8-69FE-4492-A812-D6EFA98C487C.jpeg

Been trying various traps. This one has best potential.
F0BE37B5-9A1C-4592-9BA7-0E614003F6B0.jpeg
However, trapping is taking too long. Made a Home Depot run for material to section off tank..

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunate for me, think I have to drain as much as I have buckets for and dismantle majority of rock work to get these guys out.
image.jpg

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunate for me, think I have to drain as much as I have buckets for and dismantle majority of rock work to get these guys out.
image.jpg
Yes, now having done this a second time, by far the most difficult part is catching all the fish. Watching an empty tank for week is not as bad. Good luck and hang in there!

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a late night, completely emptied the tank, caught all fish, rally bathed fish and into Qt. Then redid the aquascape and threw corals in.
I used less rock and thanks to the opinions of the whole family, this scape gives fish more room to swim, places for corals and is visually pleasing.

Today, going to begin a slow ramp Up of copper power.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a late night, completely emptied the tank, caught all fish, rally bathed fish and into Qt. Then redid the aquascape and threw corals in.
I used less rock and thanks to the opinions of the whole family, this scape gives fish more room to swim, places for corals and is visually pleasing.

My back hurts just thinking about all that went on.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you start at 1ppm CP or 0?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All for the love of our fish and our reef! Sorry you're having to do this but I've been there and it's the only way to really solve the problem. Keep us updated!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I left you a short essay on Humblefish... HA

Hey please post it here as well as it may help someone in the future? I'm not sure what it said but sounds important as it was an essay! HA!

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 5 Hanna Copper reagent packs and 7 days until more arrive...

Anyone live in FL and could spare a few packs? Mail in FL should be 1 day.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey please post it here as well as it may help someone in the future? I'm not sure what it said but sounds important as it was an essay! HA!

Per request @revhtree :

I have zero idea the effects of using things from the real ocean to help supplement QT or even a real reef tank for that matter. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this part.

If you are using copper power, which I think you are. I would get to 1ppm very quickly. 1 dose right now. One at lunch and one at dinner to reach 1ppm. Velvet is no joke and worth the getting to therapeutic as fast as reasonably possible. I would repeat dosage 3X daily. Morning, mid day, evening. 1.5ppm CP is technically therapeutic. Once you reach there you can go a little slower, but you need to get to 2.25ppm -2.5ppm. 2.5ppm would be the end goal.

I will be totally honest. Since you know you have velvet. I would not slow my ramp up with the loss of 1-2 fish when you have 19. A small loss is better than a total wipe out due to velvet.

I would get a Turkey baster and spot feed the jaws as best as possible.

I am not sure the availability of items/cost concerns you have, but with a Rubbermaid 100 gal tote. I would not get a HOB. I would get the following:
1) 2-3 sets of air stones
2) A canister filter since it would be easier on the tote set up.
3) Either some of those ceramic medias that you can put in your canister or bioballs.
4) Sponge type floss for your canister.

If you are disciplined enough to match the the copper levels with each water change. Then yes, that would be really nice. There is a copper power calculator to help you, but you are going to be burning through copper test reagents like no other. Trust me, I have done this several times ( by three refills of it). I assume you have the hannah checker. IMO there isn't any other test kit option when doing water changes and matching the copper levels when they are on the rise.

Once you are done with the treatment. I would seriously consider getting 2-3 black mollys. Convert them to SW then put them in that tub and wait two weeks to make sure velvet is gone. You can use these mollys as your observation fish, because with 19 fish of various species it is going to be very difficult to inspect them all in the tote. Mollys won't hide in the sand, don't swim fast enough to prevent you from catching them in a clear container every few days for inspection. Where as your reef fish are very hard to catch as you just experienced! The reason I saw all this is because you are using a tote and your fish either have velvet or exposed to it and I would want to keep the stress level down on them. Sorry mollys...

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per request @revhtree :

I have zero idea the effects of using things from the real ocean to help supplement QT or even a real reef tank for that matter. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this part.

If you are using copper power, which I think you are. I would get to 1ppm very quickly. 1 dose right now. One at lunch and one at dinner to reach 1ppm. Velvet is no joke and worth the getting to therapeutic as fast as reasonably possible. I would repeat dosage 3X daily. Morning, mid day, evening. 1.5ppm CP is technically therapeutic. Once you reach there you can go a little slower, but you need to get to 2.25ppm -2.5ppm. 2.5ppm would be the end goal.

I will be totally honest. Since you know you have velvet. I would not slow my ramp up with the loss of 1-2 fish when you have 19. A small loss is better than a total wipe out due to velvet.

I would get a Turkey baster and spot feed the jaws as best as possible.

I am not sure the availability of items/cost concerns you have, but with a Rubbermaid 100 gal tote. I would not get a HOB. I would get the following:
1) 2-3 sets of air stones
2) A canister filter since it would be easier on the tote set up.
3) Either some of those ceramic medias that you can put in your canister or bioballs.
4) Sponge type floss for your canister.

If you are disciplined enough to match the the copper levels with each water change. Then yes, that would be really nice. There is a copper power calculator to help you, but you are going to be burning through copper test reagents like no other. Trust me, I have done this several times ( by three refills of it). I assume you have the hannah checker. IMO there isn't any other test kit option when doing water changes and matching the copper levels when they are on the rise.

Once you are done with the treatment. I would seriously consider getting 2-3 black mollys. Convert them to SW then put them in that tub and wait two weeks to make sure velvet is gone. You can use these mollys as your observation fish, because with 19 fish of various species it is going to be very difficult to inspect them all in the tote. Mollys won't hide in the sand, don't swim fast enough to prevent you from catching them in a clear container every few days for inspection. Where as your reef fish are very hard to catch as you just experienced! The reason I saw all this is because you are using a tote and your fish either have velvet or exposed to it and I would want to keep the stress level down on them. Sorry mollys...
I have 2 empty chambers in canister filter because I’m not using the carbon bags.
Can I fill them with filter floss?
Or live rock rubble?
1 chamber has floss.
1 chamber has like cement rings.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back