What’s that frozen food called?

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across a thread a while back about a frozen mixed seafood brand but I can’t remember what it’s called and I can’t find it . Anyone? It had all kinds in there. Shrimp. Squid. Clams... R2R to the rescue!!!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across a thread a while back about a frozen mixed seafood brand but I can’t remember what it’s called and I can’t find it . Anyone? It had all kinds in there. Shrimp. Squid. Clams... R2R to the rescue!!!
LRS perhaps? Larry’s Reef Services

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.oceannutrition.com/frozen-foods-detail/formula-variety-pack

An assortment of the Ocean Nutrition™ Frozen Formula Foods™ in one convenient resealable package. Includes Formula One, Formula Two, Prime Reef, Angel Formula, Brine Shrimp Plus, Spirulina Formula, and Special Formula VHP (Very High Protein). Particularly useful for feeding fish in store aquariums or facilities with multiple aquariums. Formula Variety Pack offers excellent variety with minimal handling and cost.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.oceannutrition.com/frozen-foods-detail/formula-variety-pack

An assortment of the Ocean Nutrition™ Frozen Formula Foods™ in one convenient resealable package. Includes Formula One, Formula Two, Prime Reef, Angel Formula, Brine Shrimp Plus, Spirulina Formula, and Special Formula VHP (Very High Protein). Particularly useful for feeding fish in store aquariums or facilities with multiple aquariums. Formula Variety Pack offers excellent variety with minimal handling and cost.

I didn’t know this existed. Sounds great. Thx!!!

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS is a US company and, due to regulations, they don’t ship frozen food items to Canada :( I found a brand I can get. Hikari. They offer a good blend too. Now to find a local supplier...

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS is a US company and, due to regulations, they don’t ship frozen food items to Canada :( I found a brand I can get. Hikari. They offer a good blend too. Now to find a local supplier...
You can make your own food as well. It’s quite cheap really. I go to a fish market and get clams and mix in a little nori. The fish and corals love it.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of things about LRS. While I do also feed San Francisco Bay mysis and brine (alternate each day) I include reef frenzy in each feeding. LRS has an interesting mix that goes beyond the fish meat. I'm in the camp with @Paul B about the importance of gut bacteria (aka probiotics) that help fish develop and maintain a healthy immune system. The liquid in these foods are also a source of nutrition for the tiny polyp corals. (I also add Reef Nutrition ROE for my mandarin, another food that my corals love).

Below is the LRS Reef Frenzy ingredient list for comparison.

On that note, +1 on making your own food if clams and or oysters (gut bacteria) aren't available to you in a frozen food. You can keep it simple by blending up the mollusks with some additives (zooplankton, rotifers, algae etc many of which come in powder form) as a supplement to commercially available frozen food that lacks the clams and additives.

LRS Reef Frenzy ingredients:

Fresh Wild Caught Scallop

Fresh Wild Caught, Hand Peeled Shrimp

Fresh Wild Caught Perch and Whitefish

Premium Piscine Energetics Mysis Shrimp

Squid

E. pacifica Krill

Fresh Shucked Oysters and Clams

Zooplankton and Rotifers

Oyster Eggs and Ovarian Tissue

Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids

Buffered Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C to delay oxidation)

D. salina Algae containing beta carotene

LRS Probiotics

here is the Hikari Reef Riot Carnivore Ingredient list for comparison

Oyster, scallop, krill, Canadian Mysis Shrimp (Freshwater Mysis relicta), ocean plankton, brine shrimp, shrimp, squid, cyclopods, red shrimp, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, carotene, pyridoxine hydrochloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphoshate (stabilized vitamin C), riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, choline chloride, folic acid, calcium pantothenate, inositol, niacin, calcium chloride, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, magnesium carbonate, zinc sulfate.

Fwiw, since I have gone to this feeding routine (frozen cubes along with LRS and ROE, turn off pumps for 10 minutes, then powerheads on for 10 minutes before sump pumps return) my corals (mixed of sps, lps softies etc) have perked up and the nuisance algae/bacteria has dissipated.

PS on the LRS site they have a link on the probiotics. Test results show that the live bacteria survives the freezing process. I presume this would apply to the DIY home food; bend up your own mix and freeze in ice cube trays and the bacteria should survive through thawing and feeding.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back