What’s with my acro?

3000kelvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brought this guy home from my LFS last week and after ~3 days it started shedding from the bottom up. Now it’s half bald.

b41952578ba24c8f7248e1abab9dfc0a.jpg

rawrsean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Montipora samarensis is dying via stn from base up. This is likely due to stress from one or more factors. A complete parameter list may help, but I fear it’s likely fluctuating alkalinity levels.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rtn
We need details on the tank
Tank size; Parameters, lighting, what are you dosing, are you using carbon dosing or using gfo?

rawrsean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rtn
We need details on the tank
Tank size; Parameters, lighting, what are you dosing, are you using carbon dosing or using gfo?

I disagree on the RTN diagnosis. If it has been doing this since he got it and it’s only half gone, it’s definitely STN.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree on the RTN diagnosis. If it has been doing this since he got it and it’s only half gone, it’s definitely STN.
I’ve never seen stn move that fast (3 days) or be described as shedding, but ok. Its not a good sign either way.

rawrsean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen stn move that fast (3 days) or be described as shedding, but ok. Its not a good sign either way.

RTN eliminates frags in a night, sometimes two. He said it started 3 days after purchase, which was last week. That means it could have started 4-5 days ago, in which case losing only half of a small frag would indicate STN.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RTN eliminates frags in a night, sometimes two. He said it started 3 days after purchase, which was last week. That means it could have started 4-5 days ago, in which case losing only half of a small frag would indicate STN.
I said ok bro

rawrsean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said ok bro

I guess I don’t understand the point of your reply: “I said ok bro”. What’s the significance?

You mentioned some confusion on the meaning of RTN and STN and so I clarified for you. I assume your reply is your show of gratitude?

You’re welcome, then! I think your confusion came from reading his original post incorrectly. No worries, as we all do that sort of thing from time to time.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 50 acros in my tank so I’m pretty sure I know the difference between stn/rtn. True stn doesn’t shed, but OK’ or agree to disagree, it doesn’t matter because either way it is not good.

rawrsean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 50 acros in my tank so I’m pretty sure I know the difference between stn/rtn. True stn doesn’t shed, but OK’ or agree to disagree, it doesn’t matter because either way it is not good.

His description for STN doesn’t mean anything nor does it prove your claim.

It is simple fact that RTN is so called for its rapid behavior. It does not take 4-5 days for a 2” frag to “RTN” and so the only option left is STN.

To add onto your point: I think the very fact that it’s necrosing evenly (“shedding”) gives more weight to STN, as RTN is typically much more erratic and leaves behind flesh that you are able to see physically peeling away.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't see how two people bickering over something is helping this guy?

rawrsean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't see how two people bickering over something is helping this guy?

Well, initially I commented because understanding if it’s RTN or STN would actually help OP understand what’s going on.

I have no idea why he decided to attack and argue, but at that point, I don’t want OP to think his problem is something it’s not.

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brought this guy home from my LFS last week and after ~3 days it started shedding from the bottom up. Now it’s half bald.

b41952578ba24c8f7248e1abab9dfc0a.jpg
First this is not acropora this is montipora samarenais, just to put that out of the way.If this started as soon as you broght home this means its not shedding it means that its basically dying slowly which is STN( slow tissue necrosis) the only thing that you can do to save it is to cut it with dremel/bonecutters 0.5 cm ablve the white skeleton part so basically its only the flesh and glue it to a frag plug because if you dont do this then your gonna lose the whole thin

Whats the water parameters and the lighting of your tank?

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, initially I commented because understanding if it’s RTN or STN would actually help OP understand what’s going on.

I have no idea why he decided to attack and argue, but at that point, I don’t want OP to think his problem is something it’s not.
First of all look at the time stamps
I posted rtn as rawrsean was posting stn, meaning I didn’t see his stn post, so it looks like I was correcting him, but that’s not the case, just weird timing. I wasn’t attacking just defending myself. Either way there’s not a simple answer, we need details from the OP

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all look at the time stamps
I posted rtn as rawrsean was posting stn, meaning I didn’t see his stn post, so it looks like I was correcting him, but that’s not the case, just weird timing. I wasn’t attacking just defending myself. Either way there’s not a simple answer, we need details from the OP

Honestly bro, looks like RTN to me too. I’ve had stuff RTN and just slow over some days. That’s still not “STN”.

This guy has STN:
Acro slowly dying from bottom up
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...wly-dying-from-bottom-up.601446/&share_type=t

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly bro, looks like RTN to me too. I’ve had stuff RTN and just slow over some days. That’s still not “STN”.

This guy has STN:
Acro slowly dying from bottom up
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=1020&share_tid=601446&url=https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Acro-slowly-dying-from-bottom-up.601446/&share_type=t
I agree, stn experiences for me have taken weeks or months before, but maybe that was sstn. After 20 years in this hobby I still learn something new everyday.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super slow tissue necrosis
Not to be confused with rstn
That’s just really slow tissue necrosis
And then there’s qstn
Quick slow tissue necrosis

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back