What’s your favorite equipment or method that is keeping your reef’s big three stable?

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve played with Kalk (in ATO, yes — not optimal), performed regular water changes, manual & auto dose 2-parts, dose All for Reef, ran a CaRx, and a combination of the above. I’m delighted to share that my CaRx is by-far the best investment I’ve made to maintain Alkalinity & Calcium stability (see graph). Best part is - no mixing jugs and splashing water every week/month. Given the current consumption, looks like I can go at least a year w/o tinkering with the CaRx. I don’t think I can ever go back to other methods again.

Curious on what everyone is doing?

IMG_5058.png

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it’s been controlled dosing with my trident and dos. I have considered setting up a calcium reactor though.
I had a DOS before and was too paranoid with auto-dosing based on Trident result. The Trident would give drastically wrong reading if it’s low on reagent. Happy that it’s working well for you.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a DOS before and was too paranoid with auto-dosing based on Trident result. The Trident would give drastically wrong reading if it’s low on reagent. Happy that it’s working well for you.
The failsafes built into controlled dosing is the reason I’m not too worried about it. I know several hobbyists who refuse to let it adjust their dose though.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not going to lie — tuning it was a PITA and everyone has a method. It took me a while but once settled, don’t touch it for months — if ever.
Forgot to mention: what worked well for me -- keep the effluent drip rate constant (I'm at 50mls/min) and simply adjust CO2 up/down to stabilize. I was pulling my hair out trying to fiddle with two parameters...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not going to lie — tuning it was a PITA and everyone has a method. It took me a while but once settled, don’t touch it for months — if ever.
The reality is that I actually dose very little calcium (<9ml daily, so I combine calcium and magnesium <1ml) on one head and alkalinity on the other. I guess if my SPS keep growing like they are I may have to rethink this strategy...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back