What’s your favorite ocean movie?

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday, I watched Puff for the first time on Netflix and it was very interesting. A lot of things I already knew, but some things I had never even known. A week ago, I watched My Octopus Teacher, and that one was fascinating as well. I want to watch some more of these movies, and unfortunately they’re few and far between. What are your favorites?
P.S. I hope it’s not just Finding Nemo lol
Happy New Year!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Poseidon Adventure (1972), of course. And apropos for tonight.

But Beyond the Poseidon Adventure was one of the worst movies I've ever seen -- almost completely unwatchable.

ooh, I almost forgot about The Neptune Disaster (Factor), which was nearly as bad. They had the original SeaLab module beached, on land, at the Seneca College campus where I went to camp in the early '80s. We kids used to play around in it. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But Beyond the Poseidon Adventure was one of the worst movies I've ever seen -- almost completely unwatchable.

ooh, I almost forgot about The Neptune Disaster (Factor), which was nearly as bad. The had the original SeaLab module beached, on land, at the Seneca College campus where I went to camp in the early '80s. We kids used to play around in it. :)
I’ll make sure to watch the good ones and steer clear of those others lol

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we talking documentaries or scripted/fictional movies? For documentaries the Blue Planet series is hard to beat. I find a lot of ocean related documentaries depressing these days, Blackfish, The Cove, etc, so I don’t watch too many.

As far as ocean related movies, The Abyss, Underwater, The Shallows, The Life Aquatic, Sanctum, Open Water, and of course the best worst ocean movie ever made: Waterworld (just barely nudging out Sphere for the top/bottom spot).

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Waterworld

But being serious, Puff might be the best one they've done. I think it was called Our Planet but there is a crazy one with a night time dive and a shark feeding frenzy. That is a fun watch

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is something I find so charming about the music and atmosphere of IMAX Deep Sea (2006):
1641019229403.jpeg

But this masterpiece is a close second!:
1641019334871.jpeg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ooh, I almost forgot about The Neptune Disaster (Factor), which was nearly as bad. The had the original SeaLab module beached, on land, at the Seneca College campus where I went to camp in the early '80s. We kids used to play around in it. :)
How is it possible I was going to say The Poseiden Adventure as well?! I love that movie and will have to watch it again now. I guess it's a good thing I didn't see the sequel. Haha. I also liked Deep Blue Sea. That had some surprising moments where I actually said "gee I didn't see that coming". LOL

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it possible I was going to say The Poseiden Adventure as well?! I love that movie and will have to watch it again now.
It's simulataneously both total camp and completely exciting, is full of "incredible" dialogue, and is therefore totally amazing. It's like that movie exists on three different planes of reality, all at once! Sometimes I find myself wandering around the house, muttering (and irritating the family to no end) "get to the Christmas tree!, I'm going under, I'm going under!", "in the water , I'm a very skinny lady!", and my favourite snippet of dialogue:
"She's got nothing under it!"
"Just panties, what else do I need?"

One of my regrets about leaving the city is that I once missed a screening of The Poseidon Adventure at a rep theatre that was featuring a Shelley Winters lookalike contest. I so would have won that one.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back