what’s your favorite soft coral?

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys i’m new to the hobby and am trying to stock up on soft coral and start doing some research on any i may have missed! so far i know there’s

1.mushrooms (ricordea florida, ricordea yuma, ???)
2.toadstool
3.xenia
4.zoas
5.cabbage
6.kenya trees
7.GSP
8.finger leathers
9.sinularia
10.crown leathers

are there any other species i’m missing? thanks!!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Softies are a huge category of many types of corals. However, we tend to generalize names. So When someone says finger leathers or sinularia it could be many types (family or genus or species) of corals actually. Mushrooms have tons of variety too in looks and shapes and colors (genus and species too).
However, those are the "generic" names used for most.
Palys will come up with zoas too.
Cloves will pop up.
Any gorgonia are "soft".
Stay away from carnation, flower type softies. They are non-photosynthetic and will be extremely challenging. They usually need "species" tank.

I love softies, so there are so many options out there. Good luck with finding the ones for you!

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Softies are a huge category of many types of corals. However, we tend to generalize names. So When someone says finger leathers or sinularia it could be many types (family or genus or species) of corals actually. Mushrooms have tons of variety too in looks and shapes and colors (genus and species too).
However, those are the "generic" names used for most.
Palys will come up with zoas too.
Cloves will pop up.
Any gorgonia are "soft".
Stay away from carnation, flower type softies. They are non-photosynthetic and will be extremely challenging. They usually need "species" tank.

I love softies, so there are so many options out there. Good luck with finding the ones for you!
thanks for the info!

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys i’m new to the hobby and am trying to stock up on soft coral and start doing some research on any i may have missed! so far i know there’s

1.mushrooms (ricordea florida, ricordea yuma, ???)
2.toadstool
3.xenia
4.zoas
5.cabbage
6.kenya trees
7.GSP
8.finger leathers
9.sinularia
10.crown leathers

are there any other species i’m missing? thanks!!

I have kept most on this list and while they are fun at first I got tired of them fairly quickly. Had to completely tear out and redo my rock work because they took over.

To answer the question in the title I would have to say zoas are my favorite because of all the color varieties. I will always keep 4 or 5 different colonies in my tanks. They are also easy to frag and trade if they get out of control.

Of the others you listed:

1. Slow growing ricordia are the only mushrooms I would ever keep. The rest seem spread too fast and are more pest like for me.
2. I like the green toadstool and will probably continue to keep one. They do get big fast though and I do have to cut it down to a nub once every year or two.
3. I will never keep xenia again. Total disaster with how fast it spreads. you can try to isolate but eventually one piece will detach and spread. Too much work to keep it under control.
5. Never had a cabbage
6. I do like my kenya tree even though I have to pluck the smaller ones that sprout up from time to time. They are quick and easy to remove and only have to do it a couple times a year.
7. I'll never keep GSP again. Requires too much attention to keep under control. Nearly impossible to get rid of also without totally nuking the rock.
8. Never had a finger leather.
9. Not sure I'll keep sinularia again either just for the fact it grows too quick.
10. Never had a crown leather.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas, rhodactis, toadstool, cloves, xenia... I love em!
DFC296C7-65D1-4359-BBA0-733DBB70BA31.jpeg
F25920E2-7D73-4DCF-B1AC-95B2C71B55BF.jpeg
F2478B5A-C0FF-4A28-A96E-169342ADB1C6.jpeg
1A60F9B3-A2B3-4E2C-8DB7-C871FE2B3FC8.jpeg
E37A1902-E000-483F-850D-C64B201E8FDB.jpeg
1FFD1D63-318F-42F9-9131-C1EF05962363.jpeg
A0D16AD8-677A-475E-828B-92C245C838A3.jpeg

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept most on this list and while they are fun at first I got tired of them fairly quickly. Had to completely tear out and redo my rock work because they took over.

To answer the question in the title I would have to say zoas are my favorite because of all the color varieties. I will always keep 4 or 5 different colonies in my tanks. They are also easy to frag and trade if they get out of control.

Of the others you listed:

1. Slow growing ricordia are the only mushrooms I would ever keep. The rest seem spread too fast and are more pest like for me.
2. I like the green toadstool and will probably continue to keep one. They do get big fast though and I do have to cut it down to a nub once every year or two.
3. I will never keep xenia again. Total disaster with how fast it spreads. you can try to isolate but eventually one piece will detach and spread. Too much work to keep it under control.
5. Never had a cabbage
6. I do like my kenya tree even though I have to pluck the smaller ones that sprout up from time to time. They are quick and easy to remove and only have to do it a couple times a year.
7. I'll never keep GSP again. Requires too much attention to keep under control. Nearly impossible to get rid of also without totally nuking the rock.
8. Never had a finger leather.
9. Not sure I'll keep sinularia again either just for the fact it grows too quick.
10. Never had a crown leather.
i appreciate your response! thanks for the tips. what is your opinion on a gsp wall? where you kind of want them to spread but just not on to the rockwork. are they able to detach and mount themselves on to rocks like xenias?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first pic is a macro shot of a orange and blue rhodactis, the forth pic are rock flower anemones! I love them, not sure if they’re classified as ‘softies’ but IMO, they’re great. Got mine from Aquatic Arsenal for $13 a piece.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i appreciate your response! thanks for the tips. what is your opinion on a gsp wall? where you kind of want them to spread but just not on to the rockwork. are they able to detach and mount themselves on to rocks like xenias?

I tried growing it on the back wall and also the side wall on separate occasions. you can't have any rocks within a few inches of it as the mat will eventually thicken and start shooting out stalks that grow horizontal. If you get a little lax and don't cut it back before it touches a rock you will never get it off naturally.

I also found that growing on the side wall also required lots of maintenance because it would wrap around and reach the front glass eventually. If you go this route don't ever let it get within a few inches of the corners. Once it's there you are done for as you don't want to scrape it off the silicone to risk damage, and any shred left will sprout out from the corner to the front glass in a matter of weeks.

I am fairly lazy and don't like to do much work with my tank so the gsp is not for me.

Keep in mind I also run a dirty skimmerless tank so all softies grow like weeds for me. If you are a little more diligent and motivated than I am to keep nitrates and phosphates down then maybe you will not have the same issues.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mike,
Can you tell me how long the orange tree sponge in the softie tank has been with you? Any specific care requirements?
Thank you, again, both tanks are outstanding!!!
Cheers

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mike,
Can you tell me how long the orange tree sponge in the softie tank has been with you? Any specific care requirements?
Hey Mike,
Cheers

Sorry,
Wrong thread...
Oops :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back