What am I doing wrong?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Surfzone
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
350 peak up top, and in the low 100's on the Sandbed..

BRS has some great videos on the subject. Check YouTube and BRSTV
 
My acros and sps are thriving with 4 hours peak and 4 hour ramps up and down. BRS recommends 250-350 for sps for 6-7 hours of peak power. Some of my acros are getting 450-500 par for 4 hours but it took 3 months to acclimate them.
 
Alright I do run the ab+ with an hour ramp up and down. pH stays between 7.8 and 8.3. I have no Par numbers but it seems to be that lighting is the issue. This weekend I'm going to rent a PAR meter from my LFS. I'm also going to shorten my light schedule. What PAR range should I be shooting for through out the tank?
Most sps like at least 250 par. I would shoot for 150 on the sand bed or bottom and 300 ish top to mid of the tank. Yeah sounds like you are blasting your corals with light.
 
Its not what you need to do, but rather do NOT Do.
You've heard " Keep it Stable". Chasing levels and numbers is the worse thing one can do in respect to SPS coral. Yes, you may increase/decrease out of norm levels, but very gradually. An example is my PH. It hovers at 7.6-7.7. I'd love 7.9 but I just leave it alone. I let the corals talk to me. If they look happy, I take the time to enjoy my tank. If something looks off, I start with water change.
Consider an ICP test such as triton to get a complete analysis of your levels and you will then know what needs to be done next. Some changes can be accomplished by simple change in salt brands
 
Honestly what I've learned from killing plenty of frags myself, if you are going to cook acros in light they need nutrients. Your PO4 might be too low believe it or not. Just my 2 pennies. It's a relationship between nutrients alk and light that needs a balance
 
I would take the advice of others and consider reducing your lighting. See if you could borrow/rent a PAR meter.

Otherwise, I'm of the opinion that problematic tanks should do an ICP test. There could be something in your water that the corals simply hate. For ~$50, it's well worth the investment.
 
So I've reduced my lights down to 50% with a photo period of 8 hours and things are turning around. I'm getting color back in my corals. While I'm yet to note any growth recession has stoped.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new