What are some SPS most haves?

ikolbaba06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just starting off. Red planet is a great acro to try. Great colors and pretty hardy plus awesome growth pattern.
I would say it depends on what you want color wise too. I just bought rr yellow matrix and it's incredibly bright yellow. I love color contrast and growth patterns on acropora. Also bought extreme shortcake because ive always loved the growth and colors. You pretty much can't go wrong with most named corals. Just stay away from green corals haha. The green slimer is a real stunner though.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to digress, but I have tierra del fuego available. Nicely sized pieces too, chunky between 1.5-2" in size. PM me if you are interested.
I'll hit you up on the soon! A little broke now, but you've got some killer stuff on the site right now!

Bubs2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walt Disney Tenuis (if you can pull the color)
Oregon Tort
Red Planet
Blueberry Fields Acro
Yellow Planet
Miyagi Tort

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok tierra del fuego, because why not. :)

Boom-4349.jpg

Is the coloration for the tierra similar to a red planet? I have the red planet and love the colors. Wonder if adding the Tierra would really add to the tank.

Brad Vaughn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really it depends on what you like. There are so many nice looking corals out there its hard to pick just one or two.

If you like high contrast corals, I would suggest any "Bonsai" type - dark purple skin with electric green polyps. These are always stunning looking. Red Planet corals are also beautiful with the green base offset by the deep red tips and even darker red polyps.

For stag type growth, its hard to beat the green slimer - all they do is grow - yellow-green skin with green polyps. PC Rainbow is also a nice stag type coral with red-orange skin at the tips, orange-yellow-green skin at the base with red polyps.

For shaggy type corals, I like millies (Rommel's watermelon millie being my favorite colored much like the red planet) but there are also some crazy hairy looking tenius as well. CherryCorals has a plutonium tenius thats a bright green and has polylp extension that puts some millies to shame. Sunset millie is also a nice contrasting color with a yellow-orange skin and green polylps

Other randoms that I like: ORA Pearlberry, BC Nilbog Resident or Rainbows in Spain, JF Fox Flame, WT Mother of Pearl

I didn't get it from Cherry but it's the shaggiest acropora I have ever seen.
20170918_201303.jpg

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite SPS corals are:

Red planet
Pearlberry
Strawberry Shortcake
Ice Fire
Garf Bonsai or ORA Tricolor (they are similar)
Cali Tort
ORA Hawkins Echinata
Green Slimer
Bird of Paradise or Ponape Bird's nest

They are beautiful, easy to color up, fast growing and pretty easy to get. Except for the Ice Fire - I have a hard time getting that one myself.

These are just as beautiful as the high-end ones but don't get the press because they are fairly common. No special lighting, special photography or perfect tank parameters required. I think Pearlberry at its best is one of most beautiful corals, period.

Last edited:

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the coloration for the tierra similar to a red planet? I have the red planet and love the colors. Wonder if adding the Tierra would really add to the tank.
The color is VERY similar. Some have a hard time telling apart. But the Tierra will stay a more brilliant pink and purple, almost neon in color. In addition, it retains more deep green in the lower branches, offsetting the brilliant lighter colors. Lastly, it doesn't plate like red planet does, but instead it branches up and out more than plate.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. Some people have a hard time seeing the difference with red planet. I can see the difference right away but that's because I stare at both every day lol. Also the amount of "rainbow" as you might call it can vary greatly depending on lighting. (Though I think the term rainbow is greatly overused in this hobby) The growth pattern is a dead giveaway though. Your lighting and flow will have an effect on the look of the coral, as is with most Corals.

For those looking for a Tierra del Fuego........it has distinct rainbow type colors and coralites. It's not a red table..............make sure it looks correct or you're getting something else.

Here's a few pics of mine..........it was cut from that colony in post #2

tierra 041017 R by Big E 52, on Flickr

tierra del fuego by Big E 52, on Flickr

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Correct. Some people have a hard time seeing the difference with red planet. I can see the difference right away but that's because I stare at both every day lol. Also the amount of "rainbow" as you might call it can vary greatly depending on lighting. (Though I think the term rainbow is greatly overused in this hobby) The growth pattern is a dead giveaway though. Your lighting and flow will have an effect on the look of the coral, as is with most Corals.

Whatever you have looks nothing like the Tierra pictures I posted............. the colors and especially the coralite structure is not remotely the same.

Any noob can tell the difference between a Red Planet and a Tierra. These are my two colonies side by side comparison...........both were about the same size.

tierra ---red planet by Big E 52, on Flickr

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Whatever you have looks nothing like the Tierra pictures I posted............. the colors and especially the coralite structure is not remotely the same.

Any noob can tell the difference between a Red Planet and a Tierra. These are my two colonies side by side comparison...........both were about the same size.

tierra ---red planet by Big E 52, on Flickr
It is Tierra del Fuego, I assure you. ;)

I'm also talking about frag vs mother colony. Like many corals it doesn't show it's true colors until it grows bigger.

Last edited:

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick iPhone pic of the mother colony. Note how the frag I posted doesn't look anything like the mother. But it's the same coral.

IMG_2821.jpg

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back