What are the coolest "species specific tanks" and do you want to set one up?

Have you ever set up a "species specific tank" and if so what was it for?

• Yes for a fish

Votes: 101 29.1%
  • Yes for a coral

Votes: 69 19.9%
  • Yes for an invert

Votes: 67 19.3%
  • Yes for an algae

Votes: 26 7.5%
  • Yes but for something else (please explain)

Votes: 19 5.5%
  • No I have not but would like to in the future

Votes: 78 22.5%
  • No and not interested in setting one up

Votes: 56 16.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The saltwater reef aquarium hobby is FULL of the most interesting fish, coral, inverts and critters and that's why we love it so much! Sadly not all of these cool critters can live together. In fact some really need to be housed in specific Eco-systems sometimes referred to as a species tank. Some fish can't live together or be housed together, some coral can't thrive under certain same conditions as others, critters get eaten or some corals are just too invasive and so on! Let's talk about them!

What kind of species tank do you think would make for a coolest species specific tank?

Have you ever set up a species specific tank and if so what was it? Still got it running?

image via @Volitans67
tumblr_ml712jFpbg1qzbobto4_500.jpg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like tridacna clams a lot, but I don’t feel the need to have a tank only for them though (variety is the spice of life) so I just plan to stock a lot of them in my tank mixed in with complementary corals.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d see myself doing this for various predators, fresh or salt. Of course, I’d probably wind up trying to keep a lasting supply of feeders in with it.
It also is good for breeding, if that’s your end goal, any other fish is going to reduce the overall amount of fry produced.

Only species specific I’ve had was with bettas, so that doesn’t really count I suppose.

ReeferinTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a diver, Garden Eels and Mantis Shrimp are amazing creatures to watch in the wild.
And seeing as its impractical and Sea Turtles are endangered...
Clown Harem Tanks are just amazing things to watch, the life and motion are mesmerizing even through the activity level is non-stop action.
My Wife's Spirit Animal is the Seahorse, so she is already planning a Seahorse nano for her office in the house (which makes my spirit animal the even elusive American Greenback ).

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Octopus! Though I did have a mantis in my sump and I LOVED it, so fun and such an interesting creature. But Octopus, hands down. This is Moriarty, my Pacific Red Octo, in a Red Sea 250. Eventually, I plan on converting that tank to a seahorse tank. (Or an angler? I love those, so much. Or a cuttlefish? @Wtyson254 forgot about those....)

Moriarty:
IMG_4276.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

Layton (OR)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite species specific tanks have always been at public aquariums, the giant pacific octopus. They are simply incredible to watch. Problem solving ability is so cool. Feels like they look into my soul, similar to Independence Day when the alien comes to life and starts communicating in their heads :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back