What are the coolest "species specific tanks" and do you want to set one up?

Have you ever set up a "species specific tank" and if so what was it for?

• Yes for a fish

Votes: 101 29.1%
  • Yes for a coral

Votes: 69 19.9%
  • Yes for an invert

Votes: 67 19.3%
  • Yes for an algae

Votes: 26 7.5%
  • Yes but for something else (please explain)

Votes: 19 5.5%
  • No I have not but would like to in the future

Votes: 78 22.5%
  • No and not interested in setting one up

Votes: 56 16.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like they can be shipped within the U.S., but if you're looking to export them it becomes a bigger hurdle to certain countries.
Yeah, figured that would be the case. Hopefully I come across some eventually, Would be intriguing to set up a jar for them, I haven’t seen them in a reef setting although I read something about them being brackish shrimp.

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, figured that would be the case. Hopefully I come across some eventually, Would be intriguing to set up a jar for them, I haven’t seen them in a reef setting although I read something about them being brackish shrimp.
I was reading about them and they are brackish shrimp and can even be converted to marine but I don't know how true that is. Only place you can get them from is Hawaii and of course from anyone who has access to them. I've never seen them in my LFS. They do look pretty cool!

Majolica15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Opae ula still being collected or have they too been banned?
I’m curious as I only recently came across them and they look so adorable.
I got some with my seahorses from Ocean Rider. I also saw one retailer for them, petshrimp.com. I've never ordered from them though. Also, be aware, they're expensive. I wanted to add to my population that came with the seahorses, but just haven't convinced myself to do it yet. They're pretty low maintenance, once they're set up. I have mine in an unheated bucket in my basement with a sponge filter. If I remember correctly, I think I set them up at 1.011. It's whatever Ocean Rider suggested. I might try a few in my low end brackish tank once that's set up. I usually forget they're there for several weeks at a time (the bucket has a lid because they like it dark, so there's very little evaporation), and then I remember to check on them, and they're just swimming about. Ocean Rider sent macroalgae to feed them, and they must eat it, because that's all I've ever given them. I just checked, and it looks like I've had them for about 2 months.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main specie specific tank was for seahorses, and having kept seahorses both in a specie specific tank and in a mixed reef, I highly recommend keeping them in a specie specific tank. My ponies were very healthy when I did it that way. I experienced problems with bacterial infections when I put them in a mixed reef.

Surskit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ever since i saw an article here on it, i've wanted to set up a species specific tank for flashlight fish! i don't think i'm anywhere near experienced enough as a keeper yet, but it's probably my number one fantasy tank that i'd love to have in the future

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I once had a monti cap only tank with 5 different color combo's and I also had a zoanthid only tank.
I'm tempted to redo the zoanthid only tank, but even some fairly common zoanthids have gotten so expensive, it would take a really long time to fill in.

Poseidon9697

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a really cool macro algae only tank on Youtube that I can't seem to find right now, but I thought that was really neat. The guy had to dose nitrates and phosphates because there were no other creatures in there that would produce them as biproducts.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll go with boring. I'd like to do an anemone tank. I won't put them in my big tank as I don't want to deal with them there, esp. if they split and take over. But my observation tank with 1 permanent clown would be okay. If I go back to using it for observing new fish, I'd have to disrupt the rock work to tank new fish out. But I love anemones.

also love sea horses.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 26 35.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back