What are these?

Hadders95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

I was cleaning my tank and removing hair angle when I noticed a small tail coming from under one of my mushrooms and then saw a few more on the side of the rock, I also noticed there was a lot of these creatures in my sump and in the bottom of my skimmer, can anyone tell me what they are? Thank you

CAE915BF-CEDA-4EEB-90E9-B234C9E5BC3C.jpeg 4F98AE4C-6D3C-4A56-9A95-BDB7310A2414.jpeg E484683A-A7CB-4455-8687-CFCB0733D6EB.jpeg

OP
OP
Hadders95

Hadders95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first 2 pictures those are pineapple sponges. Can't see what your looking at in the 3rd

Thank you so much, would you be able to elaborate on what pineapple sponges are? Are they harmful to the tank etc? The 3rd one is a tail coming from under the mushroom, it looks like the tail of the sponge but just in the display tank, cheers

cromburger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they are tail looking things coming out of a tiny whitish shell like piece, it is most likely vermetid snails. IMO they are not that bad, they can sting corals with their tentacle and a pain to get rid of. i have had luck with pygmy angels eating them

Pablopufferfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much, would you be able to elaborate on what pineapple sponges are? Are they harmful to the tank etc? The 3rd one is a tail coming from under the mushroom, it looks like the tail of the sponge but just in the display tank, cheers
Pineapple sponges are harmless and beneficial filter feeders no need to worry. The last one I can’t tell, maybe what cromburger said.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hadders95

Hadders95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they are tail looking things coming out of a tiny whitish shell like piece, it is most likely vermetid snails. IMO they are not that bad, they can sting corals with their tentacle and a pain to get rid of. i have had luck with pygmy angels eating them
Cheers thank you

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back