What are your must have utilitarian fish?

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several fish that serve vital roles for our slices of the reef from algae control to pest control/eradication. For my tanks I must have a tang for algae (bristletooth or zebrasoma), some sort of wrasse for coral pests (six-line or one of the Halichoeres), and a Molly Miller Blenny for aiptasia (has always worked for my tanks). What are some fish that you'll always have due to the benefit they provide to the tank?

OP
OP
Oregon Grown Reef

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot of experience yet but from what I've heard I think I want a Bristletooth Tang. Kole, Square Tail, White Tail, Two Spot? Any advice would be appreciated.
I have both the yellow eye and white tail in different tanks. Both are constantly grazing and equally beautiful, just in different ways. They don't have an appetite for bubble algae, unfortunately, but they're hard workers nonetheless.

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rabbitfish (favourite is Siganus corallinus as they seem to be the best bryopsis option), bristletooth tang and sixline wrasse. I currently have a spotted mandarin to control flatworms (and she's done an amazing job) but that is more situational.

OP
OP
Oregon Grown Reef

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rabbitfish (favourite is Siganus corallinus as they seem to be the best bryopsis option), bristletooth tang and sixline wrasse. I currently have a spotted mandarin to control flatworms (and she's done an amazing job) but that is more situational.

I'm guessing the six-line is going to be high on a lot of lists. Those and peppermint shrimp were proven to be incredibly effective against aefw.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t trust tangs. So I do a foxface and a halichores wrasse. I’d also add a sand-sifter but my hawk has become a goby killer unfortunately so I have to rely on stars and conchs.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's wrong with tangs?
Idk really… I guess I’m mostly worried about disease and aggression. (I swear I see a dead blue hippo at even the best LFS's.) And honestly every time I go looking for a tang I run into a wrasse or something I like better.
I get why people like them I’m sure they’re great, just not for me.

Last edited:

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk really… I guess I’m mostly worried about disease and aggression. (I swear I see a dead blue hippo at even the best LFS's.) And honestly every time I go looking for a tang I run into a wrasse or something I like better.

the trick is to first ask the LFS to feed them. If they don't eat, don't even bother. If they eat, then it's worth taking it home. Then, QT like crazy! With tangs I copper them, regardless of whether they're showing spots or not. Then I treat with Prazi for parasites. By then they're pretty much bullet proof. I've had all of mine for multiple years now with no problems :)

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both the yellow eye and white tail in different tanks. Both are constantly grazing and equally beautiful, just in different ways. They don't have an appetite for bubble algae, unfortunately, but they're hard workers nonetheless.
Thanks. It's not looking good for finding a Yellow Eye Kole so I'm likely going with one of the other bristletooth's. Pleased to hear good things about the white tail. My main concern will be how things go when my 7" PBT goes in. He's currently in another tank and will be added either at the same time or after the bristletooth.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although my experience doesn't seem typical as I've had good luck with PBT's I've never been able to keep a Hippo alive for long.

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My own dislike of tangs is that they bully new fish when added and they seem neurotic and never just relax. I like foxface but find they need to hang out with a buddy fish similar in size or they just hide and also act neurotic. I save the term psychotic and psychopathic for a pair of clarki clownfish.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My own dislike of tangs is that they bully new fish when added and they seem neurotic and never just relax. I like foxface but find they need to hang out with a buddy fish similar in size or they just hide and also act neurotic. I save the term psychotic and psychopathic for a pair of clarki clownfish.
I agree, my onespot foxface was always hiding at the LFS before I bought it. Now that its in my tank it doesnt leave the area of my copperband except for nap time.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a tank large enough for tangs but my go to is a sixline wrass for pest and my diamond watchman gobie for white, although uneven, sand. Both accomplish their tasks well.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t imagine a reef without tangs. My current tang fang.

Attachments

• 83B127BE-1281-4127-B2DF-3542058088A4.jpeg
    83B127BE-1281-4127-B2DF-3542058088A4.jpeg
    433.6 KB · Views: 86

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back