What are your must have utilitarian fish?

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My step bother owns what is essentially my LFS although his main business is coral farming. He has Convict Tangs in most of his tanks for algae control and recommended that I do the same.
I've had mine for a couple of months and he's an algae eating machine and isn't the least bit aggressive towards anyone else. I know they're not the most impressive Tang to look at but he certainly does the business. My only problem is providing enough food!

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My step bother owns what is essentially my LFS although his main business is coral farming. He has Convict Tangs in most of his tanks for algae control and recommended that I do the same.
I've had mine for a couple of months and he's an algae eating machine and isn't the least bit aggressive towards anyone else. I know they're not the most impressive Tang to look at but he certainly does the business. My only problem is providing enough food!
I actually think convicts are beautiful tangs! I'd really like one, but will have to wait until I upgrade... again... lol (I'm sure it'll happen eventually!)

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk really… I guess I’m mostly worried about disease and aggression. (I swear I see a dead blue hippo at even the best LFS's.) And honestly every time I go looking for a tang I run into a wrasse or something I like better.
I get why people like them I’m sure they’re great, just not for me.
Well don’t get a blue hippo :squinting-face-with-tongue: and imo they aren’t a tang. They suck at there job.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I'd consider it utilitarian but I got a green mandarin for the massive amount of brown flat worms I had and she pretty much wiped them out. I did that instead of flat worm exit. Almost two years now and she's fat and there are barely any flat worms.

eliza209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you recommend for a 30 gallon tank? I currently have two clowns, one diamond goby, a coral banded shrimp and a scarlet legged crab. What might be next if anything? I do plan on adding corals eventually. My tank is about 2 months old and doing great so far!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you recommend for a 30 gallon tank? I currently have two clowns, one diamond goby, a coral banded shrimp and a scarlet legged crab. What might be next if anything? I do plan on adding corals eventually. My tank is about 2 months old and doing great so far!
Not sure what you are asking. Fish or inverts?

eliza209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish for now, please. So many I see listed as great for CUC are not good in a small tank.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater Acclimated Molies are my main utility fish. They spend all day eating algae and detritus none stop. Plus a free source of live feed.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy.
A one man ( or women) rock cleaning professional.
AD95D690-E9CA-4F28-A15F-0C2623407287.jpeg

cpbartak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fish for now, please. So many I see listed as great for CUC are not good in a small tank.
I'd replace the diamond goby with this guy in that small of a tank as the diamond will likely starve out eventually:

Then, I'd go with a pink-streaked wrasse (because six line wrasses are evil) to help with pest control once you get coral and maybe add a goby-like fish known to help with algae, like a Rainford's goby or a Twin Spot blenny.

Last edited:

cpbartak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You know, there's one other type of fish that I consider utilitarian that I rarely see mentioned in these threads, fish that clean other fish: cleaner gobies and cleaner wrasses. Are they not considered utilitarian fish because no one ever mentions them?

eliza209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Oregon Grown Reef

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, there's one other type of fish that I consider utilitarian that I rarely see mentioned in these threads, fish that clean other fish: cleaner gobies and cleaner wrasses. Are they not considered utilitarian fish because no one ever mentions them?
From what I understand, cleaner fish are better for larger tanks with many fish. I've heard they can "overclean" fish in smaller tanks since they don't have more filthy fish to go to.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back