How many years you been in the hobby?

• Total voters

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 5 to 6 years, but 4 to 5 were in the late 70's early 80's with metal frames, under gravel filters, and happy to have aptasia as proof that I could keep an anemone

second wave is a classic Covid tank acquisition - started March '20 with a used 40IM cube, that I have now passed on to my son and now taking on gallons like a cruise liner that hit a reef,

Having challenges with shifting from practices that "seemed like a good idea at eat time" to better (not yet best) practices without shocking the system.

But intend to settle down and enjoy these as they hopefully enter cruise control mode

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Almost 36 years

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6.5 years and going strong. I have delt with almost every nightmare in this hobby.. getting all the bad out of the way so the next 20+ years will be smooth sailing - haa right.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first saltwater tank (FOWLR) in 1996 when I was 15, and I’ve taken a total of four years off in since then (gone completely tankless), so total time having tanks would be around 21years.

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to the variety of years of reefers that we have here. To all the vets please add some sound advice & to all our newer reefers please add a question.
25 years. Advice:
1. keep learning. The hobby evolves constantly.
2. redundancy. All equipment fails. If you cannot live with the consequence when it fails then build in redundancy.
3. If your approach/system relies heavily on your frequent action, you will eventually have a problem. We all get busy, have other priorities, or loose interest for a while. Design your approach to enable success during these periods.
4. Only bad things happen fast

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 years. Advice:
1. keep learning. The hobby evolves constantly.
2. redundancy. All equipment fails. If you cannot live with the consequence when it fails then build in redundancy.
3. If your approach/system relies heavily on your frequent action, you will eventually have a problem. We all get busy, have other priorities, or loose interest for a while. Design your approach to enable success during these periods.
4. Only bad things happen fast
This is the main reason I bought all the apex crap. Is it perfect? heck no. Can I control things remotely up and to water changes or outlets? Absolutely. Even if it’s not 100% refined it’s the setup I wish I could’ve had when I was 21. So many bad things from failures or over complications…

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the main reason I bought all the apex crap. Is it perfect? heck no. Can I control things remotely up and to water changes or outlets? Absolutely. Even if it’s not 100% refined it’s the setup I wish I could’ve had when I was 21. So many bad things from failures or over complications…
control is a rabbit hole. I’ve gone too far and regretted the complexity. not enough is a problem too for occasionally lazy reefers. Everyone’s sweet spot will be different

Grallster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im baby at 6 months and like most things in life,try your best to learn from others mistakes.
A clever man learns from his own mistakes.
But a wise man learns from others mistakes my dad taught me when little.

But unfortunately some things we dont believe enough so have to keep making same miatakes till we do believe ^_^
Haha…not sure if the misspelling is on purpose or not, but I sure thought it was funny!!
I had my first saltwater in 8th grade in 1987 and I’ve been reefing since 2001. I’ve had at least one tank running continuously since 1994. My advice—try to limit “knee jerk reactions “

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AGREED in FULL Im almost fully automated less feeding I can leave for months now.

I thought i was 30ish years in, 28 is my number

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie with my own tank (3 months), but I maintained a tank with my ex for five years — I left most of the maintenance and water parameter responsibility to him. He stocked it, but I cared for the livestock and was the official fire worm catcher. He never dipped anything. :mad:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back