What bacteria do you use to cycle your aquarium?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kyan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use this.
IMG_0738.jpeg

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock from other tank or sea/ aqua-cultured rock

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MB& is a poor choice, according to taricha's studies:

"The negative controls of "sterilized" and Tank water did precisely nothing to ammonia over the 33 days, and MB7 and PNS substrate sauce looked like the do-nothings."

"I'm a bit surprised at the number of people in threads who use MB7 as cycling bacteria (BRS apparently promoted it for that purpose in videos?), but I'm confident it's one of the heterotroph types, and so addition of food later should be much more illuminating."

@taricha

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a good bacteria to use to cycle my tank. I want to make sure that the tank starts out on the right foot. What bacteria do you use?
I just drop a couple of pellets of food in the tank and let the bacteria present in the air find the food and cycle the tank.

Takes 4-6 weeks.

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Fritz's Turbo Start, it allowed me to immediately transfer my livestock from my other tank and essentially "skip" the cycle process.
It worked wonders for me and I never had any worries about my cycle or having an ammonia spike.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have great luck with Pohl's bacteria and Micro Bacter XLM

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew nothing when I started (and not too much now) but:
I never even purposely added nitrifying bacteria.
Cycle happened anyway and completed around 1-1.5 months.

*I wonder if proximity to the real ocean comes into play here at all

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by day 15 after dosing, what difference does it make what kind of bacteria anyone uses

long game is post day fifteen: fish disease. what bacteria a reef uses to start has 0% impact on that reef's life arc/trajectory in the long game I think all the relays of best practice should be centered around fish disease.

current standard of cycling in reefing: all the bottle bac carry a light fish load day 1 if we want them to, a couple clowns isn't 2 ppm workload and any decent bottle pulls it off we see in searches, the thing never discussed is disease preps as the real hidden need for the system

result-note how busy the disease forum is today/ we are causing a throughput belt in reefing that leads right to dead fish in a bucket. the cycle is given without much effort, all sampling and study and prep need to be around fish disease prevention steps. a new cycling article should state as much, to free up people from the concern of which bac to use. the cycle part is the .01% concern. the market is designed to make it seem like the choice matters.

even the longest most prepared cycle has nothing to do with disease prevention, cycling is about simply carrying bioload ammonia and not allowing a tipping point for the system. that can come quickly nowadays, for cost, by any of the brands.
see latest studies in the research forum.

the steps for real true disease prep are detailed, arduous, and way more dedicated than the average tanker will agree to, its far harder than selecting just a brand

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used bottled bacteria for the first time on my last tank. I used fritz start 900 and it worked great. I did add a container of rock rubble from one of my established sumps also so I'm sure that helped.
I've also been adding a small amount microbactor 7 and bacto balance daily for a few months and my uglies have been very minimal.

oldbob50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock and substrate from an established and healthy tank. This gives you a lot more bio diversity than just cycling bacteria.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back