What camera to get?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, Diesel is breaking the bank again, looking for a nice camera that makes awesome vids of my tank.
I like to have one with settings that I can bring the real colors out of the corals and fish not that they all blued up, LOL.
To mind comes the GoPro cause you can use it in and out of the water.
I'm also thinking about to upgrade my DSLR camera, on the moment I use a Nikon D80 but it's about 6 years old.
What will be a good DSLR camera with video feature that will give me awesome results.
Oh, while I'm at it suggestions on a macro lens is a + too.
If you have a suggestion on a type of camera and you using it please maybe show a link so I can see the results.
Some one shot a vid of my tank and since then I want to do it myself, cause there are moments that I like to frame from some crazy behavior of my livestock.

Thanks is in advance.
Ben.

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GoPro is nice because it can be submerged, but really for reefs does not usually give good results, especially if you want to pull frames out of the video to print. The blue in our lights screws it up, and the close to 1' nearest focus distance is very very annoying in tanks. Even bigger tanks, it can be hard to move it around to get a good vid while keeping it at least a foot away from everything you want to be in focus. It can get some good vids if you keep in mind its limitations, but it takes some practice and adjusting of lights to do so.

SLR - lots of options out there :) Do you have a budget for camera and lens?

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your budget?

GoPro is nice because it can be submerged, but really for reefs does not usually give good results, especially if you want to pull frames out of the video to print. The blue in our lights screws it up, and the close to 1' nearest focus distance is very very annoying in tanks. Even bigger tanks, it can be hard to move it around to get a good vid while keeping it at least a foot away from everything you want to be in focus. It can get some good vids if you keep in mind its limitations, but it takes some practice and adjusting of lights to do so.

SLR - lots of options out there :) Do you have a budget for camera and lens?

As a GoPro will run me about $400/500 with extra stuff, and i can use it for other stuff to, like mounting it on my bike or bike Helmet.
I think I have more use out of a now days SRL, I can shoot pics or make a Vid and I can change out my lenses.
As of now I have a Nikon so I would prefer stick with that brand in that case I can reuse my lenses.
Should buy a Macro and new camera body.
Budget............... well, you know me Cat.............. no budget as of yet but I also don't need to look like Paul Huff.
As I said I have a Nikon D80 now.
Say I throw 3K on the table, what would that get me?

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to stick with Nikon, the D7100 is exceptional. You'll also have plenty of room for a couple of new lenses, which is where most of image quality comes. Canon has the market for video, however. The Canon 7D is a good bet as well.

Last edited:

Dsobo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer Nikon myself, I have a D5100 but after looking at the comparisons I should have gotten the D7100. If you are looking at putting $3000 on the table I would look at the new D610 it's getting great reviews, plus add a great 85mm or 105mm macro lense.

Last edited:

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've got a killer deal on canon 30d. $300 with a ton of extras. great for the beginner dslr. just need to find the funds to get a macro len for it. this is like a "whats the best salt mix". lol the best thing to do is go to best buy or a camera shop and play with the nikon and canons. see what one feels better in your hands since your going to be holding it.

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so far guys, all good points.
The D7100 looks awesome.
Yes, it's like what's the best salt, and I'm the one that need to handle it.
Ok a few more, keep it coming........

Acroholics

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine attached a go pro to a magnet over the case and one on the outside of the glass to move the camera and keep it still while submerged

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back