What color?!? Ammonia

luisruiz326

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color am I looking at?
Nitrates came down last couple days and so did nitrites just need ammonia to hit 0.

D9BAB78C-252F-475E-BF9D-3631411AFDB8.jpeg

OP
OP
L

luisruiz326

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this from cycling
Yes this is from cycling. Currently at 0 PPM for both nitrite and nitrate. Just last week I was at 1ppm ammonia, 2 PPM Nitrite and 20 PPM nitrate. Did a water 50% water change and now getting 0 PPM for both nitrite and nitrate

Upvote 0

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates shouldnt be coming down unless you didnwater change or u have something in there using it up. That doesnt look like any ammonia to me, i use API and have had 0 ammonia for about 3 months and looks same as mine

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

luisruiz326

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates shouldnt be coming down unless you didnwater change or u have something in there using it up. That doesnt look like any ammonia to me, i use API and have had 0 ammonia for about 3 months and looks same as mine
The only thing I have in there is live rock and sand. I think it looks like .25-.5 if yours looks the same I think I should get a new testing kit?

Upvote 0

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I have in there is live rock and sand. I think it looks like .25-.5 if yours looks the same I think I should get a new testing kit?
How r u introducing ammonia to keep feeding bacteria? You wont stall cycle but there has to be a lil ammonia in there. Ghost feeding or

Upvote 0

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an order of fish coming in today and didn’t want to put them into a harmful tank.
This is probably important to mention. Can you give more details on how you cycled the tank? What method did you use? Where are you at in the timeline of cycling? This will help us help you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

luisruiz326

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How r u introducing ammonia to keep feeding bacteria? You wont stall cycle but there has to be a lil ammonia in there. Ghost feeding or
I was introducing ammonia by ghost feeding. Everyone once in a while. Started seeing the ammonia drop as well as my nitrites so I decided to stop.

Upvote 0

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo that's a 0 ppm reading on an api amnonia test.
You go by what the closest colour is and it's more yellow than green.
Saltwater makes it go a little hazy so I think this where all the confusion of 0.25 always reading in api tests
Best to follow test to the t and look at test with natural daylight behind you and look onto the white part of the chart.
Even looking in ambient light from a lamp/ light and in darkish room can make reading look darker than it is so best in natural light.
@MnFish1 Did some tests with api.

I know if I do a nitrate test with api I get 30-40 and if use salifert it's darker than 25 but not as dark as 50 so about same reading.
In my opinion all hobby grade test kits give similar results if used right from what I've read ( only used api and salifert myself)
Now if wanting a very low reading with api on nitrate for example may struggle as similar colours but even what alot say is best hobby grade kits ( hannah) they often differ from icp test results ive also read and read even icp not the be all and end all test so for my use of is it low medium high it's good enough but no high end corals in my tank to be paranoid over and want an exact number ( and is it even exact on the more expensive test kits as all got %errors) ^_^

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

luisruiz326

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably important to mention. Can you give more details on how you cycled the tank? What method did you use? Where are you at in the timeline of cycling? This will help us help you.
I got Ocean Water from LFS. Did Dr. Tim’s quick start. Saw that my tank stalled for a bit so I decided to go with the ghost feeding and Seachem Stability to introduce beneficial bacteria. Saw consistent ammonia and nitrites rise and drop as well as nitrates. Finally got my nitrites down from 5ppm and my ammonia from 2ppm couple days ago. Just yesterday my tank was showing all 0’s but today saw a jump in ammonia to the picture shown above.

Upvote 0
Back