What Cool Inverts for a Fish Only?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably have cleaner shrimp in my tank, as I normally do, but what other things could I put in to take advantage of a FO tank?

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chocolate Chip Stars (they normally eat coral in a reef tank) I saw this one at my LFS before it closed and if I had a FOWLR I would definitely have gotten this guy:
DSC_0035.jpg

You could get a purple reef lobster or blue spiny (although blues get big)

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, that star is awesome. I've had good luck with a blue linkia in the past, so I might try another once my new tank is established.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. :)

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely second a Chocolate Chip Star fish...everyone loves them but if you have a reef you dont have it! Also depending what fish you have you could have some ornamental Shrimp - Sexy, Coral Banded, and peppermints for any aptiasia. Also there are urchins, feather dusters, Coco Worms, etc.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always liked the Blood Red Shrimp. However, if you're getting a chocolate chip star, you might want to look into getting a Harlequin Shrimp.

CJ

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always liked the Blood Red Shrimp. However, if you're getting a chocolate chip star, you might want to look into getting a Harlequin Shrimp.

CJ

I feel like you are missing a NOT in that second sentence somewhere...unless you are looking for him to feed chocolate stars to the shrimp LOL

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like you are missing a NOT in that second sentence somewhere...unless you are looking for him to feed chocolate stars to the shrimp LOL

Funny, I was thinking the same thing, but didn't have a chance to reply yet. Mixing a harlequin and a star would be bad news :)

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people who have Harlequins feed them chocolate chip starfish. I guess it wouldn't be the best thing if you actually like the chocolate chip starfish!

CJ

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm gonna start looking around for some other stuff to put in this tank for cleanup and stuff. Would love to have a "rounded" tank with awesome fish and inverts :)

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the... I think it's called the something apple. It looks like a stumpy cucumber that filter feeds. It is usually bright red with yellow filtering arms... argh I can not remember what it is called. We used to keep one in the LFS where I worked for a while during college. Candy Apple maybe?

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, won't do one of those guys. When they die, they release toxin that will kill your tank. Won't even think about that, haha, especially with the money I'm gonna drop on rare fish :)

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you're right, I completely forgot they are one of the "nukes" of the aquarium world. I took it for granted because when I did work at the shop, he had been there for years.. and in one of the large FO tanks with quite a few rare ones at that. Guess my boss was either oblivious or liked taking risks! ;)

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they would be risky for sure, and I'm not about to wipe out a tank full of fairies and flashers for an apple :)

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some cool looking nudibranchs that might do well in a fish only system. The biggest problem would be feeding them.

CJ

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way back in my FO days, I had a black spiny sea urchin, it was one of my favorite things in the tank. Was a great algae eater and when I was low on algae I just threw in a couple pieces of the algae chips you feed plecos (freshwater) and it would hunt those out and munch them.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 148 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back