What do you do to support your reefing hobby?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone knows this is an expensive hobby and I’m wondering what everyone does for a living to support their reefing needs. I’m an electrician by trade. It’s not the most glamorous job in the world but it supports my family and I while at the same time being able to keep a reef tank, a modest low tech one at that. I guess that’s why I chose to call myself the frugal reefer.

1686244054688.jpeg
nice, a 3phase panel. what size is that main breaker? that wire looks huge for that, it must be aluminum. what state or country is this installation in?

I'm an electrical contractor, and support my hobby the same way.

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I operate skilled nursing facilities and own a start up company that sells military K9s to the public. The protection dog company doesn’t feel like much of a job though as I love working with animals. I mean training dogs to detect bombs, narcotics, attack on command, jump out of planes, and be completely socialized with people with full off leash obedience is beyond amazing. It’s quite fulfilling to provide K9s for people and schools and grant them that sense of safety and and love.

97A8EA93-00DB-4510-9437-771926612E8F.jpeg

GucciReefsExploda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone knows this is an expensive hobby and I’m wondering what everyone does for a living to support their reefing needs. I’m an electrician by trade. It’s not the most glamorous job in the world but it supports my family and I while at the same time being able to keep a reef tank, a modest low tech one at that. I guess that’s why I chose to call myself the frugal reefer.

1686244054688.jpeg
Where’s your balaclava ☺️

OP
OP
FrugalReefer

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice, a 3phase panel. what size is that main breaker? that wire looks huge for that, it must be aluminum. what state or country is this installation in?

I’m a maintenance electrician in San Diego who’s worked in construction. This is an existing panel where I work and I was running some new circuits to it.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think that google cert is useful at all? Or better just to get CompTIA A+
Get a CCNA if you can. Better than either of those. I got Network+ and some crap web management Cert that got me in the door and now my experience is more useful than any cert. All about getting that initial foot in the door.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1686244054688.jpeg
6 years of electrical construction in the healthcare division. Actually going to Orlando this week to do Mike holts boot camp and see about passing the electrical contractors license and opening my own shop… helps that my gf dad is a GC…

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What part of Florida you from? Looking to get my contractors license in the next couple months. Are you in NECA?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto body 30 years. Started as a cleanup-detailer, work my way through the shop into the front office estimating. Then went to work as an insurance adjuster. Found out I was much happier in a shop, so now back.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back