What Do You Do With Your Styrofoam Boxes?

WilyGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do with your empty boxes? I saved 2 for my car (one is larger than the other) but have several more. I absolutely hate the idea of landfilling the Styrofoam ones. The lady of the house doesn't like the stack of boxes (even in the shed) but abhors landfilling them more than I do.

I have nowhere near the quantity many of you do, but I could see going in that direction. I'd love to be able to slap the lowest shipping on them and ship them off for "store credit" of some kind and was wondering if anyone knew of such a program anywhere? My LFS has tons on shelves and under tanks so I doubt they'd offer me anything other than "not landfilling" and Lord only knows if they do it anyway. Most of the local reefers have a box and don't ship anything out so they are in a similar boat as I am.

Thanks to any and all who reply.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its panels I keep them to insulate in an emergency. The cooler types I keep for buying frags on road trips, letting smoked meats rest after cooking and shipping. Idk how I don't have a stock pile of them still

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to keep them for emergencies .
But now I’m down to having only 2 which are filled with dry rocks in the garage .

they make amazing coolers for road trips .
a case of beer , meats , etc and cover with a bag of ice .

WestCoastCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I save mine for random maintenance tasks like changing carbon in reactor, I pour the carbon into the box and saves me a mess. I also find that the smaller ones are great for dipping coral, just my preference, and of course the most obvious reason I use them is for shipping out orders lol.

OP
OP
WilyGuy

WilyGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey People! Figured I would circle back. I can't believe the vendors haven't caught on.

METHEM
I have boxes with Styrofoam inserts.
I can slap the lowest price USPS label and return the box
I get store credit!
I feel good about not landfilling!
They need boxes with Styrofoam inserts
They get boxes
They give me store credit slightly greater than the USPS
They get a return customer!

I have emailed each vendor I have bought from lately. Many are "checking" or "researching" but I figure if ALL of us replied after our orders with something similar, it would add a little pressure but really is a win-win for ALL!

Do me a favor and hit Like if you have or will do this? Maybe we can keep a list of the ones we have asked?

I recently asked Top Shelf Aquatics and Vivid Aquariums.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I think if it was financially feasible for vendors to ship boxes back they would have already provided a return label in the box with your shipments. My guess is that it's just cheaper and safer to buy new boxes in bulk and ship stuff in it than to deal with damaged, filthy, you-dont-know-whats-been-in-it boxes coming back.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save them for emergencies and to transport anything I might buy locally. Have a ton of cardboard boxes and several foam containers.

I do have a German shepherd puppy who is a professional cardboard box killer, so if I start getting to many, she gets to have a day of fun. Lol cardboard killer below. Her name is Nova

IMG_20200825_184824.jpg

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy owns a local specialty food shop and he also does a lot of online sales. He's constantly in need of styrofoam boxes for shipping perishables.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago buying and selling killifish that's what we did. After you received the fish you sent the box back to the seller.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the only way an online vendor gets on board with this is if they do it for environmental reasons(or the PR that goes with it). I cant picture a scenario where it is directly financially beneficial for them to do so.

Honestly if your concern though is about not landfilling them why ask for a store credit? Bought in bulk it probably costs a store less for one than it will cost you to ship a single one back. Maybe just ask if you send it back will they actually use it ...

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My situation is a bit different than most. I run a nonprofit food pantry that serves thousands each week. When I have the styrofoam coolers I bring them in to pack frozen/cold foods. We are in Florida and this is always a welcome thing. That being said we only take the larger ones. I have a few small ones at hand I take them on my LFS runs.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back