What does your Chaeto look like?

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had my tank up for nearly 2 years. My refugium has been incredibly hit and miss. I read posts about people needing to harvest weekly or byweekly. I think i've actually trimmed my cheato maybe twice in its life span. I started my cheato in a eggcrate box which I flip every other day. Without it the chaeto floats on the top and is only partially submerged. As far as flow goes my turn over rate is extremely high. 1.5 inch intake is completely open and there is still flow coming through the secondary intake using a herbie style overflow. I've tried putting in a powerhead but no matter where i put it in the fuge it gets clogged up in a day or two.

So a quick recap, I treated my tank with reeflux a few weeks ago and i think it completely halted a big portion of the photosynthesis in the corals and chaeto. I've stopped treatment a few days ago and added carbon to remove the medication as well as phosguard to remove the excess phosphate. Im currently sitting at 36ppm Nitrate and .07 phosphate. I've never been able to drop nitrates under 20 even with a 24/7 light cycle. Im using a Kessil A360x Refigum at about 3/4 intensity. I was using a h380 but I suspect that light was just too strong for the height i could mount it at ~ 14 inches. Current light is mounted 8 inches above.

Anywho, last night I finally saw less of a dip at night in PH. Currently the refugium is on 20 hours a day until i can get the nitrates to drop down to my "normal" levels.

Here is a photo showing what my chaeto looks like currently after a complete lighting cycle. Does this look normal? The growth looks brown and I always seem to get this floating goop that develops. It does look like good growth is happening due to the PH increases im seeing. Does this look similar to you others growing chaeto?

20211112_100108.jpg

Here are the PH swings for the week. You can see last night the drop was much less and its currently at 8.24 and the display isn't even lit yet. So clearly there is some heavy photosynthesis happening. Same light schedule, same dosing, no windows were open to explain the increase in PH other than strong photosynthesis. You can see the night before it dropped pretty heavily.

1636733302823.png

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like some die off, rinse it in a bucket with a healthy dose of h2o2 and cut till you see healthy green. Maybe up the flow.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell from your picture but that looks like alot of Chateo. I've found it much easier if after using vibrant or whatever that if your macro starts to look unhealthy to just toss it all and start over with a fresh culture.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would consider pruning the top portion and up the flow if possible :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back