What ever happened to" Dory" ??

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Many of us remember and many of us were even inspired by the known fish Dory which is under a few names. . . Regal Tang, Hepatus or hippo Tang and royal blue tang and even flagtail surgeon, - a genus of Paracanthurus. We all remember the craze- At my LFS, there was suddenly a demand for hepatus tangs and percula clownfish and I would order a dozen or more each week and got maybe two of each due to demand. I could not keep 5.5 gallon all glass tanks in stock until I realized people were going on the cheap and buying as economical as possible, a setup for the kids not properly providing for these fish- so temporarily I stopped ordering 5.5 gal tanks and had smaller but 10 gallon tank and to my benefit made a nemo and dory starter tank package with a 10 gal mix of instant ocean, under gravel filter, small power head and essentials.
One thing is for sure- They can electrify any tank with their blue colors, similar to what Blue devil damsels did for us in the early years of reefing popularity. All the merchandise, cereal, band-aids, bedding, stuffed animals, pillows and pajamas- Where have they gone?

The question now is. . . . Is Dory/hippo tangs still a thing of popularity or has it truly phased out?
How many of us have or still have Dory collectibles and what type (Post Pics) ?
Who here owns a Hippo tang and what type of tank citizen are they for you?

I have a 6" one and its still bashful after a couple of years but overall a good fish. It chases my Tomini tang occasionally.

1690206535571.png

1690206512369.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of us remember and many of us were even inspired by the known fish Dory which is under a few names. . . Regal Tang, Hepatus or hippo Tang and royal blue tang and even flagtail surgeon, - a genus of Paracanthurus. We all remember the craze- At my LFS, there was suddenly a demand for hepatus tangs and percula clownfish and I would order a dozen or more each week and got maybe two of each due to demand. I could not keep 5.5 gallon all glass tanks in stock until I realized people were going on the cheap and buying as economical as possible, a setup for the kids not properly providing for these fish- so temporarily I stopped ordering 5.5 gal tanks and had smaller but 10 gallon tank and to my benefit made a nemo and dory starter tank package with a 10 gal mix of instant ocean, under gravel filter, small power head and essentials.
One thing is for sure- They can electrify any tank with their blue colors, similar to what Blue devil damsels did for us in the early years of reefing popularity. All the merchandise, cereal, band-aids, bedding, stuffed animals, pillows and pajamas- Where have they gone?

The question now is. . . . Is Dory/hippo tangs still a thing of popularity or has it truly phased out?
How many of us have or still have Dory collectibles and what type (Post Pics) ?
Who here owns a Hippo tang and what type of tank citizen are they for you?

I have a 6" one and its still bashful after a couple of years but overall a good fish. It chases my Tomini tang occasionally.

1690206535571.png

1690206512369.png
Last time I have a Regal was about 4 years ago and that thing was nasty. My scopas was the worst of the two but his nastiness eventually went onto the regal.

But for now I have my eye on one tang and one tang only… an Achilles.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I have a Regal was about 4 years ago and that thing was nasty. My scopas was the worst of the two but his nastiness eventually went onto the regal.

But for now I have my eye on one tang and one tang only… an Achilles.
If you want true nasty, get the achillies. ;)

Daddio64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Dory, I picked up small and one of my last fish purchases for the tank. Thing 2 ( 1 of my 2 black clowns) was not happy and kept her trapped. Dory, even started having skin issues. Dory is bigger now and just brushes off the Thing 2. I always wanted Dory it's a beautiful fish. Just that they get so big, hope she gets big enough to have to be re-homed

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not dori … but I have a yellow belly blue tang .

Supposedly a little easier to keep happy . And fed. .
Not as bad of a ich magnet
A little more hardy all around is what I was told when I got it .

So far …. It’s very active and doesn’t take any crap from others

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not dori … but I have a yellow belly blue tang .

Supposedly a little easier to keep happy . And fed. .
Not as bad of a ich magnet
A little more hardy all around is what I was told when I got it .

So far …. It’s very active and doesn’t take any crap from others
Its a dory

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried them way before the Movie came out. Gave up on them, as they are Ich Magnets. I’ve had them fully Quarantined, cautious about quarantining anything that went into the tank. I swear I could got to a LFS, buy nothing. Sneeze near the Aquarium, and the Hippo Tang, would get Ich. BTW, I hate it when I hear the name, ”Dory,” at a LFS.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its one of the 3 basic must haves for a saltwater tank IMO.

Clownfish, Yellow tang, regal tang.

The hard part is keeping them for a long time without HLLE beating up their face.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its one of the 3 basic must haves for a saltwater tank IMO.

Clownfish, Yellow tang, regal tang.

The hard part is keeping them for a long time without HLLE beating up their face.
HLLE is often associated with inadequate water quality and diet. Tangs do best with a varied diet high in vitamin such as LRS Herbivore diet, Mysis shrimp, small plankton. Formula 2 flake and frozen as examples. Maintain water with reliable test kits and add selcon or vita-chem vitamins to foods occasionally

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLLE is often associated with inadequate water quality and diet. Tangs do best with a varied diet high in vitamin such as LRS Herbivore diet, Mysis shrimp, small plankton. Formula 2 flake and frozen as examples. Maintain water with reliable test kits and add selcon or vita-chem vitamins to foods occasionally

Not one bit of that is proven to do anything with HLLE. I just mention it because it is a VERY common thing to happen to regals after many years in captivity regardless of water quality, and the reason I recommend getting larger specimens when buying.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want true nasty, get the achillies. ;)
No, not just achillies, but achilles and powder blue in same tank.
I had all 3 at one point, achilles, powder blue, and powder brown. Got them all small/medium at same time. Lasted about 2 years until all 3 grew up. Man that was scary fights....

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not one bit of that is proven to do anything with HLLE. I just mention it because it is a VERY common thing to happen to regals after many years in captivity regardless of water quality, and the reason I recommend getting larger specimens when buying.
My regal 4 years old and not One hole- why is that?
Also, I stated, often caused by, not the only reason. I have 24 tangs and None have any sign of Hlle a but they get a very wide diet and I strive to maintain pristine water quality.
Carbon, stray voltage and other factors are often blamed and Vitamin c and other vitamin deficiencies are huge factors.

Here is a write-up from Jay:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back