What ever happened to" Dory" ??

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Hippo Tangs. One in my reef that I’ve had for 12+ years, and another in my FOWLR that I’ve had for 6 or 7 years.

They’re pretty fish, they’re active and if you get them healthy and QT everything, they’re pretty hardy. My reef Hippo took a liking to a Cynarina but hasn’t bothered it nor any other corals since I moved the Cynarina to another part of the tank.

My LFS gets baby Hippos on a regular basis, and I see quite a few of them in the Divers Den, so I’d say they’re still a thing in the hobby.

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She reunited with her family outside the public aquarium with some help from that houdini octopus that can drive golf carts and gets brought up every time someone mentions keeping one. Did you even watch the movie?

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Dory and Nemo

Attachments

• 20200730_135804.jpg
    20200730_135804.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 33

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I hate it when I hear the name, ”Dory,” at a LFS.
At the lfs I work at we always have clowns & blue regals in stock, and this is so annoying. 4 year olds are one thing, but when grown adults call them that, it gets on my nerves so much.

mdanchqst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very you 2.5" Dory that I've had in my tank for two months now. Typical ich magnet and very high stress. After the first 4 weeks he was covered in ich spots. I took him out, put him in qt and treated him with copper for 3 weeks. He got healthy and then went back in the display. He's continuing to stay healthy now for the last two weeks and I hope i don't have to catch him again. They are beautiful fish that add a lot of color and action to the tank, but they aren't the easiest fish to keep that many Disney movie watchers think they are.

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my current Hippo for at least 6-7 years and he's about 6". I've always had one in every salt tank I've had (way before Finding Nemo), as they are my favorite fish (love them!). For well over the last decade, I've quarantined every fish, so no ich issues and every Hippo I've had over the years has been a model citizen and very hardy. My DT just wouldn't be the same without one!

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines been with me since 2017ish and I got it from another local reefer in a livestock trade. A bit skittish but a voracious eater and gets along well with the other denizens of the tank.

MicrosoftTeams-image (10).jpg

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a yellow belly dory for a couple years until my purple tang drove it to a suicide jump. I've kept yellow, purple, powder blue and yellow belly. Pretty sure my 200g will now only allow for just my purple beast. I did try another powder blue and he almost killed it. In a 32g hospital tank it ended up getting velvet and dying anyway.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They must be a little less in demand. Blue Zoo Aquatics gave me a 2" one for free with my last order. It did well in QT and is swimming (and growing very fast) happily with my other tangs and wrasses
I think part of it is that it's harder to find a decent sized one. Everyone I have seen has tankful's of the little quarter sized ones which would be fish food in my tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back