What ever happened to the Vertex Cerebra?

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for everyone. What if Vertex were able to buy back most of the units thru a second party. Probably for less than the purchase price in some cases. Would they then be able to walk away from the whole thing? I’m just asking a question I’m not Accusing anyone of anything, it’s just a thought that crossed my mind.
Vertex won’t refund and they have already been asked. Tobe is the second party that is buying up people’s Cerebra at a discounted price. If Vertex does eventually produce a worker by controller then Tobe will be able to trade in all his controllers for new ones and sell them hopefully for a profit.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tobe started a Facebook group a long time ago in the event Vertex shut down their forum. It’s interesting how things have changed. Tobe has purchased many Cerebra units from people calling it quits with this debacle. Tobe has turned into the biggest cheerleader for Vertex and now he is going to be a moderator. I didn’t send in for replacement because I was in disbelief Vertex would ship the first week of May as they stated. Would be nice if Vertex would just be honest.

If you sunk as much money into it as he did, you'd be cheering for them too! :)

The optimistic part of me thinks that the forum shutting down is so they can replace it with the Cerebra Cloud they've been developing. Remembering back to the cloud beta we participated in, there was messaging and forum capabilities built into the cloud that was mocked up and not yet functional.

If they're close to releasing and the software is ready, it makes sense to migrate over there.

Why they wouldn't come out and tell us this has me scratching my head though.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tobe started a Facebook group a long time ago in the event Vertex shut down their forum. It’s interesting how things have changed. Tobe has purchased many Cerebra units from people calling it quits with this debacle. Tobe has turned into the biggest cheerleader for Vertex and now he is going to be a moderator. I didn’t send in for replacement because I was in disbelief Vertex would ship the first week of May as they stated. Would be nice if Vertex would just be honest.

The optimistic part of me thinks that the forum shutting down is so they can replace it with the Cerebra Cloud they've been developing. Remembering back to the cloud beta we participated in, there was messaging and forum capabilities built into the cloud that was mocked up and not yet functional.

If they're close to releasing and the software is ready, it makes sense to migrate over there.

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it go! let it goooooo!

;)

Hahhaha!

Are you still wanting a unit? If so, I get being upset and wanting to vent, but what I don’t get is people that are eager to get a unit but then their actions of constantly complaining and bashing Vertex ultimately will drive others away from purchasing one and without a large user base then this thing will die on the vine no matter how good the finished project is. How do we have ongoing support and development and integration with new equipment (like the Xepta aBex, that I heard they were working with to be able to work with the Cerebra) without lots of owners of the unit?

If it’s just sour grapes then that’s just kind of pathetic after a point don’t you think? No offense meant, but think about it. If you hate it that bad I’ve offered to buy units still for what people paid.

And then there are people like First Contact that lead the charge to undermine his own supposed goal of a successful controller. Using screen grabs of my posts and others from the private Beta Forum and then not putting it in context or including my replies that would put it in a more balanced light.

And to cap it off, when I offer to buy his unit he tells me he wants $800 for it?
I just don’t get the goal. I’ve doubled down and bought units to help support what I hope is ultimately a success and if I’m lucky get my money back out of my investment and maybe even profit a bit and usher new users into the community (for prices below retail) thereby infusing the community with more users that theoretically will increase the likelihood of a long term top notch controller company and all that entails.

My dad told me when I was very young, “you can be part of the solution or part of the problem”. What good is the complaining and bashing for you or anyone?

And believe me, I’m as frustrated as anyone (times 25, as that’s how many beta units I own) but I know it’s coming and I’d rather have it be late and right than rushed to appease all of us (me included at times) that are griping about it.

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is the lies from Vertex. There have been many! It would be better to be told the truth and not intentionally mislead. They were so close a couple years ago if you recall. All That was left was to seal them up. Now they are sealed and they go back to testing? Why even say they are shipping first week of May, get shipping labels then cancel it. I think we deserve the truth but Vertex won’t answer pertinent questions.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is the lies from Vertex. There have been many! It would be better to be told the truth and not intentionally mislead. They were so close a couple years ago if you recall. All That was left was to seal them up. Now they are sealed and they go back to testing? Why even say they are shipping first week of May, get shipping labels then cancel it. I think we deserve the truth but Vertex won’t answer pertinent questions.

This is exactly the problem. The lies and lack of communication is what is causing all the (warranted) complaining.

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

;)

Hahhaha!

Are you still wanting a unit? If so, I get being upset and wanting to vent, but what I don’t get is people that are eager to get a unit but then their actions of constantly complaining and bashing Vertex ultimately will drive others away from purchasing one and without a large user base then this thing will die on the vine no matter how good the finished project is. How do we have ongoing support and development and integration with new equipment (like the Xepta aBex, that I heard they were working with to be able to work with the Cerebra) without lots of owners of the unit?

If it’s just sour grapes then that’s just kind of pathetic after a point don’t you think? No offense meant, but think about it. If you hate it that bad I’ve offered to buy units still for what people paid.

And then there are people like First Contact that lead the charge to undermine his own supposed goal of a successful controller. Using screen grabs of my posts and others from the private Beta Forum and then not putting it in context or including my replies that would put it in a more balanced light.

And to cap it off, when I offer to buy his unit he tells me he wants $800 for it?
I just don’t get the goal. I’ve doubled down and bought units to help support what I hope is ultimately a success and if I’m lucky get my money back out of my investment and maybe even profit a bit and usher new users into the community (for prices below retail) thereby infusing the community with more users that theoretically will increase the likelihood of a long term top notch controller company and all that entails.

My dad told me when I was very young, “you can be part of the solution or part of the problem”. What good is the complaining and bashing for you or anyone?

And believe me, I’m as frustrated as anyone (times 25, as that’s how many beta units I own) but I know it’s coming and I’d rather have it be late and right than rushed to appease all of us (me included at times) that are griping about it.
Hey Tobe,

$800 is about what I have in my unit. If you want to buy it for exactly what I paid for it feel free. But don’t advertise that your willing to pay me every cent I put into it, make me whole again, and then not buy it. It’s yours, send me the money. The unit, extra power bar, probes, and the money it cost me to send my unit back via UPS to Vertex because it wasn’t wired to the advertised specs. Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Or are you just lying like Jason? Show me the money!

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

;)

Hahhaha!

Hey Tobe,

$800 is about what I have in my unit. If you want to buy it for exactly what I paid for it feel free. But don’t advertise that you’re willing to pay me every cent I put into it, make me whole again, and then not buy it. It’s yours, send me the money! The unit, extra power bar, probes, and the money it cost me to send my unit back via UPS to Vertex because it wasn’t wired to the advertised specs. Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Or are you just lying like Jason? Show me the money!

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve doubled down and bought units to help support what I hope is ultimately a success and if I’m lucky get my money back out of my investment and maybe even profit a bit.
but I know it’s coming

Sorry, thought I was watching the theranos documentary...

It’s a fundamental question of corporate integrity. This forum postulates that vertex is lacking in it, provides evidence. Other users make arguments in favor of vertex, share their evidence. The good of complaining comes when the reefing community makes an informed decision. It’s a world of small companies serving a niche hobby, and those which treat the community well will get business and those which do not will go out of business.

In keeping with the integrity comment, overhyping a products does not kill a company’s reputation alone. Cancelled shipping labels, inconsistent explanations, warranties which are not honored, shutdown customer service forums, and shady accounts on third party sites... these things are killers.

My own experience has led me to conclude I will never own a vertex product again. I provided screenshots to help inform.

I must say, @Tobe71, owning 25 beta controllers which retailed at something like $400 seems on face to be one of two things:
1) speculation, hoping the price goes up
2) insider knowledge or a financial interest in the company, both of which should be disclosed

The notion that you have sunk ~10k into 25 used controllers to “support the community” but don’t have a relevant financial interest in the product’s success is fishy. Maybe the users who are screenshotting you “out of context” would feel better if you provided some context into what you are doing with the units - parting some out, repairing, tinkering, buying with intent to resell. Maybe you have 25 tanks?You know, share for integrity sake.

I’ll apologize in advance if you’ve got an awesome 25 tank fish room mega build thread I can sink a day into reading! Heck I’ll even apologize in advance on the off chance you’re just an electronics guy with a hankering for vintage 2016 silicone chips...

But the idea that you’ve bought 25 units to be a part of the solution... just stop?

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tobe,

$800 is about what I have in my unit. If you want to buy it for exactly what I paid for it feel free. But don’t advertise that you’re willing to pay me every cent I put into it, make me whole again, and then not buy it. It’s yours, send me the money! The unit, extra power bar, probes, and the money it cost me to send my unit back via UPS to Vertex because it wasn’t wired to the advertised specs. Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Or are you just lying like Jason? Show me the money!
#1 You never mentioned an extra power bar, so that would bring your cost up to $550ish. And having paid for shipping on many of the 25 I bought that would be a max of $40 which you didn’t mention either.
Out of the 6 I bought with extra power bars, no one had more than $650
in it. You must have lots of probes and paid for some white glove delivery service. Ha!

Send me pics of your receipts and along with a PayPal invoice. PM me for my email
Address. Do that and I’ll just make it an even grand so you can take the extra $200 to buy some lessons is etiquette and communication. Calling people liars is pretty juvenile... I typically try not to say things I can’t prove. Tends to make one look like an .....

I’ll keep an eye out for the PM.

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, thought I was watching the theranos documentary...

It’s a fundamental question of corporate integrity. This forum postulates that vertex is lacking in it, provides evidence. Other users make arguments in favor of vertex, share their evidence. The good of complaining comes when the reefing community makes an informed decision. It’s a world of small companies serving a niche hobby, and those which treat the community well will get business and those which do not will go out of business.

In keeping with the integrity comment, overhyping a products does not kill a company’s reputation alone. Cancelled shipping labels, inconsistent explanations, warranties which are not honored, shutdown customer service forums, and shady accounts on third party sites... these things are killers.

My own experience has led me to conclude I will never own a vertex product again. I provided screenshots to help inform.

I must say, @Tobe71, owning 25 beta controllers which retailed at something like $400 seems on face to be one of two things:
1) speculation, hoping the price goes up
2) insider knowledge or a financial interest in the company, both of which should be disclosed

The notion that you have sunk ~10k into 25 used controllers to “support the community” but don’t have a relevant financial interest in the product’s success is fishy. Maybe the users who are screenshotting you “out of context” would feel better if you provided some context into what you are doing with the units - parting some out, repairing, tinkering, buying with intent to resell. Maybe you have 25 tanks?You know, share for integrity sake.

I’ll apologize in advance if you’ve got an awesome 25 tank fish room mega build thread I can sink a day into reading! Heck I’ll even apologize in advance on the off chance you’re just an electronics guy with a hankering for vintage 2016 silicone chips...

But the idea that you’ve bought 25 units to be a part of the solution... just stop?

Did you seriously just compare me to someone that bilked people of hundreds of millions of dollars and who’s actions literally cost people their lives?

I believe you just got the honor of keyboard warrior of the year.

I want the company to succeed because I want a controller that will do what they are claiming it will.

People were disgruntled and selling out. Buying them was a win win. It weeded out those that would drain resources from a company that already bit off more than they expected and potentially give me an opportunity to turn a profit. I had faith they would come through and took a calculated risk. Crucify me. Your assumption that the only motive that makes sense is profit and possibly even involving unethical behavior is interesting. Interesting perspective.

And any “hype” from me was a reflection of the excitement I heard from any vertex member I ever spoke to. And these same members were as dejected as they’d been excited when trouble arose. THEY HAVE BEEN LEARNING AS THEY’VE GONE. Is this so implausible? More implausible than some Machiavellian scheme to defraud 600 people over the course of 3 years? Pretty sure that would be the longest grift in history.

And if I’ve said it once I’ve said it a million times, Vertex could have been more transparent.

What’s funny is the vast majority that had been vocal critics (me included) have chilled out or sold out. It’s pretty obvious units are in the works and will eventually be shipped. And hopefully they will be all they promised. But a few diehards I think just get off on the attention of being a firebrand.
Thus my efforts to buy these types out. They aren’t helping anyone including themselves and next thing you know, people like you are chiming in.
Do you even own a unit? And can you really not see why I have done what I’ve done? Maybe that level of risk is crazy to you, but believe me I’m calculating. And I’m not one to sell my soul for a dollar. But thanks for that jab too.
And did it ever dawn on you that at a certain level of exposure that legal action isn’t really an option...

And for the record I have no insider knowledge beyond what anyone could get from actually communicating with the company you love to hate.

Congrats FC, you got someone else to take some shots at me and Jason. Hope that makes you feel better.

Send me your receipts and PM
me for my email address so you can send an invoice. Or are you bluffing? What would you do if you didn’t have Vertex and Jason and now me bash?

The bummer is you’re driving up my cost average so the discount off of retail I was going to offer R2R members will take a hit...

But you win, so congrats!

Oh, and Smarkow, I sold the aluminum housings for scrap and got about $19 and gave away a couple screens to a friend that may use them for a gaming thing he’s working on I think and the rest are in my garage because it felt wasteful to just throw them away. I sent back all my boards as instructed by Vertex and I’m awaiting my replacement units.

Does Reef 2 Reef even have moderators?

This is ridiculous.

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I didn’t ask to be a moderator. And quite frankly I’m
So over all the juvenile BS I think I’m taking a break from the whole scene. Good luck to all the bullies and bores. What a joke.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were still working in the legal department I'd probably push some paperwork through on possibilities of a class action. This is ridiculous people are STILL hanging on after all this time.
Anyone here want to buy oceanfront property in Montana or perhaps someone will want to buy a bridge from me??
@Tobe71 I'll give ya a super good deal and you can resell later on......

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe there is no class action lawsuit. From what I hear they took at least $400 from people, then flat out gave false promises again and again, which are documented via the forums, for several years? I have to think a judge or jury would think that amount of time and particularly the false promises crossed the line at some point from the reasonable expectations of a beta product. Even for giving people compensation for the loss of use of funds. (aka at minimum interest on that money for how many years it was held).

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem with a calcium reactor (which i bought open box) as smarac did. vertex ofered me a new pump right away no charge even though brs had already compensated me. it took a week or two to figure out what the real problem was and vertex was nothing but helpful and on the spot. i have several vertex products and there all top shelf, except for the ceribra. Wich beta or not was new, unproven and third party. And still the people at vertex say be patient and we'll make it right. Good enough for me.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works for me..

We need to do it as a group message on the forum so they can transfer ownership as well. I’ll message soon. Just landed and I have 3 hours till my next flight. Trying to keep my Jason Fox haul warm.
Scrapping old celebras for home wreckers I figured out ur master plan

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Reef 2 Reef even have moderators?
This is ridiculous.
Yes, we have been monitoring this thread and so far there has been nothing that violates the terms of service. I take this opportunity to remind everyone that they should remain polite, refrain from personal attacks and stay on topic.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem with a calcium reactor (which i bought open box) as smarac did. vertex ofered me a new pump right away no charge even though brs had already compensated me. it took a week or two to figure out what the real problem was and vertex was nothing but helpful and on the spot. i have several vertex products and there all top shelf, except for the ceribra. Wich beta or not was new, unproven and third party. And still the people at vertex say be patient and we'll make it right. Good enough for me.
Glad to hear you had a better result. What you are describing is certainly more in keeping with their reputation than my overall experience was. It's worth restating that they were extremely courteous, etc... just could not/did not fix for me. I'm a results based person. Don't tell me you care, show it with your actions. Same with theme of this forum - don't hype your product to me, SELL IT.

bkelley02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to remain optimistic about the controller and i am schedule to get mine as part of the first batch. I think its great to have all these extras and fancy features that we really don't know anything about yet but if this is as easy to update as claimed, and the hardware is set, release it with the basics while the rest is being sorted. Show that this version can actually handle the basics and control and monitor temp, ph, and lighting so people can get a taste of the system and build some confidence in this product.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back