What few fish should I get next?

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

My first ever reef tank; a 55 gallon is coming along nicely (<-- Build thread link under my avatar), I am just about out of room for more corals, but I see a few areas where I can add more fish, but I just don't know what else to get. I was on the freshwater side for 20 years and this is my first reef tank. I am having a TON of fun, way more rewarding than any of the freshwater tanks I ever did.

5E7u0wA.jpg

Looking for any fish recommendations with a few caveats:

- Reef compatible (I have LPS and softies - Kenya tree, Elegance, Hammer Coral, Frogspawn, Hairy mushroom, Torch etc)
- Easily obtainable from an LFS. A halo fish that would be perfect but is impossible to actually get wouldn't make the cut
- Reasonably priced. I'm not shy of fish prices, I can stomach anything up to and around $100. Again a perfect fish that is $500 also wouldn't make the cut.
- Colorful
- Active (not shy) - I don't want an awesome fish that I will never see.
- "Community fish" - My current stocking is 100% drama free, I don't want a bully that will come in and disturb that.
- Readily accepts flake/pellets. ( I travel a lot for work and lean on a auto feeder while I'm gone.)

Here is my current fish stocking:
1x Absolute Zero Clown
1x Snowflake Clown
1x Fire fish
1x Royal Gramma Dottyback
1x One Spot Foxface (juvenile)
1x Lawnmower Blenny
15x hermet crabs
2x peppermint shrimp
1x cleaner shrimp
1x Scopas Tang (juvenile)
1x Diamond Watchman Goby
1x Hi Fin Red Banded Goby

Anyway, any recommendations would be awesome!

Thanks guys

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d add a Midas blenny, super fun fish! Banggai/banner cardinal is a peaceful and interesting choice as well. Both are peaceful. Good luck!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, Royal Gramma Dottyback, the purple fades to yellow, not a harsh line separating the colors.
That's good news. FYI, there isn't such a thing as a royal gramma dottyback. It's either a royal gramma, or it's a dottyback.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think an overlooked, readily available fish is the bicolored goatfish. Has little yellow barbels that constantly sweep the substrate. Will feed itself on detritivours in your sand bed, so no concerns re frequent absences.

Here is mine:
image.jpg

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking for something that stays close to the bottom, middle, top? Where do you need to see more movement? Constant swimmer, perching, etc.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fox Face needs to be rehomed. Long term will need at least a 110-120 gallon. Even the One Spot gets to 8”. Scopas too.

x2 Ocellaris Clownfish
x1 Royal Gramma (it’s not a Dottyback)
x1 Red Fire Fish
x1 Lawnmower Blenny

I’d add a shrimp and goby pair, and for your final fish a Pink Streak / Possum / small Halichoeres / Fairy or Flasher Wrasse, or if you’re willing to take some risk with corals a Cherub or Flameback Angel.

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 18 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 67 76.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back