What first food should I buy?

roansdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to buy my first two fish which are a clown goby and a tailspot blenny. What food should I purchase befor hand?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen mysis is one of the 'better' choices for a staple of the diet, but providing as much variety as possible to better round out the diet is best.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And also add a little LRF or Rods to the mix and you have a winner;)

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything but flake or pellets. These foods are highly processed and have had most of the beneficial oils removed from them. They also contain preservatives. All of this put together can be harmful to fish.

RunBikeSwim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, for pellets, Marine-s by Hikari. My blenny, gobies, and clownfish like it. Have tried other pellets (NLS, ON, etc.), they usually go for the marine-s.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything but flake or pellets. These foods are highly processed and have had most of the beneficial oils removed from them. They also contain preservatives. All of this put together can be harmful to fish.
Not harmful, just not as beneficial.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to always make my own. On a whim I picked up some LRF reef frenzy and I dont think i can look back from that. Some seriously high quality stuff. My fish are fat and super colorful. My kole is getting a bunch of yellow in its tail i have never seen.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to always make my own. On a whim I picked up some LRF reef frenzy and I dont think i can look back from that. Some seriously high quality stuff. My fish are fat and super colorful. My kole is getting a bunch of yellow in its tail i have never seen.
Would this be suitable for a barnacle blenny? I want to know what he will find yummy.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My baby clown goby and baby clown fish go wild over Nutramar Ova. I make a mixture every night to feed them plus 4 juvenile clowns, a starry blenny, black capped jawfish, Melanarus and a watchman goby with his pistol shrimp buddy. I mix mysis, the nutramar, krill and a sliver of whatever cube from the seafood variety pack. If I had to pick one, I'd go with the mysis. HTH

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty informative. I would agree to stay away from flakes and pellets unless you have a good reason such as being on travel and having no choice but to use an auto feeder. Also, consider soaking food in selcon.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are LRF and Rods? I'd like to vary diet also.

LRS (Larry's Reef Services) and Rod's Food are both sponsors here on Reef2Reef. Both companies produce smaller-batch flat-packs of frozen food using high quality blends of things fish like to eat, sourced fresh. If you find either one ... get it. Your fish will thank you.

~Bruce

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back