What fish are hardy?

Daniel225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m now practicing ich management in my display after attempts to fallow & QT have failed me I’m wanting to source some more Fish however I know that some fish are more sensitive to Ich than others what would be recommended in my case?

tanks a 4ft wide 500L with live rock (wanting to add more corals in the coming months)

my current logic is to build up my CUC with plans to add another cleaner shrimp, fireshrimp, a sand sifting star & and a load to crabs and snails ( I feed heavy to ensure no stress and plenty of foot for everyone) so food won’t be too much of a issue for overstocking also my reason behind it inverts cant get ich

with the large number of CUC I want it to draw the attention away from fish more however I have in the tank:

pair of clowns , foxface , coral beauty & cleaner wrasse With plans to add 2 more medium sized fish and add no more to not cause stress

im running a UV rated for a 650L with 0.5 turnover for killing also every week I do a 10% WWC I also have poly labs medic (depending where you stand on this products effectiveness for Ich) for any small flare up I may have & I have my QT tank I can individually treat/isolate individual fish with cuppramine / bacterical & fluke and worm Should it be a severe case the fish can’t solve on its own

plenty of verity of foods algae flakes, mixed flakes , algae pellets , 4 verity’s of frozen (always feeding mysis with garlic daily) & algae sheets

please let me know your recommendations for some really hardy peaceful reefsafe fish

these won’t be bought from a LFS I have plenty of people local to me stripping down tanks and rehoming a verity of fish that are fat and healthy which I think will only ease stress in acclimating and ensure better survival overall

any questions just ask thanks for everyone’s help who comments ☺️

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsel family striking colours.Easy to keep. Hardy fish . Now the down side some are very aggressive as they get older some are less aggressive it all depends what you want to keep. But really your looking for a peaceful reef and the fish get along with each other

OP
OP
Daniel225

Daniel225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsel family striking colours.Easy to keep. Hardy fish . Now the down side some are very aggressive as they get older some are less aggressive it all depends what you want to keep. But really your looking for a peaceful reef and the fish get along with each other
The dreaded damsel name I’ve wanted shoaling fish for ages but I’ve tried chromis…. 3 times with a group of 6 chromis but they always want to bully the weaker ones until only 1 is left maybe I first overlooked damsels as I always had my pair of clowns and have read they will also try to bully them although a good sized nem should keep them safe and comfortable what type of damsels do you recommend as most peaceful I would happily keep a school of 10 or so damsels as this would probably stock the tank out nicely when it’s full of corals

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My banggai cardinal and firefish have both survived disease in my tank.

I also do ich management and I’ve never seen any spots on the banggai cardinal, and rarely on the firefish, if ever.

I do pretty much what you do for management. Right now my UV is out of commission and I’m waiting for a tank upgrade so there won’t be any UV until then. I used Polyp Lab Reef medic for 10 days to clear ich on my one spot foxface and hoping everything stays good until the upgrade.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My banggai cardinal and firefish have both survived disease in my tank.

I also do ich management and I’ve never seen any spots on the banggai cardinal, and rarely on the firefish, if ever.

I do pretty much what you do for management. Right now my UV is out of commission and I’m waiting for a tank upgrade so there won’t be any UV until then. I used Polyp Lab Reef medic for 10 days to clear ich on my one spot foxface and hoping everything stays good until then.
I'll second with firefish. They are some hardy fish you can have and aren't expensive either

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above mentioned cardinals are a great group of fish and stated as peaceful. With the damsels most are semi aggressive to Aggressive territorial. Talbots damsel are known as peaceful.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are interested in Damsels, there are a bunch to choose from you just need to be sure you are picking the right ones. Starkii, Kupang, Springeri, Stegassi, Roland's, Talbots, and Surge are all good community fish.

Ich is a really weird issue. I've been keeping tanks for decades. And certain fish have ich. My culprits have always been the Acanthurus Tangs - Powder Blue & Achilles. These fish are never ich free in my experience. They may look great for a week and then the spots appear. And then they go away, and then they are back - No rhyme or reason. But I keep a heavilty populated tanks and my Achilles and Powder Blues have lived for up to 10 years with this pattern and never had any effect on the other fish in the tank. And I keep every kind of fish under the rainbow.

In my current 750 I have an Achilles that I have had since January - And it sometimes has ich. But there are 150 other fish in the tank that have never shown a spot on them. And that includes Zebrasoma, Hippos, Angels, Damsels, Pseudchromis, Gobies, Blennies... everything community related.

If you keep the fish eating well then the ich is really irrelevant to everything except the photo beauty of the particular fish. You just don't want a pic of a salt speckled achillies to share on your feed.

Dave B

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provided you have pods in there (and with live rock and corals you should….) a Mandarin Dragonet is very hardy and very low maintenance. Their coat of toxic slime protects them against ich and discourages tankmate agression, and at the same time they tend to rarely bother other fish, instead contenting themselves to hover around chomping down pods all day long.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back