What fish should i get for cycling saltwater

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, that post is specifically talking about bacterial additives. He even references a thread about bacterial additives.

This all stems from you guys jumping all over a post that literally says "there are no examples of a failed bottle bac cycle in reefing. that is a very very very hard bit of data for old school cycling proponents to digest, they'd rather shoot the messenger."

You're tilting at windmills here.
When did I jump him for saying that? He makes claims and says everyone is 100% wrong. He was asked for proof of this and posts anecdotal evidence while saying anecdotal evidence is useless. He may be right. He may be wrong. Who knows. Somewhere there is scientific evidence that he says supports everything he says but does not provide it. He is full of whataboutisms and does not argue in good faith.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did I jump him for saying that? He makes claims and says everyone is 100% wrong. He was asked for proof of this and posts anecdotal evidence while saying anecdotal evidence is useless. He may be right. He may be wrong. Who knows. Somewhere there is scientific evidence that he says supports everything he says but does not provide it. He is full of whataboutisms and does not argue in good faith.
Again, he is not making the claims you think he is, and you keep saying he is.

You don't get to talk about people arguing in good faith when you keep misquoting and misattributing people. He's unclear - but he's arguing in good faith.

So I will ask again - please post a quote of him making the claim that high ammonia doesn't harm fish. Bold the sentence. And note, "High ammonia doesn't harm fish" and "this doesn't harm fish because there's very little ammonia" are very different claims.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A handy way to know if anyone is wrong is to check their work threads and see if revolts or wins are happening.

can someone really honestly get lucky for forty pages on a cycling thread that doesn't even use testing?

I don't take time to detail anecdote vs peer published reviews because peer reviews aren't making work threads using other people's tanks over and over to establish patterns.

I can sense in most cycling arguments that conflict is prominent: some readers only value something that comes from a university study

hey can someone link me to a university study where they tested to see if all forms of reef tank cycling are completed by day ten? that's what we've been testing for 40 pages on the prior example. I would really really truly enjoy seeing what a formal study has to say about the matter.

I'm of the opinion that no reef tank cycle is taking past 10 days since we have 100% safety rate after stocking reefs up on day ten or after. the worst-case scenario madness is all resolved naturally by day ten, thats the hypothesis currently being tested using other people's cash and animals where they'll drum me out of town the first time a system is killed.

*day ten is also the 50+ year known drop date for ammonia control, on any cycling chart we all cut teeth on but are also so quick to dismiss nowadays. It's accurate to say we have a lot of logged data on what happens if folks simply wait till day ten and add life, not testing for anything beforehand. testless reef tank cycling is working better for the masses than API cycling...per my logged results.

That thread is also three years old

at the time I started it, the crowds demanded 30 days wait lol so 10 was all cavalier

and now that three more years of seneye data is online for all here to see themselves: 10 days becomes one day lol

Moore's law: for computing speeds: also happens in reef cycling lol. amazing.

ammonia control issues are the biggest lark we've ever been sold.

disease preps are where it's at.

it also took the same gatekeepers in 2001 about eight years to accept the fact that pico reefs were real and not some insult to their allelopathic warnings or a photoshop trick; this is always how change goes down. slow and painfully then it sticks for good.

Last edited:

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all stems from you guys jumping all over a post that literally says "there are no examples of a failed bottle bac cycle in reefing. that is a very very very hard bit of data for old school cycling proponents to digest, they'd rather shoot the messenger."
I must admit that I don't see the posts you guys are arguing about anymore so I can't say if anyone is right or wrong. However... Cycling is a simple process. It doesn't "fail". It does take way longer using some methods as compared to others. Simply adding fish is the slowest method. Adding a lot of live rock and live sand is the fastest. Using bottled bacteria, adding ammonia, etc. is somewhere in between.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions and tushies. Everyone has one and they all stink. :)

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must admit that I don't see the posts you guys are arguing about anymore so I can't say if anyone is right or wrong. However... Cycling is a simple process. It doesn't "fail". It does take way longer using some methods as compared to others. Simply adding fish is the slowest method. Adding a lot of live rock and live sand is the fastest. Using bottled bacteria, adding ammonia, etc. is somewhere in between.
The posts we're arguing about are basically Brandon saying "Fish in cycling with bottled bacteria is fine" and a bunch of people responding with "Nuh, Uh, fish in cycling without bottled bacteria is cruel".

Its a bunch of people who don't read carefully losing their cool over something that nobody is actually saying.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread really doesn’t matter now. The OP joined ask question and people replied. Then the thread went downhill from there. The O P has never responded back. Probably more confused then before the question was ask.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread really doesn’t matter now. The OP joined ask question and people replied. Then the thread went downhill from there. The O P has never responded back. Probably more confused then before the question was ask.
OP hasnt been back on since.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled my 1st sw aquarium over night. 24hrs not knowing about cycles ect.
Back in 09' or 08'. Had my 1st real career job and $ to blow. Not knowing anything about aquariums I started looking into them.
Bam sw aquarium sounded kool.
YouTube was fairly new or to me at least. Watched a guy stir a 5g bucket with his arm and a float swing arm hydrometer to test the salinity.
Well I went to pestsmart and got the 36g bowfront with a stand. A heater. Thermometer.
Swing arm hydrometer ect. Salt. Sand.
I think it was a week later, if that and I went and got hermit crabs and some snails and 3 or 4 chromis.
Those fish did indeed cycle the tank and I was left with a hermit crab eating the dead ones that didn't make it though the cycle.
It was just me not knowing.
I hard cycled the tank in 24hrs.
You can ease the cycle and soften it with water changes.
I've seen graphs ln cycling aquariums and the ups and downs over a 90day period. No aquarium cycles the same or in the same amount of time.
This is my opinion and exp of course. To each their own. What's everyone arguing about anyways? Dosent look like reading back is even worth my time. Carry on.
D

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It appears that this thread has run its course and has been closed for now. We will continue to review the material in the thread and may make appropriate edits to align with the terms of service. you are welcome to reach out to me directly with questions or for further clarification.

~Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 52 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 19.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back