Status
Not open for further replies.

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What affordable best fish should I get for cycling
Live rock, sand, turbo start. That’ll do the trick for you in no time. Throw a tad bit of frozen food in there as well to get ammonia going OR get liquid ammonia (not too experienced with that, never tried it myself). Fish after ammonia hits zero!

someone correct me if I’m wrong but that’s how I did mine and it’s going great.

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's already been said twice, but third time's the charm as they say. Don't use a fish. There are faster methods that don't require a fish to breath acid for a couple of weeks straight.

If you're going with dry rock (anything that didn't come out of the ocean, another hobbyists tank, or arrived to you bone dry is dry rock), get some live sand and some dr. Tim's ammonium chloride and you should have your tank cycled in a couple of weeks at most. If you didn't opt for live rock or sand grab dr. Tim's ammonium chloride and dr. Tims one and only and you should get about the same results.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled my first tank (45gal) with a fish and I would not recommend it. It was too stressful for me because I was so paranoid of the fish's well-being I found myself obsessively observing the Seachem Ammonia badge for any color other than yellow. Luckily I never had an issue with an ammonia spike. I used dry rock and sand and dumped a bottle of Fritz TurboStart 900 with a piece of raw shrimp 24 hours before introducing my first fish (a black molly).

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be cruel ,don't use live fish for cycling. Buy a bottle of bacteria, and wait for the tank to cycle, then add 1 or 2 small fish, then wait a couple of weeks and buy another 1 or 2, and continue slowly like that. Rushing will kill fish.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R,

like others have mentioned already you don’t need to use live fish to cycle your tank. Over the years as the hobby progress we found better ways to kick start a cycle that didn’t need to harm the fish.
I like to start with either a seed from an established tank like a cup of sand or a some live rock. Then I ghost feed the tank like I’m feeding the fish but without the fish.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each response on this topis is incorrect, I mean literally 100% of them.

not that you should start with a fish, but ammonia burning isn't in play. that's fear made up; relayed among non seneye owners.

I realize everyone cares about fish but you're relaying to him a risk that has no data

let me ask it this way: which forum on this site has the most fish death

is it in the new tanks forum, where they're all cycling? is it in the disease forum?

can anyone here find a cycling tank example for a reef display where the fish were not carried and acted just fine when added with bottle bac?

old cycling science allows us to make up things that no seneye owner has ever reported, free ammonia burning a fish when bottle bac is used

anyone who watches seneye + bottle bac study threads see ammonia burning is never in play, for anyone. by continuing on cycling lore that is untrue, we kill more fish by never directing a new tanker to the sole forum on this site that shows how to disease prep a tank. aim the concern correctly: nobody has burned a fish with ammonia during cycling. they die eight months later of crypto no matter how you cycle-if you skip preps.

nearly all entrants in the disease help forum properly cycled their tank with ammonia and no fish.

Last edited:

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

not that you shold start with a fish, but ammonia burning isn't in play. that's fear made up; relayed among non seneye owners.

I realize everyone cares about fish but you're relaying to him a risk that has no data

is it in the new tanks forum, where they're all cycling?
BS

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets see you give one link

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you haven't seen anything from digital measure to back the challenge, you only read what others write on the matter. your entire post history has zero work with reef tank cycling in other people's reefs, I checked.

show a calibrated seneye thread where ammonia was not controlled in a reef display cycle with fish. show one.

your quick response above doesn't come from any study, it's how we get the bad info circulating around the web.

one link, just one.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

not that you shold start with a fish, but ammonia burning isn't in play. that's fear made up; relayed among non seneye owners.

is it in the new tanks forum, where they're all cycling? is it in the disease forum?

can anyone here find a cycling tank example for a reef display where the fish were not carried and acted just fine when added with bottle bac?

old cycling science allows us to make up things that no seneye owner has ever reported, free ammonia burning a fish when bottle bac is used

anyone who watches seneye + bottle bac study threads see ammonia burning is never in play, for anyone. by continuing on cycling lore that is untrue, we kill more fish by never directing a new tanker to the sole forum on this site that shows how to disease prep a tank. aim the concern correctly: nobody has burned a fish with ammonia during cycling. they die eight months later of crypto no matter how you cycle-if you skip preps.

nearly all entrants in the disease help forum properly cycled their tank with ammonia and no fish.
Ok. I'll bite but only to play advocate. Just to be clear, I 100% disagree with almost every word you posted.

My question to you is this: so your premise to understanding true cycling, ammonia burn, and advanced fish disease is ownership of a calibrated seneye?

To the OP: what others have said. There are better ways to cycle without a fish. You've got the answer you needed. Good luck and welcome to R2R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back