What has happened to The reef hobby

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what country you are on but that's expensive gas too. We know what caused our high prices and inflation here in the U.S.
FYI, Inflation is a global issue, it was never just the US. We’re all in it together unfortunately :(

There were some dosing pumps I’d wanted last summer but figured ah I’ll wait until I truly need them. Now I wish I hadn’t waited!

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all I can say is reefing aint cheap and it never was. price is all relative. remember reef keeping is not essential and is considered a rich mans sport. Get a dog or cat if u dont want to spend money .

Last edited by a moderator:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all I can say is reefing aint cheap and it never was. price is all relative. remember reef keeping is not essential and is considered a rich mans sport. Get a dog or cat if u dont want to spend money .
Dogs and cats can cost money as well, especially if you have to treat them with meds/special foods. My wife actually spends money on pet insurance which I haven't pulled the trigger on.

Plan on taking a vacation, kenneling or sitters cost money.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, Inflation is a global issue, it was never just the US. We’re all in it together unfortunately :(

There were some dosing pumps I’d wanted last summer but figured ah I’ll wait until I truly need them. Now I wish I hadn’t waited!
And the global leader is? Fyi

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a Medical Doctor who has been in the hobby for over 35 years I can tell you the Hobby is addictive. No different from Drugs sugar alcohol gambling etc. The sellers and producers of equipment are GLAD to fill the needs of the hobbyist, never quite enough is it. Lots of SNAKEOIL and the latest and greatest piece of got to have it new equipment or newest and greatest new color morph of coral. All the same to me.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my cat costs double what my tank costs monthly. Just sayin.
And the global leader is? Fyi
oh that’s incorrect thinking, and I didn’t realize you were going there lol. Enough of that talk now, it’s not stuff we are welcome to be discussing here.

Edit: I just realized this sounded really dismissive, and I didn’t mean it to be. I just meant that the US being the singular cause of global inflation isn’t factually correct, though I understand that our economy is powerful enough to have a global influence. Pew did some (non-political and non-partisan) research on this if anyone is truly interested: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-ta...he-u-s-has-seen-one-of-the-biggest-increases/

Last edited:

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dogs and cats can cost money as well, especially if you have to treat them with meds/special foods. My wife actually spends money on pet insurance which I haven't pulled the trigger on.

Plan on taking a vacation, kenneling or sitters cost money.
This. I actually spend more on my cat than I do on my reef.

OP
OP
B

Badspstank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a used Reefer setup with everything, and I only purchased my coral frags this past holiday season. They were 40% plus I purchased frag packs and used my rewards points. Each frag averaged out to be $21 per frag shipped. Without the sale and rewards points, each frag would've averaged out to be $48 per frag. The rest of my frags have come from local reefers who sell cheap and/or trade.

I refuse to pay retail, can't afford it.

I wouldn't be back into the hobby if I didn't buy used equipment or on sale items.

If you love the hobby, get back into it. Just buy used, find the deals, and avoid all of the non-sensical gimmicky products out
Yeah never been the one for gimmicky products again it took me years to even put a calcium reactor or a protein skimmer on my tank I don't go out and buy all those high-end products for the tanks I use magnesium I use epsom salt for my magnesium I use baking soda I use regular household stuff to maintain my tank and you can see how my tank look and I ran my tank for probably 15 16 years
e that aren't necess

OP
OP
B

Badspstank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm right here in Sacramento and yeah everything is messed up right now

OP
OP
B

Badspstank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you sound bitter my friend . For record not complaining I make choices I done this stuff for 35 yrs and it's crazy how much it has changed in past few yrs lol.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Owning a dog isn’t cheap either, it’s probably more expensive than a reef can get.
I agree with the above comment by Badspstank, this hobby has really become different in the past few years (Forget 5 years, 3 years ago the YT was £30 or $39 for me, now it’s £220 or $291).

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir for sure
Similar to our other hobbies/past times, like boating, the "new shiny objects" get pricey but you can find ways to do what you wish with planning, pateince and some good google skills. I bought some used equipemnt when the old R2R classifieds worked (the new classifieds do not work for me). I have a list of fish and corals on my "wish" list and I purchase when I find them at reasonable prices. The most I have spent on a fish or coral has been $40. My frogspawn and torch corals were smaller frags but they are growing. My SPS corals the same way.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawaiian ban
Holy Grail

That basically sums up what happened to the hobby and why prices took a rocket to the moon
Also forgot to add how someone decided to bring in “Designer Names” for everything.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. I actually spend more on my cat than I do on my reef.
I spent about $500 to remove a benign growth from my cat a couple years ago. They weren't able to get it all....it grew back.

I think I've spend less on aiptasia removal over the years.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was happy to read that Chris Meckley from ACI Aaquaculture was trying to address this issue w designer names at aquashella. This hobby needs to go back to its roots and go the scientific route so people know what they really have in their systems. I scratch my head when I see a coral labeled as rainbow and I only see one color.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also forgot to add how someone decided to bring in “Designer Names” for everything.
THIS!! I can't understand how the hobby allowed this to happen... I mean, the run of the mill hobbyists (i.e. all of us, as opposed to someone on "Tanked", etc) are the vast majority of the market; I would have thought the inflated prices and made up names would have been laughed out of town.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s just part of the hobby now.
39F491F4-FA8B-4697-A71A-82D7F8974276.png

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back