What is ACTUALLY going on with Hawaii fish?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a rather more thorough article on what appears to be the same study, from The Nature Conservancy: https://www.nature.org/ourinitiativ...tes/hawaii/explore/friedlander-fish-study.xml

The study applies to fish targeted as food - a snippet from the article tells an interesting tale:

"The study found that off Oʻahu and Maui, where human population is greatest, the total amount of food fish species (e.g. uhu, ʻōmilu, kala) is a small fraction of those same species on remote reefs with small human populations (e.g. north Molokaʻi, Kahoʻolawe, Niʻihau). What is eye-opening is that for non-food fish species (e.g. damselfish, butterflyfish, hīnālea), the total amount of fish is similar everywhere, including areas with high human populations and heavy fishing pressure."

... and the abstract of the paper itself: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/aqc.2832/full (Full access for those who pay for it . . . Journal's gotta make a living . . . )

~Bruce

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any updates to this?

I see Hawaiian fish are for sale again pretty readily

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the actual bill:
https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2018/bills/SB2003_.HTM

THE SENATE

S.B. NO.

TWENTY-NINTH LEGISLATURE, 2018

STATE OF HAWAII

A BILL FOR AN ACT

RELATING TO AQUATIC LIFE.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:

SECTION 1. The legislature finds that hundreds of thousands of saltwater fish and other aquatic life, such as invertebrates, are annually removed from their natural ocean habitat in Hawai‘i to be kept in aquariums in homes throughout the state and country. These fish and other aquatic life are caught and sold as part of the aquarium trade industry for ornamentation and amusement, not for food purposes.

The legislature also finds that the state aquarium fish permit authorizes the taking of an unlimited number of fish and other aquatic life for commercial purposes, and up to two thousand fish and other aquatic life annually for recreational purposes, using nets and traps containing stretched netting of less than two-inch mesh. While a fine mesh net or trap is not required in order to remove aquatic life for aquarium purposes, it is generally believed to be more effective than using other gear that does not require a permit, as the mesh is tight enough to keep fish from escaping. The fine mesh nets and traps can be used both near the surface of the ocean and at depths reached by scuba diving. Like humans, any fish caught deep below the surface will need to decompress before being brought to the surface. The fish is then put in a bucket or other storage container to take to shore, where it will begin its journey through various temporary tanks and diverse conditions to travel across the State or to other parts of the globe.

The legislature further finds that, as a precautionary principle and since saltwater fish and other aquatic life are not caught for food purposes, it is in the best interest of the fish and other aquatic life, as well as of the reefs they inhabit, that they remain in their natural environment, not confined in personal aquarium tanks. Therefore, the legislature concludes that commercial fishing for aquarium fish in Hawai‘i should be phased out.

While prohibiting the issuance of new aquarium fish permits, this Act will protect existing commercial aquarium fish collecting businesses by allowing individuals holding aquarium fish permits that have been issued or renewed within the past five years to continue using those permits, provided that they also possess a commercial marine license. These existing permits will also be able to be transferred, for five years after enactment of this Act, to other individuals who possess a commercial marine license. Non-commercial collectors will be able to continue collecting aquarium fish up to the existing limit of five specimens per day without needing an aquarium fish permit, provided that they do not use fine meshed traps, fine meshed nets, throw nets, or other prohibited catch methods.

This Act is not, however, intended to encourage residents and tourists to go into the water to view or catch aquarium fish unless sufficient safety measures and adequate environmental precautions are taken.

The purpose of this Act is to:

(1) Restrict the taking of, for commercial purposes, aquatic life by any method of catch to those individuals who hold a valid, non-lapsed aquarium fish permit and commercial marine license;

(2) Prohibit the department of land and natural resources from issuing new aquarium fish permits to take aquatic life for commercial or non-commercial purposes;

(3) Allow, for commercial purposes, existing aquarium fish permits to be renewed by individuals possessing a commercial marine license and, for five years, transferred to individuals possessing a commercial marine license; and

(4) Allow the taking of, for non-commercial purposes, aquatic life subject to a limit of five fish or aquatic life specimens per permit per day; provided that fine meshed traps, fine meshed nets, throw nets, or other prohibited catch methods are not used.

SECTION 2. Section 188-31, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended to read as follows:

"§188-31 Permits to take aquatic life for aquarium purposes[.]; prohibitions. (a) [Except as prohibited by law, the department, upon receipt of a written application, may issue an aquarium fish permit, not longer than one year in duration to use fine meshed traps, or fine meshed nets other than throw nets,] It shall be unlawful to take, for commercial purpose, any marine or freshwater nongame fish and other aquatic life by any method of catch, including by use of fine meshed traps, fine meshed nets, or throw nets, without possessing a valid, non-lapsed aquarium fish permit and commercial marine license; provided that the taking is not otherwise prohibited by law.

(b) It shall be unlawful to take, for non-commercial purpose, marine or freshwater nongame fish and other aquatic life by use of fine meshed traps, fine meshed nets, throw nets, or other prohibited catch methods, and to take more than a combined total of five fish or aquatic life specimens per person per day.

(c) Beginning on July 1, 2018, the department of land and natural resources shall not issue aquarium fish permits for the taking of marine or freshwater nongame fish and other aquatic life for aquarium purposes.

(d) The department of land and natural resources shall renew an existing aquarium fish permit, if the permit has not lapsed at the time of the renewal.

(e) The department of land and natural resources shall transfer an existing aquarium fish permit prior to July 1, 2023, if the permit has not lapsed at the time of the transfer.

[(b)] (f) Except as prohibited by law, [the] non-lapsed permits shall be [issued only to persons] renewed by or transferred to only commercial marine licensees, as defined in section 187A-1,who can satisfy the department that they possess facilities to and can maintain fish and other aquatic life alive and in reasonable health[.] and do not engage in animal cruelty practices that violate section 711-1109.

[(c)] (g) It shall be illegal to sell or offer for sale any fish and other aquatic life taken under an aquarium fish permit unless those fish and other aquatic life are sold alive for aquarium purposes.

The department may adopt rules pursuant to chapter 91 for the purpose of this section.

(h) This section shall not prohibit any commercial marine licensee, as defined in section 187A-1, from assisting another commercial marine licensee who holds a valid aquarium fish permit; provided that the assistance does not involve the use of any gear, equipment, tools, or other means to take fish and other aquatic life.

[(d)] (i) For the purposes of this section:

[(1) "Aquarium purposes" means to hold salt water fish, freshwater nongame fish, or other aquatic life alive in a state of captivity as pets, for scientific study, or for public exhibition or display, or for sale for these purposes; and

(2)] "Aquarium fish permit" means a permit issued by the [board] department of land and natural resources for the use of fine mesh nets and traps, other than throw nets, to take salt water fish, freshwater nongame fish, or other aquatic life for aquarium purposes.

"Aquarium purposes" means to hold salt water fish, freshwater nongame fish, or other aquatic life alive in a state of captivity as pets, for scientific study, or for public exhibition or display, or for sale for these purposes.

"Commercial purpose" has the same meaning as in section 187A-1.

"Fine mesh", or "fine meshed", means stretched mesh of less than two inches, as used in netting to collect fish and other aquatic life.

"Lapsed" means a permit issued by the department of land and natural resources that has not been renewed for five or more years immediately preceding the time of the transfer or the renewal."

SECTION 3. If any provision of this Act, or the application thereof to any person or circumstance, is held invalid, the invalidity does not affect other provisions or applications of the Act that can be given effect without the invalid provision or application, and to this end the provisions of this Act are severable.

SECTION 4. Statutory material to be repealed is bracketed and stricken. New statutory material is underscored.

SECTION 5. This Act shall take effect on July 1, 2018.

INTRODUCED BY:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically, a few tangs _living_ in a glass box on the mainland is horrifyingly worse than coolers full of achilles and grills covered by sizzling nasos.

Why is it so vastly better for the tangs to be consumed with lemon?

~Bruce

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything, I’ve seen an increase of Hawaiian fish in multiple LFS in Los Angeles.

Potter’s Angelfish and wrasses are always in stock when it was previously a tad bit hard to find locally. Show size Achilles tangs was seen this last weekend and yellow tangs are rampant everywhere as owner can now sell them for a higher price claiming they will soon no longer be available.

I’m at the point where I can care less. It’s it’s there, great. If it’s not, on to the next choice.

James Kanouff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Statement ="These fish and other aquatic life are caught and sold as part of the aquarium trade industry for ornamentation and amusement, not for food purposes."
Opinion =Totally skipped the education and PLANET awareness this whole thing is supposed to be about anyway right!!!
Statement =The legislature further finds that, as a precautionary principle and since saltwater fish and other aquatic life are not caught for food purposes, it is in the best interest of the fish and other aquatic life, as well as of the reefs they inhabit, that they remain in their natural environment, not confined in personal aquarium tanks.
Because eating them is far better than teaching/learning with them in a controlled environment. What we need is more BBQ's and more idiots tramping thru the ocean grabbing at shiny crawly swimy mystery things! You got to be kidding me! Have any of these legislative idiots been in the ocean?

Such a sad collection of ""Scientific"" miss information and opinion. Only reason I care about the ocean is MY Aquarium and what it has taught me. Everyone should have one, they would stop many of there harmful ways of living on this planet! Awareness is the key! Its not just water out there.

Instead of an unlimited number of catches for an annual commercial collection license, how about we make it ZERO now. That makes no sense!!! Maybe any limit other than infinity or zero would be a good choice for the planet once again.

Very frustrating. My children honestly randomly pick up trash off the street because of my aquariums and what they teach them about our planet! Get a clue Legislators.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Population has to eat. Not that Hawaii is a 3rd world country but someone has to be the fish, someone has to be the fisherman.

But is food fishing whether commercial or personal regulated the same as the ornamental trade? Catching fish to eat is fine if it doesn't impact the health of the fisheries. If I go out and bag a boatload of achilles for a bbq is that more sustainable or better than catching a few for the aquarium trade. I know the ornamental trade has daily limits but I've not seen personal food catch limits mentioned. If they are treated differently then that's worrying because food fishing is several orders of magnitude larger.

U

User1

View Badges
But is food fishing whether commercial or personal regulated the same as the ornamental trade? Catching fish to eat is fine if it doesn't impact the health of the fisheries. If I go out and bag a boatload of achilles for a bbq is that more sustainable or better than catching a few for the aquarium trade. I know the ornamental trade has daily limits but I've not seen personal food catch limits mentioned. If they are treated differently then that's worrying because food fishing is several orders of magnitude larger.

I don't know which one is more problematic than the other - in either case catching a few for the aquarium trade doesn't equal a few. Very few make it successfully into our tanks let alone to the reseller. Ever been to Monterey California? Talking about an area devastated by lack of enforced regulation, there is one. In any case I don't know what their legislation is all about and it sounds like it may be evolving still. My gut says part of it is tourism, part of it is global warming hyperbole (on both sides), and some may be genuine conservation efforts.

I know my last dive trip there about a year and a half ago was better with regards to corals and fish population than previous dive trips. Could just be time of year, could be something is actually working, could be maybe I just had better vision. I really don't know but the reefs did look healthier this go around than previous.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TL Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know which one is more problematic than the other - in either case catching a few for the aquarium trade doesn't equal a few. Very few make it successfully into our tanks let alone to the reseller.

This is absolutely not true! The survival rate is quite high; I'd say more in the range of 98-100%. Divers don't get paid for dead fish, so it's in their best interest to collect them responsibly and keep them alive. Otherwise, they're just wasting their time.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is absolutely not true! The survival rate is quite high; I'd say more in the range of 98-100%. Divers don't get paid for dead fish, so it's in their best interest to collect them responsibly and keep them alive. Otherwise, they're just wasting their time.

No it is true it was estimated something like 1 out of 3 saltwater fish make it into our tanks. They do not die in collection they die in holding tanks, they die in transportation to the wholesaler, they die in wholesales tanks, then again in transportation, they die in the local fish store, then they die in transportation or a few days latter do to the aquarist not quarantine or knowing proper treatment etc.. That stat is old but I bet it is close to it still and may have improved percentage wise some because of better shipping methods.. Defiantly the hobby has grown so maybe percentage is not as high but the amount is way higher.

I believe that is what he is talking about.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now if we could get this science to drive policymaking

Unfortunately, the anti-aquarium zealots are better organized and better funded than the scientific community. The data is there demonstrating the sustainability of the fishery, but apparently emotion trumps facts.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it is true it was estimated something like 1 out of 3 saltwater fish make it into our tanks. They do not die in collection they die in holding tanks, they die in transportation to the wholesaler, they die in wholesales tanks, then again in transportation, they die in the local fish store, then they die in transportation or a few days latter do to the aquarist not quarantine or knowing proper treatment etc.. That stat is old but I bet it is close to it still and may have improved percentage wise some because of better shipping methods.. Defiantly the hobby has grown so maybe percentage is not as high but the amount is way higher.

Estimated by who? For the Fishes or some other anti-aquarium organization? That hasn't been close to the numbers I have observed through LFS and wholesalers.

TL Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Estimated by who? For the Fishes or some other anti-aquarium organization? That hasn't been close to the numbers I have observed through LFS and wholesalers.
Exactly! How would someone even begin to come up with an estimate? It's just a gut feel, since there is no data available. I know that Hawaii fish are collected responsibly. I've been to the divers' facilities. I've been to the Hawaii wholesale facilities too. Didn't see any dead fish. There is no cyanide use, and all fish are hand caught. That may not be the case with other countries, but that's a different discussion, since we are talking Hawaii fish here.

U

User1

View Badges

It is - you summed it up nicely. Thank you.

Back