What is ACTUALLY going on with Hawaii fish?

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by 4FordFamily, Nov 8, 2017.

1. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Alright, we’ve been through a couple scares. Last I heard, fisb can still be shipped in and out. The most recent scare only impacts one type of collection tactic that isn’t much used in Hawaii and impacts predominantly smaller fish.

Hawaii says pending results of some study (who knows how long) they’re allegedly not renewing permits for collection, commercially?

What about smaller collection like hobby?

Is anyone actually following this? I’d like an official update thread. Perhaps this can be it.

Ergodyne, Dsnakes, Don Lidtke and 5 others like this.
    Tags:

2. Maritimer

Maritimer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

My understanding is that commercial collecting permits for nets with openings smaller than 2" stretch are banned for commercial use, pending a study by Department of Land and Natural Resources, but that study may be a long time coming, as DLNR is reported to be underfunded, with aquarium fish being a low priority. PIJAC is collecting money, from what I'm given to understand, in preparation for some sort of legal wrangling.

Recreational permits (presumed to mean go out and catch fish for your own tank) are reportedly unaffected.

Mind you ... I live in Connecticut, which is a long way from the land of "Aloha".

Agreed that an update thread would be welcome!

~Bruce

3. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Thanks Bruce!

Ergodyne, DSC reef, Dsnakes and 2 others like this.
  4. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

This is my understanding as well.

5. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor

6. Eric Wadle

Eric Wadle Well-Known Member

following

7. drawman

drawman Well-Known Member

Following

8. Jamie7907

Jamie7907 Well-Known Member

This is what’s happening. The study is supposed to cost $50k and I’ve been told PIJAC is paying for it. Even once it’s paid for collectors don’t know if it will take a few months or a few years.

Dsnakes, Tristren, Big G and 4 others like this.
  9. 4FordFamily

In the meantime, existing permits are OK?

Dsnakes and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  10. Jamie7907

The commercial fishing permit is still valid. The permit that got taken away was for small mesh nets with less than 2”. Smaller fish will likely start to be harder to come by but medium to larger fish probably won’t change at all. The collectors I’ve spoken with say there aren’t even plans yet to change prices.

Bunnee911, DSC reef, Dsnakes and 3 others like this.
  11. Maritimer

Maritimer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

12. Jamie7907

I’ll do that. I think a lot of the community here would be down to help. It would be nice to how close they are.

13. saltyhog

saltyhog Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2018

I'm wondering how they will ever catch fish like flame wrasse, Potter's wrasse, etc. with a 2"+ net.

14. Jamie7907

Slurp gun.

cyrus, Dsnakes, USMC 4 LIFE and 4 others like this.
  15. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad

Following.

Personally I think this is a fair offer so we know. Any idea how the examination of the recived data is vetted?

I'd like to have fact checks not officials and experts interpretations or spin.

16. 4FordFamily

Thanks everyone for your contributions. I’m quite interested in this for obvious reasons. I figured i wasn’t the only one!

17. saltyhog

saltyhog Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2018

I had forgot about those. How do they compare with nets as far as fish injury? How close do you have to get for it to be effective?

Dsnakes likes this.
  18. si reef

si reef Well-Known Member

I have a slurp gun. Basically you need to be within a couple inches of the fish with the plunger in the extend position. You then push water towards the fish to get it to turn towards you then pull back sucking in the fish and place your free hand over the opening. Net is Way more effective.

Dsnakes likes this.
  19. Jamie7907

What gets me about this whole deal is that every news outlet that reported on it, reported it as a total collection ban which isn’t even the case. It was either just plain laziness or intentional campaign to mislead the public. Not one of the news outlets seemed to be able to do any of their own fact checking, not even the great reef builders.

20. Daltrey

Daltrey Well-Known Member

Nothing that will affect us. It's business as usual.

cgdcinc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted