What is ACTUALLY going on with Hawaii fish?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, we’ve been through a couple scares. Last I heard, fisb can still be shipped in and out. The most recent scare only impacts one type of collection tactic that isn’t much used in Hawaii and impacts predominantly smaller fish.

Hawaii says pending results of some study (who knows how long) they’re allegedly not renewing permits for collection, commercially?

What about smaller collection like hobby?

Is anyone actually following this? I’d like an official update thread. Perhaps this can be it.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that commercial collecting permits for nets with openings smaller than 2" stretch are banned for commercial use, pending a study by Department of Land and Natural Resources, but that study may be a long time coming, as DLNR is reported to be underfunded, with aquarium fish being a low priority. PIJAC is collecting money, from what I'm given to understand, in preparation for some sort of legal wrangling.

Recreational permits (presumed to mean go out and catch fish for your own tank) are reportedly unaffected.

Mind you ... I live in Connecticut, which is a long way from the land of "Aloha".

Agreed that an update thread would be welcome!

~Bruce

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that commercial collecting permits for nets with openings smaller than 2" stretch are banned for commercial use, pending a study by Department of Land and Natural Resources, but that study may be a long time coming, as DLNR is reported to be underfunded, with aquarium fish being a low priority. PIJAC is collecting money, from what I'm given to understand, in preparation for some sort of legal wrangling.

Recreational permits (presumed to mean go out and catch fish for your own tank) are reportedly unaffected.

Mind you ... I live in Connecticut, which is a long way from the land of "Aloha".

~Bruce
Thanks Bruce!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

~Bruce
This is my understanding as well.

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

~Bruce

This is what’s happening. The study is supposed to cost $50k and I’ve been told PIJAC is paying for it. Even once it’s paid for collectors don’t know if it will take a few months or a few years.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what’s happening. The study is supposed to cost $50k and I’ve been told PIJAC is paying for it. Even once it’s paid for collectors don’t know if it will take a few months or a few years.
In the meantime, existing permits are OK?

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The commercial fishing permit is still valid. The permit that got taken away was for small mesh nets with less than 2”. Smaller fish will likely start to be harder to come by but medium to larger fish probably won’t change at all. The collectors I’ve spoken with say there aren’t even plans yet to change prices.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

Personally I think this is a fair offer so we know. Any idea how the examination of the recived data is vetted?

I'd like to have fact checks not officials and experts interpretations or spin.

~Bruce

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your contributions. I’m quite interested in this for obvious reasons. I figured i wasn’t the only one!

si reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a slurp gun. Basically you need to be within a couple inches of the fish with the plunger in the extend position. You then push water towards the fish to get it to turn towards you then pull back sucking in the fish and place your free hand over the opening. Net is Way more effective.

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What gets me about this whole deal is that every news outlet that reported on it, reported it as a total collection ban which isn’t even the case. It was either just plain laziness or intentional campaign to mislead the public. Not one of the news outlets seemed to be able to do any of their own fact checking, not even the great reef builders.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back