What is something you wish someone would have told you before getting in to this hobby??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We all know this hobby can be very exciting and rewarding, especially when things are going right with your tank! With that being said this hobby is not without its challenges. We have all undoubtedly gone through great moments of frustration and wondering "What am I doing wrong?". It isn't until you have that AH HA moment that it clicks and you learn that one thing that is a game changer for you!

If you were starting all over and had no knowledge of this hobby whatsoever, what is one thing you wish someone would have told you about this hobby?

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 10.40.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 10.40.54 AM.png

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
there will be losses! coming into the hobby even with a plethora of information and tools, there will be losses.

i have lost many corals and will probably lose some more. if i we’re to redo things it would just be to be more mindful or even humble so as not to get as upset when things don’t go my way

Mperry622

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trying to save a buck - Cutting corners and buying cheap used equipment is just a nitemare on some items.. I wish i would have bought new and bigger than needed from the start.. now i sit on Current LED strip kits that don't play well with other things, broken skimmer and other misc items not what i needed or wanted..

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
there will be losses! coming into the hobby even with a plethora of information and tools, there will be losses.

i have lost many corals and will probably lose some more. if i we’re to redo things it would just be to be more mindful or even humble so as not to get as upset when things don’t go my way

I think this is a hard pill for a lot of new reefers to swallow. I remember the first "High End" piece I bought. I went in to it so cocky thinking it was going to grow massive and that I knew exactly what I was doing, only for it to be dead in less than a month... Losses like that can definitely be humbling, but they always teach you a lesson.

How much it cost and how much you will lose.

A lot of people do underestimate the cost. Granted you can do a "budget build", but a lot of times it is better in the long run to spend the money to do things right the first time. This way you don't have to do things over again when something fails.

Trying to save a buck - Cutting corners and buying cheap used equipment is just a nitemare on some items.. I wish i would have bought new and bigger than needed from the start.. now i sit on Current LED strip kits that don't play well with other things, broken skimmer and other misc items not what i needed or wanted..

I couldn't agree with this more. I definitely skimped out in the beginning thinking "Oh this is good enough" and ended up paying the price later on. I had to eventually just give away equipment that was totally useless to me. These are the lessons you learn as you go lol.

Dorsetsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That even the very best aquarists, the experts so to speak will loose fish and corals. The idea that you can learn earn to prevent problems is a pipe dream.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to do it alone.
People regularly "lurk" on sites for info, but rarely reach out to other reefers.
After a while, I wasn't satisfied with my county not having a lfs or club. So, I made an online group myself and found other reefers in my area. Then I joined R2R and expanded on that idea here. Being an active part of a community makes everyone better.

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That even the very best aquarists, the experts so to speak will loose fish and corals. The idea that you can learn earn to prevent problems is a pipe dream.

This is 100% correct!! We have decades of combined experience here in our farm facility and we still have losses. No one is perfect and no matter how long you have been in this hobby you will definitely have losses.

You don't have to do it alone.
People regularly "lurk" on sites for info, but rarely reach out to other reefers.
After a while, I wasn't satisfied with my county not having a lfs or club. So, I made an online group myself and found other reefers in my area. Then I joined R2R and expanded on that idea here. Being an active part of a community makes everyone better.

I think it becomes a pride issue for a lot of people. There is definitely nothing wrong with asking for help. Even with all our knowledge here at our farm there are still times that we reach out to other experts to get advice on things. Also groups are incredibly helpful and also a great way to make friends within the hobby!

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me controversial but:

1. This hobby isn't for everyone. It takes lots of time, money, and patience. (Maybe I'm just tired of seeing all these "HELP - My (insert name of expensive/advanced care coral/fish) is dying" and find out it's their first tank and it's three weeks old.

2. Do your research before you spend a dime. You need to have a plan of what you want, how you plumb it, and how you stock it.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

1. This hobby isn't for everyone. It takes lots of time, money, and patience. (Maybe I'm just tired of seeing all these "HELP - My (insert name of expensive/advanced care coral/fish) is dying" and find out it's their first tank and it's three weeks old.

2. Do your research before you spend a dime. You need to have a plan of what you want, how you plumb it, and how you stock it.
Agreed...LOTS AND LOTS of research and then research more before you EVER pull out your wallet.

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To buy a bigger tank right off the rip instead of buying a 20 gallon from Petco. My Aqueon has been awesome, but in less than a year its already full of coral and maxed out on fish. Wish I went with a 40 at least but realistically I want a 90 gallon :}

I have 2 AI primes on a 20 gallon tank that cost me 20 bucks. lol make it make sense

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I definitely think this hobby can be for everyone. Different people learn in different ways and I would rather see people feel comfortable enough to ask for help, than be too scared to ask and make mistakes that so many reefers before them have made. With that being said I agree you can never research too much. This hobby is constantly evolving and there is always something new to learn.

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
To buy a bigger tank right off the rip instead of buying a 20 gallon from Petco. My Aqueon has been awesome, but in less than a year its already full of coral and maxed out on fish. Wish I went with a 40 at least but realistically I want a 90 gallon :}

I have 2 AI primes on a 20 gallon tank that cost me 20 bucks. lol make it make sense

Definitely agree with this! We always tell customers to go as big as they can at the start. It will help them with stability and not to mention everyone fills their small tanks up FAST!! lol

Caught on to the fact that most employees at a lot of shops just wanna make a sale (not always in the best interest of the animal or buyer)

This is sad to hear. We always try to talk to our customers especially in our retail store to see what kind of tank and equipment they have so we know what fish and corals will work with their set up. It is always better to have happy customers with thriving tanks than to have a customer you sell something to that dies right away and never wants to shop with you again.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back