What is the best option for a Blenny?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of incorporating at least one (if not more than one) Blenny into my tank, but I’m not sure which one / s to go with. Can they be kept safely with other smaller fish especially Gobies and Hawkfish?

I am looking at Meiacanthus, Ecsenius, and Salarias. My tank’s going to be peaceful but even then I want to add my Blenny fairly early. Not a fan of the Tail Spot as it’s a bit too small for my liking, easily gets lost in a 6’ 180.

1. Midas

2. Bicolor

3. Lawnmower

4. Starry Lawnmower

5. Linear

6. Yellow Tail Fang

Etc.

Which ones are the easiest to keep?

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote Midas. (I’m planning on having one in my tank).

I just love the color they have and the eel-like way they swim

edit: they seem to require the basics; food, places to hide, stable parameters. So nothing too demanding

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of the Midas and may well consider one, Salarias spp. also look tempting but I get mixed opinions on their suitability and survivability. Are the Lawnmowers in any way suitable beginner fish? I’ll have Herbivorous, algae based foods ready but will that be enough?

I know Ecsenius spp. are on the omnivorous side.

ErehwoN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bicolor and he has quickly become one of my favorite fish (admittedly, I currently only have 8). I say this because his personality ("fishanality"?) is so quirky. He likes to lounge on the live rock or find a hole to hide in. He will sit there and just watch what's going on and you can see his eyes kind of dart from side to side as something catches his attention. He comes out at every feeding and, with my coral beauty angel, keeps the tank pretty close to algae-free. Maybe not the most colorful, but I'm very happy with mine.

Of course, your mileage may vary!

Jim

ErehwoN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do Blennies usually live for?

Disclaimer: I don't know as I have only a couple of months experience, having started in March.

A quick internet search suggests blennies live somewhere between 2 and 5 years. However, I would trust information from someone on this forum who has a lot more experience rather than my quick Google skills.

Jim

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A starry blenny was my first fish, got it about 1.5” long. It’s approaching 4” at roughly 2 years in my care. He’s a very personality filled fish, throws snails and crabs away from his space. Stands up to my pushy wrasse. I have a heavy clean up crew so I don’t think he contributes much to algae control. He prefers to wait for me to feed the tank and is right in my face when I try to view the tank.
2B53DFC9-1717-43A3-ADF5-58922BD26206.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Twin spot and lawnmower ( great algae eaters)

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned lawnmowers, starry blennnys, and midas.

The lawnmower and starry seem almost the same with just different markings. I know they're not, but they are very similar in behavior and diet. There are healthy individuals that thrive and get fat, and others who stay thin and eventually perish. It is luck of the draw. Some of them never adapt to captive food, even nori, mastic or algae wafers, and other individuals eat anything and everything. Certain individuals can get aggressive as well, especially with but not limited to other fish that share the rock work with them.

Midas blennies are a whole different beast. They spend more time swimming in midwater as opposed to the other toward get the majority of their food from the water column not the rock work and aquarium glass. I've never seen an aggressive one. They also have that interesting ability to change their color depending on their mood and the surroundings. Not much of an algae eater.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s cool to know. I’m not sure if a Lawnmower / Starry will still be a good choice considering I will be having a Flame Hawk, Longnose Hawk, and shromp Gobies sharing the substrate with the Blenny.

The Midas looks awesome. I would love to get my hands on one.

Edit: Sounds like quite a gamble with the Algae Blennies. If I can get a Bicolor and a Midas together without trouble, I might opt for the two Ecsenius.

Last edited:

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s cool to know. I’m not sure if a Lawnmower / Starry will still be a good choice considering I will be having a Flame Hawk, Longnose Hawk, and shromp Gobies sharing the substrate with the Blenny.

That's a lot of non-swimming fish.

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a tank with a geometric hawk in it, and I recently took a trip to Florida and caught a seaweed blenny. Great addition to my tank! The hawk and him get along great and he eats like a pig which is great considering he was definitely 100% wild caught. Swims very eelishly and quite quickly, does good to stir the detritus (BB tank) so it doesn’t stick and helpfully collects it into one corner (guess he’s a neat freak?) I always see him perching on the rocks, under an anemone, lurking in the shadows, he’s really great and I think they’re an under appreciated fish in the hobby because I’ve never seen them and it took me about a week on here to even get an ID on the guy. Would definitely recommend if you can find one :) He’s actually a nice indigo under blues, he’s like an acro, brownish in daylight but stunning in blues!
6FE4D452-CCB8-43A7-9052-FCD12F6AC24A.jpeg
841DC3ED-F46A-4D73-BFDA-5181DE297D2A.jpeg

ssster2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bicolour, it’s my first and only fish, it’s a brand new tank. He is a ravenous eater and is fascinating to watch. Darts from hole to hole in the rock, perches at the entrance and watches. I’m new to this but it seems to be a good choice.

7E32E461-977D-473C-9921-17EA07C4D82C.jpeg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back