What is the best probe location

richarddeweerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently waiting for my Apex to be delivered. And I'm now wandering where to put the probes in my sump. I was thinking of the chamber where the overflow comes in because in that case you measure what is coming from the display tank. On the other side when I turn my return pump off and on there will be some bubbles coming in this chamber . the other chamber that is possible is the one with the skimmer, but it is also possible that there are microbubbles there.

What is your point of view of this?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In a quiet area free of turbulence and air bubbles

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Apex user here. I placed my probes in the probe holder that was built into the sump. :)

That said, the probe holder is in the "middle" compartment which holds my heater and skimmer. The probes are located on the wall that flows to the return pump. So far I haven't seen any bubbles, and the probe readings seem accurate / consistent.

Temp probe is next to my heater controller temp probe which are both located in the return overflow section before the filters.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the probe I guess. Not an Apex user but I have some on my reef-pi. I have temperature probes before the heater and one in the display near the overflow. Ensure they are atleast 5" submerges and away from heaters and lights. Ph probe is in my refugium and I dose into the return pump area.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity probe is the most sensitive to bubbles. I keep all my probes in the return chamber where there’s the fewest bubbles and detritus.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build my own probe box. It has tiny holes all along the sides so that only water can flow in it. Also the holder is sealed from light so no algae can grow on the probes.
Lastly it is mounted in a low flow area of the sump.
Combined befit is probes that only need cleaning every two months and the probes last almost twice as long.

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my apex today. So where do I put the temp probe. For now I put it in the tank next to the over flow box but it's 6 inches away from the heater. I keep my heater in the tank not in the sump. Is the sump water temperature the same as the tank temperature? If I put the probe in the sump will the water be a couple degrees colder because it's far away from the heater? What should I do?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my apex today. So where do I put the temp probe. For now I put it in the tank next to the over flow box but it's 6 inches away from the heater. I keep my heater in the tank not in the sump. Is the sump water temperature the same as the tank temperature? If I put the probe in the sump will the water be a couple degrees colder because it's far away from the heater? What should I do?
The logic say keep the heater in the sump the temp probe in the display. You are interested in the display temperature not the sump. Heater should be away from the probe.
rest of the probes should be in low bubble free area and are fine in sump.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build my own probe box. It has tiny holes all along the sides so that only water can flow in it. Also the holder is sealed from light so no algae can grow on the probes.
Lastly it is mounted in a low flow area of the sump.
Combined befit is probes that only need cleaning every two months and the probes last almost twice as long.
Do you have a picture of this for more information.? Sounds like a good idea

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would place it on your return pump chamber. It should have some sort of sponge/baffle before it to make sure there’s on air bubbles going into the probes. It’s also the closest params you’ll get matching display since it’ll be in the chamber right before it goes back into display.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back