What is the best probe location

richarddeweerd

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm currently waiting for my Apex to be delivered. And I'm now wandering where to put the probes in my sump. I was thinking of the chamber where the overflow comes in because in that case you measure what is coming from the display tank. On the other side when I turn my return pump off and on there will be some bubbles coming in this chamber . the other chamber that is possible is the one with the skimmer, but it is also possible that there are microbubbles there.

What is your point of view of this?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
In a quiet area free of turbulence and air bubbles

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
New Apex user here. I placed my probes in the probe holder that was built into the sump. :)

That said, the probe holder is in the "middle" compartment which holds my heater and skimmer. The probes are located on the wall that flows to the return pump. So far I haven't seen any bubbles, and the probe readings seem accurate / consistent.

Temp probe is next to my heater controller temp probe which are both located in the return overflow section before the filters.

NeonRabbit221B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Depends on the probe I guess. Not an Apex user but I have some on my reef-pi. I have temperature probes before the heater and one in the display near the overflow. Ensure they are atleast 5" submerges and away from heaters and lights. Ph probe is in my refugium and I dose into the return pump area.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Build my own probe box. It has tiny holes all along the sides so that only water can flow in it. Also the holder is sealed from light so no algae can grow on the probes.
Lastly it is mounted in a low flow area of the sump.
Combined befit is probes that only need cleaning every two months and the probes last almost twice as long.

Which do you think is better for your reef?

• Longer Less Intense Lighting

Votes: 109 43.6%
  • Shorter More Intense Lighting

Votes: 22 8.8%
  • No Difference

Votes: 16 6.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 96 38.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 2.8%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Build Your Dream Aquarium Automation System!