what is the current craze? what will the next one be?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think theres a good consensus that the aussie acan craze ended months ago when they flooded the markets. sure there are still some nice ones out there that people want, but by no means in craze proportion anymore like they were last summer. plus, you hardly EVER see anyone selling acan frag packs. pretty much the only people you see selling them are online retailers and whole salers. kinda makes you wonder where they are all going if you never see hobbyists offering up frags on sale forums.

right now, i think those new ORA corals have reached the "craze" level. small, very high priced for what you get, and nothing really that *rare* that hasn't been in the hobby before. its all about the name....

not sure about the next craze, some awesome chalices are still kinda lingering around.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is any craze going on right now. Kinda hard to predict the next one. The ORA stuff isn't a craze IMO. They only allow 1-2 frags of each of the new corals per store. So they kind of built up a demand for it. It may turn into one though. I heard from a close friend that they plan to release a bunch of sweet stuff this year. Looks like they've had a great start. :)

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is any craze going on right now. Kinda hard to predict the next one. The ORA stuff isn't a craze IMO. They only allow 1-2 frags of each of the new corals per store. So they kind of built up a demand for it. It may turn into one though. I heard from a close friend that they plan to release a bunch of sweet stuff this year. Looks like they've had a great start. :)

its all about hype IMO. theres only been 1 decent new release out of the 4 so far.

dustin's deepwater = truely unique
phil's granulosa = not even a granulosa, suhrasoni colonies can be found on live aquaria and mrcoral everyday.
hawkins echinata = not a true echinata, looks like every other turaki i've ever owned
pearlberry = eh, looks like your run of the mill tri-color

waaaaaaay overhyped.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its all about hype IMO. theres only been 1 decent new release out of the 4 so far.

phil's granulosa = not even a granulosa, suhrasoni colonies can be found on live aquaria and mrcoral everyday.
hawkins echinata = not a true echinata, looks like every other turaki i've ever owned

waaaaaaay overhyped.

True, but they are nice though. And aqua-cultured. :)

I have the Dustin's and I plan to pick up the hawkin's. The others I'm not impressed with at all. We are ordering from them in the next week or so. I hope to get a sweet pair of picassos as well.

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Think The Craze Is Moving Over To Le Sps, (ora, Tyree, Atl, Frag Farmer) Etc. I Think Everyone Wants To Say Ive Got A Named Coral, But Everyone Is Getting Them After A While They Will Be Everywhere At Every Swap. As Far As The Next Craze Maybe Brown Button Polyps Lol.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tell you where the acans are going. They are going in hobbiest and VENDOR tanks and nobdy is selling! These Aussie acans are some of the most fav things in my tank and they are so beautiful. They are hard for people to get rid I am telling you.

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Rev about the aussies. I really like the colors of them also.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

waaaaaaay overhyped.

the phil's actually might be a granulosa, it's not a suhar, growth form is different. granulosa has a lot of different subspecies and only a grown out frag will help in id.

i'll agree the hawkins is not echinata, but i'm not certain it's a turaki either.

I'm reserving judgement on the pearlberry till i see one in person. it didnt' look like a tricolor to me though,

R

reef-nut

View Badges
I do not know what the craze is now, but ricordea and zoanthids will always be tops for me and the price sure does not seem to ever come down.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Think The Craze Is Moving Over To Le Sps, (ora, Tyree, Atl, Frag Farmer) Etc. I Think Everyone Wants To Say Ive Got A Named Coral, But Everyone Is Getting Them After A While They Will Be Everywhere At Every Swap. As Far As The Next Craze Maybe Brown Button Polyps Lol.

there was an sps craze a couple of years ago, i doubt it will come back unless there are a bunch of sps types that we've never seen before (i.e. like the intro duction of aussie acans to a dull indo acan market)

there was already a ricordia craze bout 5 years ago. i think people are still feeling pretty stupid for how much they paid per polyp for some of them....lol

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will always come full circle. SPS will be next, or soon will be, i'll bet money on it.
The good thing about sps is all the marine cultured coming in. You can find prettymuch any acro you want for a decent price so youre not stuck with a frag thats priced 200 a half inch.
If it doesnt come back to sps the better for me to get what i want.

antdogz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ricordia and zoos

SPAM - if you are interested in sponsoring at CZ, please contact RevHtree. in the mean time, please refrain from commercial oriented posts.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd bet on encrusting montiporas to make a strong showing. There have been quite a few nice ones that have shown up lately which should feed the demand. Plus, the "old standbys" still command a decent price and high demand.

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care what the next craze is. I just hope the hobby continues to move towards more aquacultured corals and livestock. We need to go there.

dieselab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chalices like the mummy eye, bazooka joe and miami hurricane and montis like the forest fire, orenji and red hot chili pepper

KEEPERZ

TOTM March 08'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chalices like the mummy eye, bazooka joe and miami hurricane and montis like the forest fire, orenji and red hot chili pepper
I agree, so when you sending them down to me-orenji,ff and red hot needed in Vegas-:)

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • Full frame

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • All of the above

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back