What is the proper way to use hanna checkers?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some context, I recently got a hanna low range phosphate checker and I have a few questions for people with expirance with these testers. Firstly, how do you get all the tritant out of the packet? Also the instruction manual says to keep the vial clear of fingerprints for a more accurate result, so, how do I handle it? And overall what's the best way to ensure you get 10 mm without having to buy a graduated pipette? The best wait time before testing and mixing, does lighting matter? Thank you for the help.

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll detail my experience.

I measure 10mL in a syringe in one vial, and 10mL in the second. I shake the tritant like a salt packet, then cut a corner and shake it in the second vial. I wipe them over with a microfibre cloth to remove fingerprints etc etc.

Add vial 1 to checker, perform C1 test, then add vial 2, do long press test. Then I repeat these steps 5-6 times to get multiple results, add them together and determine the average so I can hopefully reduce my error margin (3 is sufficient though, I'm just thorough). Basically hot swapping the vials.

Once I have conducted my tests, I rinse the vials out with RODI a few times, I dry the outside with a paper towel, or my shirt, then I just let the vials airdry

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give the pack a flick a few times to get the reagent in the bottom corner. Then cut along the dotted line and fold it out into a funnel and give it a tap to get as much reagent as possible in the bottom.
You hold the vial at the bottom and give it a wipe with a cloth. I use a micro fiber cloth before placing into the checker. The Hanna sensor is in the middle.
Always try to line it up the same at C1 and C2.
I always line up the . in Hanna.Com

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll detail my experience.

I measure 10mL in a syringe in one vial, and 10mL in the second. I shake the tritant like a salt packet, then cut a corner and shake it in the second vial. I wipe them over with a microfibre cloth to remove fingerprints etc etc.

Add vial 1 to checker, perform C1 test, then add vial 2, do long press test. Then I repeat these steps 5-6 times to get multiple results, add them together and determine the average so I can hopefully reduce my error margin (3 is sufficient though, I'm just thorough). Basically hot swapping the vials.

Once I have conducted my tests, I rinse the vials out with RODI a few times, I dry the outside with a paper towel, or my shirt, then I just let the vials airdry
expensive testing. I'll test 2x if my first reading feels wrong

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, how do you get all the tritant out of the packet?
I asked this question in the past, and the response was that it's not necessary to get every last bit of powder out for it to provide an accurate reading.
Also the instruction manual says to keep the vial clear of fingerprints for a more accurate result, so, how do I handle it?
I use a lint free cloth and after adding the salt water to the vial and close it up, I clean the outside really well and remove any smudges. You'll also want to make note how you place the vial into the egg. I always make it a point to face the 10 forward, so that after you take the 1st reading and remove to add the packet, you place the 10 facing forward, you'll remove any chance that you're going to get variations in the glass thickness skewing results.
what's the best way to ensure you get 10 mm without having to buy a graduated pipette?
There have been issues with the silkscreening being off and not necessarily accurately 10ml. But as long as you're filling it with the meniscus at the line everytime you'll at least get consistent readings.
The best wait time before testing and mixing, does lighting matter?
As long as the egg is closed, lighting doesn't matter. But keep in mind we're not talking about a spot light shining right on it. The plastic cover can only block out so much light.

Murphs_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both bottles. Rinse then in tank water and then fill them both with 10ml of water.

Clean and dry off the first bottle and place in the checker. C1 and then C2. That calibrates the tester.

Tap the packet of reagent and cut along the line, gently tip the content into the second bottle. Invert 3 times and wait until the reagent dissolved.

Swap the bottles and then test.

Frank61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FIW: I first rinse the vial with tank water, then empty it. I then use a soft disposable 3ml pipette to accurately fill the vial so that the bottom of the meniscus just touches the fill line. It is then cleaned with a microfiber cloth before putting it in the colorimeter. Before opening the reagent packet, I flick the packet with my finger around the periphery as I rotate it to loosen all the reagent. It is then cut as directed on the packet and I form a spout to pour/tap all of the reagent into the vial. I use a timer on my phone and shake the vial as directed. The vial is then wiped again, before reinserting it into the checker.

Timing is important; lighting is not, as the Hanna checker lid blocks ambient light from affecting the reading.

I rinse and clean the vials and pipettes promptly to prevent staining and contamination of future tests.

I seem to get very consistent results for Nitrate, Phosphorus, Copper and Alkalinity.

Hope this helps.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FIW: I first rinse the vial with tank water, then empty it. I then use a soft disposable 3ml pipette to accurately fill the vial so that the bottom of the meniscus just touches the fill line. It is then cleaned with a microfiber cloth before putting it in the colorimeter. Before opening the reagent packet, I flick the packet with my finger around the periphery as I rotate it to loosen all the reagent. It is then cut as directed on the packet and I form a spout to pour/tap all of the reagent into the vial. I use a timer on my phone and shake the vial as directed. The vial is then wiped again, before reinserting it into the checker.

Timing is important; lighting is not, as the Hanna checker lid blocks ambient light from affecting the reading.

I rinse and clean the vials and pipettes promptly to prevent staining and contamination of future tests.

I seem to get very consistent results for Nitrate, Phosphorus, Copper and Alkalinity.

Hope this helps.
I use a 10ml syringe.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so ocd when it comes to this test, I love and hate this checker.

-I have a small irrigation bottle always filled with ro/di water. I first empty the bottle (I store the bottle with ro/di water) and rinse it out with tank water a couple times.

- I use a 10ml strange, fill and squirt it out a couple times before filling with 10ml.

- I fill and cap the bottle then squirt the bottle with ro/di and wipe down with a microfiber cloth until dry.

-I then take an eye glass lint free cloth and wipe the cuvette. I check for bubbles and then place the cuvette in the tester with the 10ml facing front.

-I then grab a packet and tap the edges a few times to force the reagent to the farthest corner from where I cut.

- I open the cuvette and pour it in(I form a spout with the package to make sure it all goes in). I cap it and set a 90 second timer and start shaking it.

-Timer goes off and I wipe the cuvette down once again with the eye glass cleaning cloth and make sure there are no bubbles. I place the cuvette in and hold the button down until the timer starts.

-I then empty the bottle and rinse with tap a few times, then squirt ro/di and swish a few more. Last step is filling the cuvette with ro, cap and put it away.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a pipettor from Amazon. I did an accuracy test on it when i first received it and was at 100.07% when measuring 10 ml.

Add 10 ml tank water.
Wipe off with microfiber cloth.
zero tester
fold reagent packet in half diagonally cut along line
open packet into a funnel
pour into vial
shake time required by instructions I have a clock with a second hand on the wall above my test station.
wipe with micro fiber towel
place in tester and test.
rinse with rodi and store upside down in test kit organizer

Edited to add

Do it the same way everytime.

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting tips from folks is good, but personally I suggest to watch a few different youtube videos when it comes to hanna, or any other test for that matter. Watching a few people do it is easier than trying to decipher what is correct from peoples personal habbits, reading through the above, everyone has slightly different method.

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Kimwipes to get the fingerprints off. Their like paper towels for scientists that don't leave any fuzz. I just breath on the vial a little like you do with sunglasses then wipe it real good with a Kimwipe. I do it before zeroing and then again after I add the reagent.

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok now I got you. But does the reaction stop or does it keep going which would skew the final result?
Nah never had an issue. I’ve attempted it by using fresh sachets of the titrant, and got the same averages, within 0.005, so worked quite well reusing it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back