What is this Algae

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi what is this algae it sort of looks like caullerpa when you look closely at it
1614097336015.png

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this answer sometimes angers folks but its meant to help vs anger

not sure of the strain. the important part is its been associated with tank loss/willing takedown due to takeover posts, and you have a chance to act early vs take a chance.

be lifting out each rock its on, use a knife to detail scrape around non targets, pulling back and debriding the algae off the rock like a big tooth sitting on the counter. put peroxide on the former algae spots you made clean already, rinse, put back in reef without X

my advice is to specifically not bother with ID nor adding things to the water to maybe solve it. that's exactly how they wound up with a willing takedown

we have hundreds of these examples already logged if wanted to see before and afters, the recommend above comes from lots of practice. we wouldn't dose vibrant, or fluconazole, because our goal isn't to wreck your system with a tradeoff invasion in three months, ours is an export way.

it is reef dentistry. Im making a new article on it, building up work examples in fact.

the alternative is willing take downs sometimes, and in other times total success as vibrant has killed target algae in many reefs. Long term tracking is where things differ

reef dentistry has the best long term tracking of them all. we're flushing, rasping, avoiding nontarget areas and getting out accumulations using metal tools and exporting, exactly as a dentist does but in a reef tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

truly don't know. Ive seen it called brush algae, gha that's about it.

I bet marine algae data base would have something though in pics, to reference.

also no need to scissor chop the whole tank at once, we advocate practice on one rock. have a test rock that always complies with your ideal, by force, among all the others you try and coax that's key strategy. then when it comes time to upscale its a walk in the park, already known outcome and practiced.

see how different that is from randomly dosing stuff into the water and waiting/backseating our way is very deliberate, in fact you're already fixed of the matter its that reliable. very handy fallback mode. dentistry is the least harming to the coral, the others are sustained chemical soups.

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for bryopsis. There are a few different types but they generally have a "plume" towards the tips of some strands. They can become quite a problem if they really establish themselves. You used to be able to use Kent Tech M to raise the magnesium to about 1800 (confirmed by experience). The additive they used in the product was supposedly the effective part. I hear they removed it years ago though.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 76.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.9%
Back