What is wrong with my blonde naso tang

yUwEn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, as said by the title above, my blonde naso is not feeling alright. I saw white patches on my blonde naso from the face to the body and start dosing cupramine. It also have a white thing at its tail that looks like a pimple. Today is the third day after the 2nd dose yesterday which is after 48 hours from the first day. What disease is this and does copper treat this disease at all?

IMG-20230110-WA0002.jpg IMG-20230110-WA0006.jpg IMG-20230110-WA0005.jpg

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, as said by the title above, my blonde naso is not feeling alright. I saw white patches on my blonde naso from the face to the body and start dosing cupramine. It also have a white thing at its tail that looks like a pimple. Today is the third day after the 2nd dose yesterday which is after 48 hours from the first day. What disease is this and does copper treat this disease at all?

IMG-20230110-WA0002.jpg IMG-20230110-WA0006.jpg IMG-20230110-WA0005.jpg
U have to treat it fast. I hv seen this before. Try freshwater dip as I think it can be flakes. See if they comes out.Can also be lymphocystis or just bacterial infection. Is it itching?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi, more background info is needed (pics only tell part of the story).

This link gives information about what is needed:

What is the current Cupramine level?
How long have you had this fish?
We are seeing a LOT of issues with newly acquired blonde nasos, I don't know why.

Jay

OP
OP
Y

yUwEn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, more background info is needed (pics only tell part of the story).

This link gives information about what is needed:

What is the current Cupramine level?
How long have you had this fish?
We are seeing a LOT of issues with newly acquired blonde nasos, I don't know why.

Jay
So after the second dose i is at 0.25.
I had this fish for a week.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine needs to be at 0.40 before it starts to work, 0.50 is considered a full dose. You are only at half a dose, so it won’t treat any diseases until it is.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
U have to treat it fast. I hv seen this before. Try freshwater dip as I think it can be flakes. See if they comes out.Can also be lymphocystis or just bacterial infection. Is it itching?
These do not appear to be flukes which are rarely seen to naked eye except with neobendia species and a fish this sensitive can easily go down with incorrect assessments and treatment. I love to see willingness from others to help by anyone but we have a Fish Medic team for a reason.
We cannot guess in this hobby which can lead to tank wipeouts. Jay who heads the team is assessing this which may be mucus plugs and Cryptocaryon but I agree more info needed - Not an educated guess.
Lympho is viral and does not have this appearance either.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You are in essence ramping up and it will do more harm than good. You have to reach therapeutic levels within 24-36 hours and treat for a FULL 30 days called a treatment cycle. How are you testing the copper levels?
The display tank will also have to be free of fish for 6-8 weeks to assure the parasites if present have gone through their life cycles and have died off

OP
OP
Y

yUwEn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine needs to be at 0.40 before it starts to work, 0.50 is considered a full dose. You are only at half a dose, so it won’t treat any diseases until it is.

Jay
First dose was at 0.5
Second dose was at 0.25
So now what should i do?

OP
OP
Y

yUwEn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are in essence ramping up and it will do more harm than good. You have to reach therapeutic levels within 24-36 hours and treat for a FULL 30 days called a treatment cycle. How are you testing the copper levels?
The display tank will also have to be free of fish for 6-8 weeks to assure the parasites if present have gone through their life cycles and have died off
You mean i have to keep my copper level at 0.5 at all time?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First dose was at 0.5
Second dose was at 0.25
So now what should i do?
I'm confused - do you mean that was the calculated dose that you added, or is that the dose that you measured?

If you are adding a full amount of copper, but a few hours later, it is not testing at a full dose, either there is some calcium material (coral sand, coral rock) in the water that is absorbing the copper, or your calculations are wrong.

The rough dose for Cupramine is 1 ml per 40 liters, then dose again after 48 hours. You need to confirm that final dose with a good copper test kit.

Jay

OP
OP
Y

yUwEn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused - do you mean that was the calculated dose that you added, or is that the dose that you measured?

If you are adding a full amount of copper, but a few hours later, it is not testing at a full dose, either there is some calcium material (coral sand, coral rock) in the water that is absorbing the copper, or your calculations are wrong.

The rough dose for Cupramine is 1 ml per 40 liters, then dose again after 48 hours. You need to confirm that final dose with a good copper test kit.

Jay
I tested it after the first dose and it read 0.5, then after second dose i reduce a little as i seen some people reduce it in this forum and it read 0.25

Is salifert copper testkit a good testkit?

And just fyi it started to have mucus on its left pectoral fin

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested it after the first dose and it read 0.5, then after second dose i reduce a little as i seen some people reduce it in this forum and it read 0.25

Is salifert copper testkit a good testkit?

And just fyi it started to have mucus on its left pectoral fin

Salifert copper test is fine for this product. I'm not sure why somebody would suggest you dose Cupramine at half the normal dose, but that is not good advice. Naso tangs are not overly sensitive to copper.

That said, as I mentioned, this species of fish has been having issues lately, due to unknown reasons. They are not living well after they have been imported. I don't know if there has been a change in how they are collected or handled, but it may also be that since Hawaii is closed to fish collection (regular nasos were caught there) that collectors are focusing more on blonde nasos from the Indo-Pacific, and what I see as an increase in problems with this species is actually just an increase in these fish being collected. @vetteguy53081 may have some additional insight.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I too have been seeing these issues even at LFS where the fish within a week or two are wasting away literally. They appear active but eat very little decreasing their desire to eat within days, appear active but slowly weaken, Its bad enough that Naso tangs do Not have a protective slime coat making them susceptible to disease, mainly velvet and they already have a velvety texture to them.
In speaking with Quality marine, divers den and saltwaterfish.com, they have been getting their livestock from indo pacific and Live aquaria also from Sri Lanka and ive noticed Naso , convict and clown from Sri Lanka not doing well also with same symptoms which is disturbing and suggesting poor collection and/or shipping practices.
Problem is they dont communicate with the collectors, just the wholesalers.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You mean i have to keep my copper level at 0.5 at all time?
Yes and Best would be coppersafe or copperPower in lieu of Chelated copper but those dose at a different level being 2.25-2.5 but also less harsh on the fish

OP
OP
Y

yUwEn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the mucus that you were saying earlier
These do not appear to be flukes which are rarely seen to naked eye except with neobendia species and a fish this sensitive can easily go down with incorrect assessments and treatment. I love to see willingness from others to help by anyone but we have a Fish Medic team for a reason.
We cannot guess in this hobby which can lead to tank wipeouts. Jay who heads the team is assessing this which may be mucus plugs and Cryptocaryon but I agree more info needed - Not an educated guess.
Lympho is viral and does not have this appearance either.
Sorry for the blur pictures, the fish swims away too quickly

Attachments

• IMG-20230111-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20230111-WA0016.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG-20230111-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20230111-WA0015.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 51

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is this the mucus that you were saying earlier

Sorry for the blur pictures, the fish swims away too quickly
You are treating with copper. These appear to be bacterial tufts and will be due to poor water quality mainly. During treatment , be sure to monitor ammonia levels with a Reliable copper test kit.
You can treat with Seachem kanaplex which is safe to treat with copper BUT do Note that I and some of us Do Not favor mixing meds and will be your own decision. If you do, be sure to increase oxygen with addition of air stone and again,, monitor water quality. If you need to change water, mix it with copper to .5 then add

OP
OP
Y

yUwEn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
You are treating with copper. These appear to be bacterial tufts and will be due to poor water quality mainly. During treatment , be sure to monitor ammonia levels with a Reliable copper test kit.
You can treat with Seachem kanaplex which is safe to treat with copper BUT do Note that I and some of us Do Not favor mixing meds and will be your own decision. If you do, be sure to increase oxygen with addition of air stone and again,, monitor water quality. If you need to change water, mix it with copper to .5 then add
Is kanaplex same as neoplex?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back