What is wrong with my clownfish?

benyseven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’m fairly inexperienced at keeping marine fish but I’ve managed to get 6 months in without any disasters - touch wood. But I’m now having concerns about my clownfish.

I first noticed something may be wrong around 2 weeks ago, under blue lights I noticed what looked like white patches on him and under his eyes that shined in the blue lights. I kept my eye on him as he was eating and acting normal and it appeared to clear up, however it seems to of come back and this time he has developed one cloudy eye and more white patches, he has been like this for a week and is still acting normal and eating well. It seems to clear up a little and then come back? All my other fish are completely fine and I’ve not added anything to the tank for around a month. I thought maybe something was attacking him but I don’t think I have anything in my tank that would As he is the biggest fish in the tank and I’ve seen no aggression from anyone.

stock is - Midas Blenny - 2 clowns - watchman - silver belly wrasse - hermits - pistol shrimp - cleaner shrimp and all my water parameters have been stable at all the safe levels.

I have started soaking their food in garlic guard as I read this may help .

advice needed!

344B0DC1-29F7-4657-9EEC-97C9584864D1.jpeg

OP
OP
B

benyseven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another picture

Attachments

• FF8DFA4C-F5AE-4F39-98DC-193F26B5AC1C.png
    FF8DFA4C-F5AE-4F39-98DC-193F26B5AC1C.png
    934.7 KB · Views: 41

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’m fairly inexperienced at keeping marine fish but I’ve managed to get 6 months in without any disasters - touch wood. But I’m now having concerns about my clownfish.

I first noticed something may be wrong around 2 weeks ago, under blue lights I noticed what looked like white patches on him and under his eyes that shined in the blue lights. I kept my eye on him as he was eating and acting normal and it appeared to clear up, however it seems to of come back and this time he has developed one cloudy eye and more white patches, he has been like this for a week and is still acting normal and eating well. It seems to clear up a little and then come back? All my other fish are completely fine and I’ve not added anything to the tank for around a month. I thought maybe something was attacking him but I don’t think I have anything in my tank that would As he is the biggest fish in the tank and I’ve seen no aggression from anyone.

stock is - Midas Blenny - 2 clowns - watchman - silver belly wrasse - hermits - pistol shrimp - cleaner shrimp and all my water parameters have been stable at all the safe levels.

I have started soaking their food in garlic guard as I read this may help .

advice needed!

344B0DC1-29F7-4657-9EEC-97C9584864D1.jpeg Definite issue. Brook or bacterial disease.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the first picture does look like Brooklynella, the timeline doesn’t really match up; clownfish that develop Brook don’t remain stable for two weeks like this.
Did your fish go through any quarantine? Are you seeing any rapid breathing or decreased appetite? Do you have a treatment tank you can use?
Jay

OP
OP
B

benyseven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the first picture does look like Brooklynella, the timeline doesn’t really match up; clownfish that develop Brook don’t remain stable for two weeks like this.
Did your fish go through any quarantine? Are you seeing any rapid breathing or decreased appetite? Do you have a treatment tank you can use?
Jay
This is why I’m confused as to what it is, everything I’ve researched says brooklynella is a fast killer. My fish didn’t go through quarantine. As far as I can tell it’s appetite is the same and darts around grabbing the food and I’ve not noticed any heavy breathing. I don’t have a qt at the moment but will get one if necessary

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the two choices would be: just watch it, or move it to a treatment tank and treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic....
Jay

Back