What is wrong with my tank??

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on that brainstorm dunk is fine and for attached corals just work around that general area no freshwater

Or u can dislodge corals and put them back after rebuild

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanted to just pour the ro across rocks as you hold them and it runs down sink that's OK too, aiming around corals not across them

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanted to just pour the ro across rocks as you hold them and it runs down sink that's OK too, aiming around corals not across them
Okay I will try to dislodge what I can and try to scrub them over my skin in like a small bowl. Appreciate all the help. I will posting the results in here tomorrow and hopefully I can be one of the many who have had this method work for them!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post one full tank shot so we can see before pics, any standout details not seen so far will stand out

since we are planning a stepped up freshwater rinse component I wanted to see the degree of live rock stacked into the system

most rip cleans are rocks rinsed in saltwater only but this minor boost here of rinsing one step in freshwater will be fine if the normal rock ratios are present and in prior pics it all looked normal

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post one full tank shot so we can see before pics, any standout details not seen so far will stand out

since we are planning a stepped up freshwater rinse component I wanted to see the degree of live rock stacked into the system

most rip cleans are rocks rinsed in saltwater only but this minor boost here of rinsing one step in freshwater will be fine if the normal rock ratios are present and in prior pics it all looked normal
Would using the same ro to dunk the toothbrush work for scrubbing rocks? or would I need new RO every time I scrub the rocks with them? Just trying to make sure I do all of this right

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed with the detail its total complete aquarium surgery needs good plan. in my opinion do the bulk of rinsing in saltwater for the rocks. save the freshwater quick part for the very final rock rinse, when there are the fewest target cells.

yes toothbrush is ok lightly not super force. that was a good question agreed bc it stood out that among rock rinse steps, the freshwater should be the last. we wanted rubbing and dislodging to carry away the main target sloughs off rocks. that type of initial saltwater rinsing isn't challenging the rock bacteria, and the final freshwater glaze over place back into saltwater clean, for holding, is a harmless squeeze on the cycling bacteria at the expense of dinos who really do not like osmotic challenges. lowering overall tank salinity has been used in many dinos control posts, we are integrating that step in the rip clean.

the number one goal above all is laser cloudless reassembly, from the bottom to the top. that will skip cycle every time, its nice to have the final equalizing action something that we can all totally control and not have to luck into.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed with the detail its total complete aquarium surgery needs good plan. in my opinion do the bulk of rinsing in saltwater for the rocks. save the freshwater quick part for the very final rock rinse, when there are the fewest target cells.

yes toothbrush is ok lightly not super force. that was a good question agreed bc it stood out that among rock rinse steps, the freshwater should be the last. we wanted rubbing and dislodging to carry away the main target sloughs off rocks. that type of initial saltwater rinsing isn't challenging the rock bacteria, and the final freshwater glaze over place back into saltwater clean, for holding, is a harmless squeeze on the cycling bacteria at the expense of dinos who really do not like osmotic challenges. lowering overall tank salinity has been used in many dinos control posts, we are integrating that step in the rip clean.

the number one goal above all is laser cloudless reassembly, from the bottom to the top. that will skip cycle every time, its nice to have the final equalizing action something that we can all totally control and not have to luck into.
Okay so scrub with some saltwater and then rinse with RO and then goes into clean saltwater and THEN the rock goes back into the tank

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would I need new RO every time I scrub the rocks with them? Just trying to make sure I do all of this right
Ideally 3 containers for rock
1 for scrubbing and rinsing,
2 for another rinse.
3 final holding container. In a New salt mix

sand rinse is somewhat easier using 2 containers. That way you can rinse in smaller batches. It’s tough getting a good rinse with all the sand in 1 bucket.

looking forward to seeing your tank all sparkly and clean!!!

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally 3 containers for rock
1 for scrubbing and rinsing,
2 for another rinse.
3 final holding container. In a New salt mix

sand rinse is somewhat easier using 2 containers. That way you can rinse in smaller batches. It’s tough getting a good rinse with all the sand in 1 bucket.

looking forward to seeing your tank all sparkly and clean!!!
So you scrubbed and rinsed the rocks with saltwater and then rinsed them with RO right?

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you scrubbed and rinsed the rocks with saltwater and then rinsed them with RO right?
I used tank water. Before disturbing anything in the tank to keep that water clean, I filled a bucket for scrubbing rocks.

A quick dip and swish rinse in RO. Sounds crazy but will not harm your bacteria.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used tank water. Before disturbing anything in the tank to keep that water clean, I filled a bucket for scrubbing rocks.

A quick dip and swish rinse in RO. Sounds crazy but will not harm your bacteria.
Okay so you just took out some tank water and used that to scrub the rocks?

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so you just took out some tank water and used that to scrub the rocks?
Yes, most of the dino/cyano is going to be in the sand and on the rocks. So I was not worried about using that water to scrub the rocks. The rock is going to get rinsed again anyway.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rip clean formula: take your entire investment, instantly reverse every known rule of aquarium biology you've ever heard or read all because a guy said so on the internet.

is that not exactly the caption of a rip clean event

:) they sure work well though lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B5816733-9EC1-4337-8ACB-DAF0DF7A62B2.jpeg

here we go

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a perfect degree of rocks it will skip cycle I'm positive. The main contact area is directly in the middle of flow, solid.

Shadow your documentation is so clear it is being actively used to save reef tanks from loss, without additives.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back