What is yellow thing and how do I remove it?

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I got a free colony of bambams and there's this yellow thing on it that looks like a sponge but I'm not sure as I have never seen one. I also dipped the whole thing yesterday so is it dead? It looks the same as it did before. Are these little things harmful and if so, how do I remove it? Can I just pluck it off with tweezers?

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo please
Oh my bad, I thought I had uploaded it...

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 6.47.41 PM.png

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pineapple sponge no issue. THOUGH I did slowly lose a torch because one of these irritated it to death. Could never really fully remove it

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that scares me enough to consider removing it.

These will often grow in your pumps or filter compartments. If it's close to a coral I usually try to remove it. Who knows about that torch though, could have been anything. Took over a year to die. The sponge was literally inside the torches skeleton. I couldn't ever get it out

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These will often grow in your pumps or filter compartments. If it's close to a coral I usually try to remove it. Who knows about that torch though, could have been anything. Took over a year to die. The sponge was literally inside the torches skeleton. I couldn't ever get it out

My tank is high in nutrients as it is new and they are basically growing right next to the zoas so I'm a little worried it might over take them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nor pineapple but rather poriferan sponge, also reef safe but can grow to a good size. If ity becomes a nuisance, you can trim off, expose to air or cutt off. They are not long lived in some cases.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with sponges are good. I actually spent today starting to build a completely dark crypt zone to start trying to house sponges in my sump. Planning a diy post on it when done.
Cryptic zones are cool s***. I'm sumpless but that is certainly on the agenda when that changes

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cryptic zones are cool s***. I'm sumpless but that is certainly on the agenda when that changes

Hey so I tried to remove it and I couldn't get rid of the whole thing so some of it just rotted away in the water and my goni and frogspawn are a bit unhappy. did it release like a toxin or somethng?

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated, yes it is a sponge. I wouldn’t remove it. Almost any coral will outcompete them for space. I think the issue with the frogspawn was likely due to a multitude of issues, not just a sponge rubbing up against it.
Most species prefer darker zones of the tank and will not do well in high light settings.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back